Back Up Now - curious issue

Th
TheWriter
Platform: Windows

Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 pm Post

Not sure if this is a Beta issue . . . or an operator issue.

I'm one of those people who needs to see a file or project save. So I was happily using the Ctrl S, and then yesterday, I found an icon - "Back Up Now". It worked great. Then I opened a second project today, and the function wouldn't work on that one - i.e. I saw no saving progress monitor. I started to write a post about it, but something odd happened. The icon changed to - "Back Up To" - and now wants a location every time.

I'm glad to be using an alias because even as I type this, I'm questioning my own recollection (sanity). But I specifically remember the flyover text labeling the icon as "Back Up Now", and it functioned in kind. But the only icon I see currently is "Back Up To".

Sorry to trouble you, but I hoped maybe my confusion made sense to someone. Thanks!

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 pm Post

This sounds like a version transition issue. In 1.6.1 there is only a "Back Up To" button available, but it happened to be using the "Back Up Now" icon. This was corrected in the 1.7 betas and the "Back Up To" option was also added, using its proper icon. The toolbar settings don't automatically reset when you upgrade or install over an existing copy of the program, since that would wipe user's custom settings, but in this case it seems like the settings got a little muddled when you either switched to the beta or switched back to the regular version--especially likely if you happen to have both installed simultaneously.

If you go to Tools > Customize Toolbars in the 1.7.0.6 beta, you'll see both backup options under the Main Toolbar buttons, and you can put Back Up Now back on your toolbar. For the sake of getting everything cleaned up, I'd also suggest doing a complete uninstall of any of your existing versions before installing the official 1.7 when it is released. (You can save and later reload your Options settings via the Manage drop-down button, but you will need to redo your custom settings for the toolbars.)

One other thing worth noting, though you may already be fully aware--Back Up Now runs the automatic backup routine, so backups made via that method count toward the number of automatic backups to keep, set in the Backup options. If you're only keeping the five most recent backups and you click the button five times in a session, you don't have any backups from the previous day. By comparison, Back Up To lets you choose where to save the backup, so you can save it somewhere entirely separate and it is not affected by the number of backups retained. That one is quite useful for saving to an external drive; backup now is great for just ensuring you have regular backups, and I'd just recommend that if you use it frequently, you ensure that Scrivener is set to retain more backups (or to never delete them at all).
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Th
TheWriter

Thu May 15, 2014 11:49 pm Post

Thanks for the fast response, and I do see both icons in the current beta. Whew! Feeling better.

I did *uninstall* Scrivener before downloading and executing the latest beta (1.7.0.6). However, I should have known something was amiss. At the time, there was only one instance of Scrivener showing on my Control Panel. It uninstalled 1.7.0.5 but 1.6.1.0 is still in residence, but I don't see it on the Control Panel - pic below. I can launch 1.6.1.0 from an old icon and inadvertently did that today.

I installed all the beta versions to a /Beta file path and installed 1.6.1.0 to the default path. Why does only the beta instance show up on the Control Panel for the uninstall when both are available to me?

Thanks for your help. Love the program, btw.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.69 KiB) Viewed 1993 times

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri May 16, 2014 8:14 am Post

Good! Sorry we were playing mind games with you. :)
This post should address the questions about the Programs & Features list.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Th
TheWriter

Fri May 16, 2014 9:18 pm Post

Grazie!