General question

Sciley
Platform: Windows

Mon May 12, 2014 9:09 am Post

Hey all,

I downloaded the latest beta the other day and installed it in a separate folder. I never installed the beta in a separate before, because I never thought of it. But someone recommanded doing it here, so I thought I should do it too :).

In the last days, it became clear to me, I don´t have the time to try the beta out at the moment and I decided to deinstall it again.
When I went to the part for programs in system controls and looked at my list of programs, only the beta of Scrivener showed up there.

I´m wondering now, if I would deinstall the beta, how can I be sure, that the full-released latest version will still be on my laptop?
Windows 7, 64 bit-System

Ma
Major Major

Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 pm Post

It sounds like you uninstalled your "main" version of Scrivener instead of the Beta. If you uninstall the Beta, you won't have any version left.

Mi
Mick

Mon May 12, 2014 1:02 pm Post

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction and have it blow up in your face, but here's what I do:

- Find your way into the directory where you've installed the Beta. (In my case, it's C:\Program Files (x86)\ScrivenerBETA.)

- Inside that folder, there's an application file called uninstall. (It's around 6MB in size.) Use that to uninstall the beta.
Last edited by Mick on Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sciley

Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 pm Post

Dear Major Major,

I haven´t actually done any uninstall, I was just checking. So no, I didn´t uninstall my main Scrivener version.

eta: the Scrivener version I am using says under "about Scrivener" that it is 1.6.1.0, so that one is still on the laptop somewhere, it just doesn´t show in the program list via system control
Last edited by Sciley on Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7, 64 bit-System

Sciley

Mon May 12, 2014 1:10 pm Post

Dear Mick,

thanks, I will check that out :)
Windows 7, 64 bit-System

Ma
Major Major

Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 pm Post

Sciley -

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Imterestingly, I just checked my system, on which I have both 1.6.1 and the current Beat installed, and only the 1.6.1 shows up in control panel. Extremely odd.

In any case, Mick's suggestion seems sound.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon May 12, 2014 8:55 pm Post

Scrivener's official version and the beta do not have separate registry entries, so only one entry will appear in the Programs & Features list. Uninstalling via Programs & Features or via the uninstall.exe in any given Scrivener installation folder will affect the registry settings, so if you have two installations simultaneously on the same account, it's best to remove the one you're not using and reinstall the other to clean up the settings. Save your current Options settings first via the "Manage" button in Tools > Options (do this in whichever Scrivener version you're actually using, since the beta may have updated options available and won't load the same in the official release). You can reload them as necessary through the same menu after the reinstall.

In some cases, you don't need to go through the whole reinstallation process; for instance, if you have more recently installed the version you want to keep, you can simple delete the installation folder for the older version without running the uninstaller. All the registry settings will go untouched and will still be pointing to the newer install that you're keeping, so that's safe to do. But if you're removing the most recently installed version, you'd want to do a reinstall of the older one to fix the broken registry paths that would arise that way, and if you're doing a reinstall anyway you might as well do a complete uninstall of the one you're trashing to clean up any loose ends.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Sciley

Wed May 21, 2014 9:36 am Post

Dear MM,

I´m sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post. Somehow I didn´t get the notification for it.

Do I need to deactivate Scrivener before I do the uninstall?

Thanks for you help!
Windows 7, 64 bit-System

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed May 21, 2014 4:59 pm Post

No, if you're just going to install again on the same account, don't deactivate.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Sciley

Wed May 21, 2014 5:49 pm Post

Dear MM,

thanks! Will go and uninstall now.