BETA 1.7.0.3 Released on 1st March 2014 (OLD)

bo
bookman
Platform: Windows

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:40 pm Post

I'm note sure if this is beta issue or if something else is causing it. I have the Scrivener beta installed on my Windows 7 desktop and the public Scrivener on a laptop with Windows 8.1. Both computers back up locally and save to Dropbox.

I have been running Scrivener on the desktop almost daily without issues. Then this week I took a short trip out of state and wrote on the laptop while I was gone. This morning, on my desktop with the beta installed, I attempted to open the project that I had worked on using the laptop. I could not open it. I got an error message saying that the beta had expired on March 1 and I needed to download a new copy from the website. First question, if it expired on March 1, how had I been using it almost daily up until March 19?

I opened the laptop and found that the project opened just fine from Dropbox (no beta on the laptop).

I had installed the beta in its own folder so that I could revert to the public version if I needed to. But when I had this issue this morning, I could not use the public Scrivener to open the file. I even went into the options and set all Scrivener files to open with the public version (which is in the X86 folder). Still, I got the error that my beta had expired.

Finally, the other strange thing is that the original version of Scrivener does not show up in the programs and features list in Windows control panel. I went there, thinking that if I uninstalled the beta, I could then open the project with the original Scrivener program. The only Scrivener listing there was for the beta, even though both copies existed on the computer.

In the end, I managed to open the file by finding and downloading the 1.7.0.3 beta. I still do not know:

1) what happened to the original Scrivener in Windows control panel and why only the beta shows there, even though they are installed in separate folders,

2) why when I tried to open the project using the original Scrivener, I still got the beta error message,

3) how I managed to use the beta for nearly three weeks after it supposedly expired, then suddenly it would not work.

I considered that I had protected myself against beta issues by keeping the public version on my computer. Now that this fiasco has happened, I wonder what happens at the end of the beta period. Do we just download and continue with a public release at that time?

Thanks.
Bookman53

bo
bookman

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:59 pm Post

Moderators: I apologize, but I see now that I might have posted my rather lengthy post about 1.7.0.3 issues in the wrong place. If I did, please move my previous post to the correct place. Thanks.
Bookman53

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 pm Post

Sorry for the late reply; I've been away for a couple weeks.

A few thoughts on what happened:

Scrivener's official version and the beta do not have separate registry entries, so usually only the last installed version will appear in the Programs & Features list. You can uninstall any installed version directly by navigating to its directory in Windows Explorer and then just running the uninstall.exe there. That will affect some registry settings, so its usually safest to save your current Options settings first via the "Manage" button in Tools > Options (do this in whichever Scrivener version you're actually using, since the beta may have updated options available). You can reload them as necessary through the same menu.

Most likely this was the issue you were running into when you got the expiration message while trying to open files by double-clicking the .scrivx, since only one path to the program is stored in the registry, and it sounds like that was to the beta. When you have multiple versions installed, you'll want to first open the program and then use File > Open there to access your projects to ensure you're opening them in the version you want.

As far as the expiration date, it could be a clock issue, it could be that you never closed the program in the first place so it didn't check the date until you re-launched. The beta date is a little flexible in that it doesn't just shut down the program while you're working when it hits the time, it just pops up the message next time you launch after the expiration period. 1.7.0.2, the previous beta, expired 31 March. The current beta, 1.7.0.3, expires 6 April, and we'll have a new release available then for download with a link posted in the forum here.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

gw
gwsk5597

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 pm Post

Well, the beta expired for me. Where's the update?

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:48 am Post

New beta will be uploaded shortly.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)