weird auto correct

Marta
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:56 pm Post

How do I go into the auto corrections and change an error?
I keep trying to write "other" and Scrivener auto corrects it to "towhee"
I looked in my VIEW PERSONAL WORD LIST, do not find "towhee" listed
It was also not listed in the EDIT SUBSTITUTIONS
Also, if I write it in all Caps (OTHER) it does not give the auto correction.
HUH? :?
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

Marta

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 am Post

Marta wrote:How do I go into the auto corrections and change an error?
I keep trying to write "other" and Scrivener auto corrects it to "towhee"
I looked in my VIEW PERSONAL WORD LIST, do not find "towhee" listed
It was also not listed in the EDIT SUBSTITUTIONS
Also, if I write it in all Caps (OTHER) it does not give the auto correction.
HUH? :?

more auto correct problems cropping up

I write mother it auto corrects it to mohter (or something like that. I can't remember exactly.)

I then very carefully rewrite mother, but it auto corrects it to the same misspelling
I go into Word, write mother make sure it is correct, then copy/paste. Same issue

I even unticked the "enable additional substitutions" but it still does it. It got so frustrating I had to go back to stable release

I've also noticed that the latest beta sometimes simply shuts down
When reopened nothing is lost, but it is still scary.
Other times, if--for instance-- I go to open a folder, it goes into a NOT RESPONDING mode. I wait a few minutes but then have to shut it down with CTRL+ALT+DEL

Beta must be eating more RAM as I've had no issues with the same exact project (around 700 MGS) in the stable release
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 am Post

I haven't been able at all to reproduce the autocorrect problems you're seeing. Which dictionary are you using? Also, how did you have your beta and regular versions installed--did you have both installed simultaneously, to different locations, or did you uninstall 1.6.1 then install the beta, then uninstall the beta and install 1.6.1? They'll share some of the same settings, so knowing whether and when anything was uninstalled or installed in parallel would make a difference.

Re: the crashes, do you remember anything you'd done prior to Scrivener closing that might've been the trigger? There are a few crashes we're in the middle of fixing for the next release, which seem to do with emptying trash and with the corkboard split, although I'm not sure specifically what's causing the second and whether there might be other triggers unrelated to the corkboard. If you've noticed any commonality between the times you've had the crash, please let us know.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:I haven't been able at all to reproduce the autocorrect problems you're seeing. Which dictionary are you using? Also, how did you have your beta and regular versions installed--did you have both installed simultaneously, to different locations, or did you uninstall 1.6.1 then install the beta, then uninstall the beta and install 1.6.1? They'll share some of the same settings, so knowing whether and when anything was uninstalled or installed in parallel would make a difference.

Re: the crashes, do you remember anything you'd done prior to Scrivener closing that might've been the trigger? There are a few crashes we're in the middle of fixing for the next release, which seem to do with emptying trash and with the corkboard split, although I'm not sure specifically what's causing the second and whether there might be other triggers unrelated to the corkboard. If you've noticed any commonality between the times you've had the crash, please let us know.

beta is installed in C:/Program Files/Scrivener-Beta
regular Scrivener installed in C:/Program Files/Scrivener

(attached is a screengrab of my OPTION SETTINGS--titled Beta.jpg

Now get ready for twilight zone.....

I typed in mother and other just now, but it did NOT give me a weird auto correct. (in fact, since it was the beginning of the sentence it auto capped the M -- which is great.)

I am bewildered. :?

I don't remember what I was doing when it crashed, I think just typing, but can't be sure
But one of the times when it went into the NOT RESPONDING I was writing in the top pane, then clicked on the bottom pane to change the image, then on a folder. That's when it froze.

screengrab of approximately how my screen looked at that point --Beta2.jpg NOT RESPONDING
Attachments
Beta.jpg
OPTION SETTINGS
Beta.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Beta2.jpg
NOT RESPONDING
Beta2.jpg (118.7 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

Marta

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:18 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Re: the crashes, do you remember anything you'd done prior to Scrivener closing that might've been the trigger? There are a few crashes we're in the middle of fixing for the next release, which seem to do with emptying trash and with the corkboard split, although I'm not sure specifically what's causing the second and whether there might be other triggers unrelated to the corkboard. If you've noticed any commonality between the times you've had the crash, please let us know.

OK, Just happened again. This time I can tell you exactly what happened
As you suspected, I emptied trash and the page I was writing went blank, I got the hourglass, and the NOT RESPONDING notice at the top of the screen

CTRL+ALT+DEL time

reopened, no loss of data, but getting nerve-wracking
going back to the stable Scrivener :cry:
Last edited by Marta on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

Li
Lilith

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:30 pm Post

Marta wrote:I've also noticed that the latest beta sometimes simply shuts down

I have noticed the same, most often when simply clicking on a document in the binder.