1.7.0.1 - Keyboard customisation

Li
Lilith
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:04 pm Post

Hi,

Has anybody tried to add or change keyboard shortcuts yet ?

I can successfully add a shortcut in the options, but when I try to use that shortcut, it does not work.

The one I am trying hard to put on my keybard is "convert to small caps".
This function works fine when used via the menu, so I guess that something might be wrong with keyboard customisation.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 pm Post

Have you tried other shortcuts? You may have a conflict with other, global shortcuts on your machine. Scrivener also has a lot of default shortcuts, so the options for simple shortcuts are limited, but if there's a conflict with another Scrivener-specific shortcut you should see both of them listed in red text in the Keyboard options, and you could always then remove the shortcut from the other menu item if it's one you don't use often (or if you want to change it to something else). You also usually want to avoid the Ctrl+Alt combo in shortcuts since Windows usually intercepts this and passes it as AltGr, so it never triggers the menu item.

I tried Ctrl+G, Ctrl+Shift+G for the small caps and that worked without issue, so it seems to be taking custom shortcuts correctly.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Li
Lilith

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 am Post

The first one I tried to use appeared in red indeed.
But before posting, I tried at least five others, of which I know that they are not in use on my computer (such as ctrl + shift + ".").
Now, there might bey a problem between the EN keyboard and the FR/BE keyboard, as punctuation signs don't have the same layout in the two.
I know that "." is not treated like a capital on an EN keyboard ; but on FR/BE, it is.

But I also tried some others, and none would work.

This time, I took your suggestions.
Ctrl + G is used already, but Ctrl + Shift + G is working.
Thank you.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 am Post

Lilith wrote:Now, there might bey a problem between the EN keyboard and the FR/BE keyboard, as punctuation signs don't have the same layout in the two.

That might be the problem. Ctrl+Shift+. on an English keyboard is the same as Ctrl+>, the shortcut for enlarging text. Or I suppose it may be treating it as Ctrl+; (is that the other punctuation on the . key? It's been years since I typed on a Belgian or French keyboard, so I'm just Googling images now). That's the shortcut for "outlined" formatting. You could try removing the shortcuts from those one at a time and see if it allows the shortcut to work for small caps.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Li
Lilith

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am Post

Indeed, that is the other one.
It gave me ctrl+shift+;

For small caps, I shall keep ctrl+shift+G as this one works.

Marta

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:31 pm Post

Lilith wrote:Indeed, that is the other one.
It gave me ctrl+shift+;

For small caps, I shall keep ctrl+shift+G as this one works.

Uhm. Interesting. I tried both CTRL+G and CTRL+SHIFT+ G but I did not get the small caps

I was able to go to the menu FORMAT>CONVERT>SMALL CAPS but nothing with keystrokes...
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com