BETA 1.5.0.6 RELEASED

LAP
Platform: Windows

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:45 am Post

1.5.0.6 Beta Download
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/Beta/Scrivener-1506-installer.exe

Beta Expiry = 21st Dec 2012
Note: Linux Users - we have compiled a Linux beta for 1.5.0.6 too on the Linux forum both deb and gz downloads - see here -> http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21064&p=141073#p141073

Bug Fixes and Enhancements
1. More RTF speed improvements reading/writing files - Scrivener for Windows should be even faster again.

2. We had some excellent reports from several Asian-language users reporting issues where changing a font in the editor only lasts until the project is closed; when reopened, the font has switched to something else. This opened a whole can of worms, invisible to English users, to do with Unicode RTF bugs or missing fetures. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20822. This took some time to identify the issue and fix. There were two parts to the problem, one with the Unicode Font text exported from Scrivener. The other problem is Unicode names of Fonts. They must be encoded in MultiByte with the right Korean character set of the font, this did not exist inside Scrivener and was a very tricky fix indeed. We noticed in our investigations that many other mainstream applications suffer from this issue. MS Word seems to be the best at handling it, so we have emulated its functionality.

3. A bug with exporting Inspector Comments and Imported them back again. There were annotation Ids imported inside the text.

4. Inspector Comment/Footnotes contents is now searchable.

5. Some Speed improvements in the document layout engine.

6. Extensive usability tweaks around the Inspector comments and footnotes to mimic Mac functionality.

7. Fixes inside the Compile Comments/Footnotes dialog.

8. When compiling to non RTF/Doc format, Inspector/Comments Footnotes are treated as Inline Comments/Footnotes.

9. Compile save and cancel now work as expected.

10. Crash fixed when attempting to edit the override formatting during compile.
Repeatable with the following steps:
-opened compile
-clicked on formatting tab; checked override formatting box
-selected to display title, synopsis, notes and text
-clicked modify
-crash when clicking anywhere on the "text" segment.

10. Shortcuts fixed for Inline Annotations and footnotes, Inspector Comments and Inspector Footnotes.

11. The keyboard accelerators for some of the new features still need to be updated. For example, use <Alt>, r, c to go into the Format > Convert submenu. All the new footnote and comment conversion options are down as using the i keyboard accelerator.

12. Updates to Kindle Geb breaking Scrivener mobi export.

13. Another problem with Scrivener's .mobi output has been found using the updated kindlegen which supports KF8. Scrivener uses points to define font sizes in its XHTML output, but the Kindle specs require non-fixed values, so percentages should be used instead. (c.f. <http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/ AmazonKindlePublishingGuidelines.pdf> 3.17) Fixed values prevent the font size from being adjusted by the device for newer models.

14. Fixed Link and Unlink menu.

15. Issues with Czech names in Name Generator tool have been fixed.

Not fixed:
- Bug report - When printing (or print previewing) the outliner, synopses at level 3 start with the first paragraph indented. My actual synopses are not indented. Synopses at level 1 do not show this problem. I have no synopses at level 2. This is when viewing the outliner beginning at the Draft/Manuscript or Part 1 levels. The problem does not happen at the chapter level. (No fix - we follow Mac functionality here).

- Bug report - If you check spelling and choose for one or more words "ignore spelling" the red line under the word disappears and the checker does not check the word anymore. But after closing and reopening the document, the ignored words do have the red lines again. (No fix required - Click Learn Spelling instead to add the word to your personal word list which will persist between sessions.)

Ongoing issues still to be solved:
Backup issues - Non replicable my end at this stage any assistance articulating a concrete repeatable use case would be most helpful - viewtopic.php?
f=32&t=20802&view=unread#p139915

MiniDumps from 1.5.0.5 regarding virtual memory
access - this is the bug we had a while back from several users which we still need to get to the bottom of and are unable to reproduce ourselves making it more difficult to track the exact cause in or outside of Scrivener.

Other uncommented beta posts...

Lee

temporalranger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 am Post

\o/ \o/ \o/

Now I can compile without having to close the beta and reopen my file in the "proper" version of Scrivener! Huzzah!

*heelclick*

Thanks guys! :)

tg
tg2k

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:58 am Post

Do the RTF changes by chance reduce the amount of spurious RTF formatting codes? I see what look like a lot of extra instances of fonts resetting to the default font in 1.2.5.0.

LAP

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 am Post

Do the RTF changes by chance reduce the amount of spurious RTF formatting codes?

There were speed optimisations in various aspects of the read/write parsing as well as hardcoding rtf tags directly in the code. Previously, the code was more elegant in that all rtf codes were looked up based on a key - hardcoding rtf tags in this instance made more sense for speed.

There was also work done to better support multibyte unicode and especially font naming - which was an issue with languages such Chinese and Korean previously and therefore necessary.

Lee

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 am Post

Great stuff, Lee. Lots of good in that list. I'm doing a download; interminable at the rate limit I have to set to avoid getting cut off while on the library's wifi here.

I'll write a note where we were discussing with starlight to get him to try this with his set of Korean-native fonts and Korean OS setup.

Take care, and thanks to all for all the work -- feels like Christmas here, in midst of your summer. Not bad weather in outer San Diego either -- a mild year so far.

Clive

Se
SeanMay

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:40 am Post

And still no Sync External Folder feature for us poor Windows users. When I bought Scrivener for Windows, I thought I'd get something that would eventually have all or most of the features of the Mac version. After a year of fiddly, inconsequential additions and bug fixes, I'm disappointed that nothing really major has seemed to happen to the software.

And the iOS version is MIA, too...this isn't giving me much confidence that you guys are too good at living up to the promises you make.

Mr
MrDithers

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:09 am Post

Actually, the Windows version of the program is developing much faster than the Mac version, if I gazed at the timeline correctly. I'm patiently waiting for the free-form cork-board and the custom metadata fields, but I've got workarounds for that for now, and collections allows me to finagle stuff that I would have to do in two other programs. Collections was out with the betas before the first real version came out a year ago. I think there's been phenomenal progress on the part of the Scrivener Windows team in the past year, and the promise of Mac parity (with Windows V.2) within the next year or so (at least I think that's what I read) has convinced me yet again there isn't any reason to by an overpriced Macbook Pro (for me at least ;P).

Thank you so much to the Windows Scrivener crew, you are demigods among mere mortals. :mrgreen:

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm Post

I would have to agree. They are moving at a great clip! There are features in the Windows 1.x series now that didn't arrive until Mac 2.x (like the OPML import. looking forward to that). It's barely been a year since the full 1.0 version was released, and we are now looking at 1.5 on the near horizon. They are doing just fine.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the External Folder Sync as well. And the iOS version. Remember, they have had to create the Windows/Linux and iOS versions from scratch. Just because you haven't heard anything about an iOS version recently, doesn't mean they aren't working on it. Plus, since they have said they are working on it, I think they would tell us if they had to cancel the project for some reason.

gw
gwsk5597

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:16 pm Post

Win Scrivener was quite buggy at 1.0, and not really that great. Since then it has improved considerably thanks to the dedication of Lee & Co. I'd like to use the freeform corkboard, but apart from that the current version has all the features I need.

Keep up the good work.

MimeticMouton

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:18 pm Post

SeanMay wrote:still no Sync External Folder feature

Sync with External Folder was a 2.0 feature in the Mac version and will likely be a 2.0 feature on Windows as well; the original 1.0 release was only ever intended to match the Mac's 1.54 functionality, which was quite a lot of work in itself. Lee got in a handful of 2.0 features nevertheless, as well as using the slicker interface from the get-go and a lot of 2.0 methodology. He has been working incredibly hard to keep the Windows version moving forward to catch up with the Mac version, which not only has many years' head-start but is a moving target as it also continues in development. Syncing features are certainly planned for the future, but synchronisation is not a small task. As Keith explained elsewhere, with the iOS version on the horizon (no, it has not been forgotten; we're hoping to have it ready in the first quarter of 2013, though we have never promised a release date since we prefer to take the time necessary to make the program good rather than just hitting the market fast) there will be a lot of work going into both the Mac and Windows versions to provide support for syncing with that, and at that point Lee will be better situated to look at the Sync with External Folder feature for Windows.

I understand that sync is your own personal high-priority item, but it's just one of many features, and other users also have their own favourites; plenty of other users have been dying for inspector comments and footnotes or the ability to import mindmaps or the import and split feature. We appreciate your purchasing Scrivener, and I hope that you did so because the program as it was at that time was useful to you in your writing, regardless of any pet wishlist items. We have always advocated buying Scrivener for what it is, not what you hope it may become. While the Windows version does have a clear roadmap as it works toward parity with the Mac version, this is not going to happen overnight. 2.0 for Windows will bring more Mac features into program, but even then it may not be at full parity yet. We've got exactly two programmers for Windows and we'd like to let them get sleep and see their families occasionally. :) So we are working toward this goal and always have been; the developers are coding as fast as they can without losing their desperate grip on sanity; and as Gandalf said (more or less), the Windows version will arrive precisely when it means to. Thanks to everyone who has supported Scrivener's development!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Wa
Wadadz

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:50 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:plenty of other users have been dying for inspector comments and footnotes or the ability to import mindmaps or the import and split feature.

I'm one of them. :mrgreen: For me, the 1.5 version will be a major upgrade with these features because of the biiiiiiig effort saved to transfert story structure from external application (mindmap...) to Scrivener.

Thanks to all for your impressive work, the development team and also support team, all smart and professional people.

LAP

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm Post

Thank you all very much for you kind words. I understand sync is a big one given that the whole world is moving towards cloud based services and mobile devices at a rapid rate. It's important we get this right. There's solid work been done in the iOS camp and in Android as well as desktop to ensure our mobile and sync options just work. As Ioa, stated, we'd rather get this right than rush and ensure our customers get the best possible experience and software as they have come to expect from us, and we expect it from ourselves - as passionate writers and Scrivener users.

Watch this space - Lee

Mr
MrDithers

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:22 pm Post

What about Windows 8 and the new tablets and so forth that it's using. I don't imagine they'd make it easy to just stick your Win Scriv on a Win8 tablet and off you go. Just curious is all.

MimeticMouton

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 am Post

Scrivener runs on Windows 8 on PCs, but the ARM tablets are a whole different operating system and significant work will need to go into developing Scrivener for that platform if that's a direction we decide to go--at the moment we haven't been able to dedicate any time to investigating this and evaluating the work necessary. Scrivener for iOS is already underway and that will pave the way for developing Scrivener for Android, so we'll just see where this goes when Lee and Tiho have a chance to look into the ARM tablets and what, if any, advantages that could offer Scrivener.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)