[1.5.0.5] Exe vanished?

temporalranger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am Post

Ok, so this is probably going to make me sound incompetent, but I swear I can find my way around Windows handily enough.

I restarted my laptop earlier today. Neither normal Scrivener nor the Beta were open at the time and the restart seemed to go normally - no booting to the normal/safe mode selection screen or system repair. I have shut down and rebooted several times since installing the Beta before this with no difficulties.

However, when I went to open the Beta to continue working the desktop icon I had created to the Beta had vanished. I didn't really think too much of it until I went to Program Files so I could create a new one and found that... the Exe file in the Scrivener Beta directory... wasn't there. The other files were there, but the .exe was notable in its absence.

It also wasn't in any of the subfolders, hidden or moved anywhere else that Windows Explorer could find. A check of my anti-virus history log shows it didn't touch the file.

My install directory looks rather like this:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.42 KiB) Viewed 591 times

My guess is more that it's something in Windows being funky, but since this is a beta and I've never seen this issue before, I figured I'd log a report in case it wasn't just coincidence that the beta got hit - or that it was actually a beta issue.

Windows Home Premium, 64 bit, 4GB RAM

MimeticMouton

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 am Post

Hum. If that's the entire contents of your installation directory, you're missing a lot more than just the executable:

I'm not sure what to suggest--I've seen files get moved around before, but due to quarantining or the like, which you've already checked. Installing again should fix it, in any case.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:56 am Post

I had this happen once. Your projects should be fine. Reinstall Scrivener, and it should be back. You probably won't even need to put a serial in.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

temporalranger

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:12 am Post

Oh, I wasn't worried about my projects - I know they're all safe and sound in a location that is very much not the install directory. ;) And I reinstalled without issues last night after I posted - just wanted to report the issue in case it was a Scrivener and not a Windows Explorer problem - and if you've had it happen with Scriv before, that might suggest that it is with the program, I suppose.

garpu

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm Post

I haven't gotten it since the 1st or 2nd official release, though. I chalked it up to a WINE issue, since nobody else had a problem. Don't want to make people panic, when it couldn't be an issue, you know?

garpu

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:58 pm Post

I haven't gotten it since the 1st or 2nd official release, though. I chalked it up to a WINE issue, since nobody else had a problem. Don't want to make people panic, when it couldn't be an issue, you know?

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:31 pm Post

Hmm.

What it kind of sounds like is that it could be an installer/deinstaller issue.

Deinstallers can leave scripts to intentionally remove last bits and pieces when they can, during next (re-)booting.

Postulate a scenario where Scrivener is open inadvertently when a fresh install is done, for example. Installer does what it does, and maybe installs the exe successfully, by one of possible pathways.

But the script to remove the prior edition is left potent. You reboot, and it activates, removing the exe and possibly other essentials.

There might be other ways besides Scrivener running when you install, with similar results?

Maybe some clues for Lee & crew in this made-up story.