SCRIVENER FOR WINDOWS 1.5.0.5 BETA RELEASED

LAP
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 pm Post

Hi Beta Testers,

We're very excited to announce that Scrivener for Windows 1.5 is now ready for public beta testing. We have tried very hard to release a robust public beta and hope to release this as a free update early December 2012. After which point we will be working towards version 2.0 of Scrivener for Windows and Linux and bringing the Windows platform inline with the Mac platform sometime after July 2013; famous last words.

With this release, there are now even more features in Windows that exist in Mac 2.x - inspector comments and footnotes being a rather large one - there has also been many other Mac 2.0 features in Scrivener for Windows and Linux since version 1.0 - such as Collections and a dozen other smaller features. In other areas, such as translations - Scrivener for Windows is ahead of the Mac platform. So, the lines of parity are now blurring somewhat between platforms. Personally, this is the first version of Scrivener for Windows and Linux that I feel particularly proud of given that we now have a very solid foundation in place with the majority of large and useful features in place - certainly many more than existed in Mac version 1.5.

We have also spent considerable effort splitting out the code base into autonomous libraries to ensure we can take full advantage of mobile devices with Scrivener moving forward. With QT 5.0 now in beta and Digia (owners of the QT C++ framework on which Scrivener for Windows and Linux is built) focused on getting full Android and iOS support in place, instead of via third party tools, it means our Scrivener core code base will be able to run native on these platforms with only UI changes and a recompile. As far as mobile platforms go, we will not have to develop new functionality, but rather turn components off to cater for limited screen real-estate and folk's large fingers. We're hoping to start work on the Android version early next year, as the iOS version nears completion. It remains to be seen what will happen with the new Windows 8 Win-RT Surface ARM device; however, the Windows 8 Surface-Pro will already run Scrivener for Windows natively. Certainly interesting times ahead.

NEW FEATURES FOR TESTING IN SCRIVENER 1.5:
1. OPML Import
2. OPML export
3. Mind map import (Freemind .mm format)
4. Mind map export (Freemind .mm format)
5. CSV export
6. Import and Split functionality
7. Import Scrivener Project functionality
8. Image background (texture) in full screen
9. Comprehensive Print preview functionality
10. Print index cards
11. Print outliner
12. Inspector comments and footnotes
13. Revised annotation, footnote and comments options
14. Scrivener now speaks:-English, Chinese, German, Italian and Sci-Fi. French, Spanish, Russian, Polish underway
15. Second phase of performance enhancements - Scrivener is faster again
16. Implemented Cancel within Compile dialog i.e. changes are no longer saved when Cancel is clicked
17. Project and Preset Replacements added to Compile dialog
18. Deleting Scrivener project files within the directory of an open Scrivener project is now prevented
19. Options->General - added checkbox to show full project path in title bar
20. Added "Take Snapshot" menu item in header bar i.e. right click document icon to see sub menu and added ability to sort snapshots
21. Improved debug and minidump reporting
22. Windows 8 compliant

WHY VERSION 1.5 AND NOT 1.3?
The bottom line is we need to start making our way towards Scrivener for Windows 2.0 and parity with Mac 2.x. Given that there is already so many Mac 2.x features in Scrivener for Windows 1.5 the version jump is already more than justified. The added benefit to Windows users is that the update is still free!

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE INSTALLING AND POSTING IN THIS FORUM
Note that this is a beta and not released software. This means that as beta testers you may experience Scrivener crashing, or heaven forbid, you might even lose work. The idea of beta testing is for beta testers to try out the software and report bugs in a meaningful way i.e. with as much detailed information as possible; preferably with step-by-step details of exactly what you did prior to experiencing a bug or crash. If a user report can be replicated by the developers bugs and crashes can generally be fixed very quickly. Failure to provide meaningful information makes it so much harder and time consuming. So, please if you report bugs, list your system details i.e. Windows 8 virtual machine, XP, or Vista etc. and the steps to replicate a bug. Sample cut-down-project-files, screenshots and screencasts are often extremely useful; as well as the minidump reports for crashes (in the Scrivener\minidump directory).

INSTALL SUGGESTIONS FOR BETA:
Install to a directory called: ScrivenerBETA.

Have fun with it, regards, Lee

Beta Download is here: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/Beta/Scrivener-1505-installer.exe

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:30 pm Post

Nice -- kind of figured you were busy with things good, Lee.

Checked today, and sure enough.

Thanks! and downloading...

So
Soquell

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 am Post

Outstanding!!!
Just Downloaded and imported two different FreeMind mindmaps into two chapters without a hitch, expandable chapters working well... I like the options of what to do with annotated text.
Congrats on the beta, noticeably faster. You just dropped a 327 Chevy into a Miata.

tg
tg2k

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 am Post

When I saw such a long list of features, I was sure I'd find something about making it easier to add Scrivener links. Oh well... :(

sl
slistack@comcast.net

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 pm Post

I am unable to print with this beta. I also get a blank when I push the print preview. I amusing a recent HP printer and am able to print from Word. I downloaded the Beta over the nonbeta, so I could continue my novel. Is this the problem? should I reinstall my printer? Is anyone else having this problem?

Je
Jeco
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:42 am Post

I printed OK from my netbook, directly (no via compile). Although the margins truncated some letters. I think that happened because I had set very small margins on a A4 sheet: 0.50. I have to experiment further. This beta has been stable so far.

I hope this helps.

Jeco
Writing is sculpturing your dream.

Marta

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 am Post

Import and split? WOW. Be still , my heart. I am a happy happy Scrivener use
Thanks, Lee!
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

Da
Dagger

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 pm Post

Bug and wish list so far:

Name Generator:
Tab "First Name Meanings" is not working. I get emtpy search results every time.
Also, the column "Meaning" springs into shallow width, only after dragging it springs back to full width.

Research and other auxiliary folders:
I save websites with Scrapbook in Firefox for offline use on production machine. While this plugin is the most capable of all the offline solutions I have tried so far, imported HTML files don't show pictures at all, not even wiki pages which are fairly generic. This just has to be a Scrivener issue.

Wish for next version:
Formatting a word e.g. bold by just putting the edit mark in there (as opposed to having to select an array).

Cross Referencing.

Template function for documents like in OSX version.

Save/Load for line spacing tweakments.

Stay compatible to WinXP. I just hate TOY OSes!

Compile window is non-modal like in OSX version, so I actually *can* copy and paste formatting from one entry to another like shown in one of the videos, instead of having to do all the formatting like n times over.

Mouse-free operation. Especially when navigating between documents.

A macro interface. Oh, boy! Thinking of this gives me brain orgasms!

Overall:
Synchronize features, capabilities, and handiness of OSX and Win versions as far as is possibly doable. Reading the amount of posts in this forum, it looks like Win/OSX users ratio could well reach 5/8, which means a considerable amount of customers for Scrivener Win that is well worth putting in allnighters ;)

Well, that's it for now.

That said:
Scrivener is the winner in my personal 5 day authoring software comparative test. I will buy it as soon as I start to feel taken seriously as a windows user. "Apple eye-candy computing" is not for everyone!

Best wishes and thanks for reading,
Dagger

P.S.: Big THANKYOU for the German UI!

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 pm Post

Dagger wrote:
That said:
Scrivener is the winner in my personal 5 day authoring software comparative test. I will buy it as soon as I start to feel taken seriously as a windows user. "Apple eye-candy computing" is not for everyone!

The (original) mac version has been around for... about 7 years in one form or another, maybe longer.
The windows version for two.
It has one full time and one part-time programers devoted to it (versus the one and only Mac developer/designer).
The Windows developers had to start from scratch; you can't just make a few tweaks on a Mac program and make it run on on Windows.

Lee, the main Windows programmer is rapidly catching up to the Mac version 2 features, even though the only promise that Literature and Latte as a whole made was to match the features that the Mac version 1 had before the big upgrade. In other words, they're giving you more than the Mac people had during Scrivener for Mac's 1.x days.

I'd say you're being treated very seriously. Also, you have the Apple "Eye-Candy" platform to thank for there even being a Scrivener at all. Keith (Mac developer and designer of Scrivener) found Windows to be too... frustrating... I guess? to develop for, so he moved to Mac and was able to see his vision come to life.

-Signed, a nosy ya-hoo who has nothing to do with making Scrivener for Windows. Or mac. :)
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

temporalranger
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm Post

If you'd poked around the forum a little more, you also would have found it stated several times that all the features currently in Mac would be incorporated in Windows 2.0 - which I believe is forecast for sometime next year.

But I definitely wouldn't say we Windows users aren't being taken seriously; like Robert said, they're having to rebuild the Windows version from scratch - they are honestly catching up as fast as they can, but it's just not possible for them to catch up on five years of extra development over night.

TL;DR: The Windows version is behind because it started development five years later than the Mac version, not because they "don't take you seriously as a Windows user". It is being caught up, and features will be synchronised.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 am Post

Dagger, I think you'll find Windows is being taken very seriously. I certainly have from the first, and through staying rather close to this project of Lee and team's since the beginning.

In particular, the rate of including Mac Scrivener items has been very high, and much more rapid than the original plans dared set out. The latest, 'nice' footnotes and comments, I am really happy to find on this Beta, as part of the small print in the release notes.

Aside from these observations, you might try putting your issues in the main Beta thread, so they'll get annotated and put on lists.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 pm Post

The Windows version is being taken *very* seriously, as others have pointed out. The total development costs for the Mac version came to a grand total of zero - it started out as my hobby, so the only cost was my time. By contrast, in order to port to Windows, we have put thousands and thousands of dollars into Windows development - both from Literature & Latte's funds and Lee's personal funds. Lee gave up a high-profile job and sold his beloved Mini Cooper to throw himself into this project, and has spent the last two years or so living and breathing Scrivener in an attempt to cover as much as possible of the seven years' worth of code that has gone into the Mac version. As others have pointed out, Lee has already added to 1.x features that we said were going to be part of a paid 2.x update next year. We all absolutely understand Windows users' desires to have all the features the Mac version has, and are working hard to make that a reality. But Lee's task can sometimes seem Sisyphean, because the Mac version is not standing still, either.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Marta

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:56 pm Post

KB wrote:The Windows version is being taken *very* seriously, as others have pointed out. The total development costs for the Mac version came to a grand total of zero - it started out as my hobby, so the only cost was my time. By contrast, in order to port to Windows, we have put thousands and thousands of dollars into Windows development - both from Literature & Latte's funds and Lee's personal funds. Lee gave up a high-profile job and sold his beloved Mini Cooper to throw himself into this project, and has spent the last two years or so living and breathing Scrivener in an attempt to cover as much as possible of the seven years' worth of code that has gone into the Mac version. As others have pointed out, Lee has already added to 1.x features that we said were going to be part of a paid 2.x update next year. We all absolutely understand Windows users' desires to have all the features the Mac version has, and are working hard to make that a reality. But Lee's task can sometimes seem Sisyphean, because the Mac version is not standing still, either.

All the best,
Keith

I would say that the great majority of Win Scrivener users are delighted with what we have right now.

I'm primarily a screenwriter on Final Draft 8, and the last update-- which gave me the import/export into FD8--- was the one feature I was anxiously waiting for.

This latest beta gave me the icing on the cake--import and split, and printing index cards and outline

Anyone that mewls about Win Scrivener should test out all the other Scrivener-wannabes, and they will see just how freakin' amazing Scrivener truly is. I tried many of them, and they do not even come close. The main competitor only allows one image per character (at least when I tested it) The esthetics and ease of use are not anything to brag about, and screenwriting issues are not even a consideration for any of the programs.
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 pm Post

Marta wrote:I would say that the great majority of Win Scrivener users are delighted with what we have right now.

I'm primarily a screenwriter on Final Draft 8, and the last update-- which gave me the import/export into FD8--- was the one feature I was anxiously waiting for.

This latest beta gave me the icing on the cake--import and split, and printing index cards and outline

Anyone that mewls about Win Scrivener should test out all the other Scrivener-wannabes, and they will see just how freakin' amazing Scrivener truly is. I tried many of them, and they do not even come close. The main competitor only allows one image per character (at least when I tested it) The esthetics and ease of use are not anything to brag about, and screenwriting issues are not even a consideration for any of the programs.

I agree with Marta, especially about screenwriting part.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.10 Beta

robertdguthrie

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:05 pm Post

KB wrote:Lee gave up a high-profile job and sold his beloved Mini Cooper to throw himself into this project

I knew about giving up another paying gig to be devoted to Scrivener full-time... but he gave up his Mini?! :shock: If that's not serious, I don't know what is.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?