When's the next official version to be released? [RESOLVED]

do
doogiet
Platform: Windows

Thu May 03, 2012 6:10 pm Post

I'm running the latest official release and click "check for updates" every time I load Scrivener. Is the next one coming soon? Should I uninstall what I have now and jump on the beta bandwagon? Is it stable enough yet to support serious usage?

Doug

gw
gwsk5597

Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 am Post

If I had to guess I'd say "probably not for a while."

Personally, I really wouldn't risk using the beta for any actual work. But I do have to say it is pretty tempting.

ol
oldrafe

Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm Post

FWIW, I've been using the beta for the most serious work I've got, and I've had no important problems. I just make sure to do a complete back up at least daily, sometimes twice a day if I've done a lot.

This beta fixed some annoying bugs that slowed me down a bit in the previous formal release, so I find the beta to be more efficient, and perfectly stable as far as I have seen.
OldRafe

The difference between fiction and real life is that fiction has to make sense.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat May 05, 2012 2:09 am Post

One thing to remember is that this is the beta of version 1.1, not version 2.0
That means that it has some new features and bits that have been added to the release version of 1.0, but isn't a complete coding overhaul. That might give you some comfort that the core program is stable.

However, as it *is* still beta software, there will be some bugs that may affect your decision. For example, the dictionary doesn't work in 1.1.0.3 (but has been fixed for the as-yet-unavailable 1.1.0.4).

Have a look at this thread for how I put it before:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17929&start=75#p124770

For me, the important question to ask yourself on whether to load up the beta or not is: "Why do I want to use the beta?"
If the answer is (a) "Because I want to help identify, track down and eliminate bugs" then go with the beta.
If the answer is (b) "Because it looks so shiny" then stick with the official release.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

LAP

Fri May 11, 2012 2:35 am Post

I'm running the latest official release and click "check for updates" every time I load Scrivener. Is the next one coming soon? Should I uninstall what I have now and jump on the beta bandwagon? Is it stable enough yet to support serious usage?

End of May is looking good. I would expect to have a new release of Scrivener late May 2012.

Lee