Compile > Formatting Crashes beta [FIXED]

Ay
Aycae
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:46 am Post

Hello,
In the latest beta (1.1.0.2 Win7x64), when you modify the formatting in Compile, Scrivener crashes if you:
  • Open Compile > Formatting
  • Select any of the types; Level 1 folder, Level 2+ Text, etc.
  • Open "Modify" to change the formating of the selected item
  • On the modify formatting pop-up, if you try to type anything (in fact, if you press any key) into the preview text, Scrivener crashes.
All the best,
Ayca

P.S. Lee and all, I just try not to overcrowd the bug posts once they are fixed so I do not get the chance to thank properly (now I am not sure :? whether this is a good practice at all) but really, thank you very much for all your efforts, I do appreciate it. And I really like the communication between all developers and users, I think this contributes a lot to what makes Scrivener what it is, so thank you all:)
Windows 7 x64 (main) -- Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox + Mac OSX Leopard

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:23 pm Post

Huh, is this a 64 bit problem? I can't reproduce it on WINE set to Windows 7. (Granted I'm on a 32 bit OS.) Can't make it crash under Linux, either.

P.S. Ditto. :) it's remarkable how well this beta from early days onward has just worked, and the level of communication has been incredible. I could tell horror stories about some other betas I've done...
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Ay
Aycae

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:52 pm Post

Heh, might be an x64 problem, but so far I have been able to reproduce this in a couple of Scrivener projects: if I try to type anything in the Compile > Formatting > Type (e.g. Level 1, Level 2+, etc) > Modify > Preview pop up (into the actual text preview) sequence, Scrivener crashes on me. It reminds me of the Scratch Pad crash as it also does not let me type anything and crashes if I do [now fixed in the upcoming version as FIXED #2], though I do not know whether these are even remotely related,

Cheers,
Ayca

SerenusZeitblom
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:13 pm Post

Tried to reproduce this on my Win7 x64 system using the tutorial project. There is a little lag after klicking on "Modify", but I can change settings there, they are shown and Scrivener does not crash.

If one of your projects is ZIP- and mailable I could check it if this is of any help. Just send it to listen@knelangen.de.
Cheers,
Franz-Josef

Ay
Aycae

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 pm Post

Serenus, thank you very much for your help offer --there is nothing critical in the files I used to test this, so thank you (but I will keep this in mind to ask you when I am in real trouble :) ). Upon yours and garpu's posts, I doubt this is a general problem but may rather be related with my pc. I created a new file just to see whether this happens again -- and it did. This time, I recorded it with windows problem steps recorder (psr.exe), which records all actions, takes screenshots and provides a log file, all in an *.mht file, which can then be opened in internet explorer. Just for the report's sake, I am posting the problem steps mht file.

Cheers,
Ayca
edith : forum doesn't allow mht extension, so I zipped it up.
Attachments
scrivener-crash.zip
(490.62 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

LAP

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 am Post

Ayca, sorry I can't replicate this one and I'm running 64bit Windows 7. Any chance of a quick screen cast with some free software like Jing - maybe there's something we can glean from that.

SerenusZeitblom, thanks for your generous help offer.
Lee

Ay
Aycae

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 am Post

Oki, here is the screencast-o-matic link for the crash (the page uses a java applet but there are download links to avi or mp4 in the page, if yo so desire):
http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/clfOXfCO3

Hope this helps. Also, may I add that I have installed Scrivener into C:\Program Files (x86)\ScrivenerBeta and that I have no other installations of Scrivener at the moment (I have uninstalled my registered stable copy and deregistered it prior to installing this beta).

Thank you,
Ayca

SerenusZeitblom
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 pm Post

Seems you're trying to type in that text window. Since this is a view-only window with dummy text, I never tried that before - I did after seeing your video but nothing happens in my Scrivener installation, neither on my Win7 x64 host nor on my XP VM machine ...
Cheers,
Franz-Josef

Ay
Aycae

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 pm Post

Yay! This is solved now with beta 1.1.0.3 :D And Franz-Josef, yes you're right, this indeed happened when trying to type into the dummy preview text (in fact not just type but any key input into that), which I accidentally did when I first encountered this error. The latest beta solves this (as well as the ScratchPad issue, which I cannot help but suspect is somehow related).
Just for the future record, to close this bug which seems to affect my machine only :?
  • This was a problem encountered in Scrivener beta 1.1.0.2 in a Windows 7 x64 setting,
  • I had Scrivener installed into a C:\Program Files (x86)\ScrivenerBeta\ folder (rather than the usual ...\Scrivener\ folder,
  • I have my user accounts on a different partition (on D drive) in Windows, so that is where Scrivener AppData also resides,
  • The crash occurred in any keyboard input to the dummy preview text in the pop-up window through the Compile> Formatting> Modify sequence.
So this is now solved :) Thank you all,
Best,
Ayca