Maths and Default Formatting [FIXED #3]

Ay
Aycae
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:49 am Post

Hello all,

I have been tinkering with MathType and MathML in the latest beta 1.1.0.2. Normally, both MathType and MathML allows editing the produced images later on through the context menu > Edit MathML or Edit MathType, however, I noticed that if I select some text and convert to default formatting, the formulae become image only -- i.e. the context menu displays "edit image", instead of maths editing options. Not sure if this is (known) a bug, and on a quick search, couldn't find similar posts, so just to let you know. In any case, if this is an inevitable behaviour, it might be nice to put a warning on the Conversion to Default Formatting window,

Cheers,
Ayca
Windows 7 x64 (main) -- Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox + Mac OSX Leopard

BobM_DesignScience
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 pm Post

Hmm. I'm using 1.1.0.2 as well, and I'm able to edit both MathType and MathML equations after changing text formatting. Anything special you're doing when you insert the equations? AFAIK, the only way to do that is from the Edit menu.

Ay
Aycae

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 am Post

I can consistently reproduce this, and on different scrivx files. It does not happen when you change the font only though, but occurs when you convert a selection of text into "Default Formatting" from Main Menu > Documents > Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style... option. This converts the editable formula to image (according to the context menu -- you can insert formulae only through Edit menu but once inserted, you can edit them from the context menu as well)

A couple of other observations from my brief test :) :
  • A live equation can be copied from and pasted to any scrivening and will still preserve its editable qualities,
  • Likewise, snapshot of a scrivening with live formulae preserves the editable qualities when rolled back,
  • however, a formula copied from a snapshot loses its editable qualities when pasted into a scrivening (i.e. when copied from the Snapshots pane without rolling back)
There seems to be some issues with mathtype server sporadically appearing and not quitting after Scrivener quits, but I have not been able to find a pattern to it and may well be irrelevant with Scrivener, as I am not familiar with MathType and it may be due to its own settings.

All the best,

Ayca
Windows 7 x64 (main) -- Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox + Mac OSX Leopard

LAP

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:57 pm Post

Thanks Ayca, indeed there was an issue when applying default formatting to existing content that was stripping out the meta data for MathML and MathType images in the rtf.

Well spotted - it has now been fixed.