1.1.0.4 Beta RELEASED

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:02 pm Post

I wouldn't downgrade, if you've got a later one installed, no.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Ph
Philipp
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm Post

I've got .net 4.0 and no problems with double and triple click with 1.03 and the new beta.

Did you try double-clicking in any other editor?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:59 pm Post

Also, once you do have a selection, can you click and drag the text to a new spot, or do you get the "Can't do that" mouse icon when you try?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Do
Dovahn
Platform: Windows

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 am Post

AmberV wrote:Also, once you do have a selection, can you click and drag the text to a new spot, or do you get the "Can't do that" mouse icon when you try?

Yes, I do get the "Can't do that" when trying to drag. I hadn't noticed that before.

And it works fine in other editors; just Scrivener that it doesn't work.

Ju
Jura

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:12 pm Post

I don't want to sound cheap, but can we use new updates from Scrivener with an existing license or should we get a new license? :)

Anyway, great work judging from the new features & bug fixing. Looking forward to the release version.

AmberV

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:54 pm Post

All 1.x updates will be free, it's still some time off before we'll be charging for an update. So jump in!
Ioa Petra'ka

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm Post

Minor niggle - It'd be easier for us to track these updates if you made a new post instead of retrospectively editing the first post in an old thread.

Also, can we assume that we don't need to re-raise bugs from 1.1.0.1 if they are still in 1.1.0.2 - even if you've not formally acknowledged them in the forum?
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

AmberV

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:13 pm Post

Updating the first post is necessary because it catches those that haven't yet clicked on the thread, but yes a brief update statement in response to the thread so that it triggers everyone's notification and RSS feeds would be a good step to take.
Ioa Petra'ka

LAP

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Sorry Philipp!

Don't use beta software unless you are comfortable with the premise. This is a genuine beta trial designed to help the developers catch and fix bugs and unintended consequences before the official release. If the 1.1.0.beta suddenly changes your laptop into a murderous robot hell-bent on destroying it's human masters(*), then L&L won't accept responsibility for that.

With that caveat out of the way, if you take sensible backup precautions (and I'd include regular compiles to a different format as part of any sensible backup regime, beta or not) then my personal experience is that it is stable and am using it for my own main projects, not just test documents.

(* - see the 1984 movie, "Runaway")

My thoughts exactly. Thanks pigfender.

LAP

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm Post

TotalBalance wrote:
LAP wrote:...
Regardless of whether there's a splash screen or not, if users (paid or trial) want to install the newest beta, I'd ask for an email address. Beyond tracking and metrics I believe having a "BETA" email list to more effectively communicate with some of my most important and valued users is of great value to everyone.

As for notifications, when the Beta is about to expire (say a week or two out) I'd send off a a series of email notification to all beta users and perhaps even include a survey with the last one to help better understand what's working, what needs improvement and in general get some great feedback.

This is certainly interesting. We'd need to set-up a process and system to manage this which will take time. I do like the idea of closing the beta to a group of people who want to be part of it from a manageability perspective. So having a bunch of hardcore Scrivener's who understand the philosophy of beta software testing and can provide good bug feedback is appealing. On the other hand, having a public release, whilst a little overwhelming, does ensure that the product gets well and truly flogged in ways more seasoned users wouldn't expect; which does give a certain amount of confidence upon release. I think there's a compromise in here somewhere, especially if we had an automated system that folks wanting to be part of a beta could subscribe to with an email and get an automated response for download. I also really like the idea of an anonymous closing beta survey. I know we get constant feedback on these forums, which is great, but there's value in aggregated metrics that can pinpoint trends we need to improve on - the hardest part will be asking the right questions I guess.

In summary, I like these ideas. Nothing will be implemented for this beta, but the seed is planted. We are improving with each release and I'm very excited not just with the Mac 2.x functionality that's being added daily to Windows/Linux, but also the robust systems we are gradually putting in place to ensure our quality remains at the highest level. Mobile is also going to be a big part of Scrivener 2012-2013, not just in the Apple domain either- there's two other bigger players out there which we'll be addressing in Windows 8 and Android; yes, both phone and tablet we're looking at now. So, the future is bright for Scrivener folks across all three desktops.
Lee

LAP

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 am Post

Dovahn wrote:... it would be very helpful to me at least to have some form of double-click-to-select-whole-words. Having such a functionality, even if it means tweaking spaces afterward, would make my workflow much easier, and I feel like others probably have the same issue. It makes it difficult for me to use Scrivener, because it's just that much harder to select multiple words at once (and I use that feature constantly in other text editors).

This should just work as AmberV stated. Double clicking should select a word, triple click to select paragraph, Ctrl+Shift+ RIGHT ARROW or LEFT ARROW keys to select next or previous word including space.

Upgrading .Net will not help as Scrivener does not use .Net. I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work in the code. Although, clearly it is not working for you and I assume it works in other programs.
Lee

LAP

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am Post

pigfender wrote:Minor niggle - It'd be easier for us to track these updates if you made a new post instead of retrospectively editing the first post in an old thread.

Also, can we assume that we don't need to re-raise bugs from 1.1.0.1 if they are still in 1.1.0.2 - even if you've not formally acknowledged them in the forum?

Please only raise the bugs once. I will try to get through and update posts and augment the title as follows in the next few days:
NOTED - Acknowledge post means I have noted it.
FIXED (BETA #) - bug has been fixed in beta number x.
NOT FIXED - A bug logged that has either been logged as part of a release and not acknowledged as a bug to be fixed in the beta, or not able to be fixed as part of the beta.
[RESOLVED] - Denotes another resolution - generally forum resolution to a post.

Release number in Scrivener work as follows:
1.1.0.2 is composed of the following:
MAJOR RELEASE =1
MINOR RELEASE=1
UPDATE=0
BETA NUMBER=2

For an actual release (non beta) the beta number will always be zero.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 am Post

Upgrading .Net will not help as Scrivener does not use .Net. I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work in the code.

Weird...Good to know. I'll chalk it up to correlation not equaling causation, then.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 am Post

AmberV wrote:Updating the first post is necessary because it catches those that haven't yet clicked on the thread, but yes a brief update statement in response to the thread so that it triggers everyone's notification and RSS feeds would be a good step to take.

Perhaps just update the first post by taking out the download link and refering people to a new post?
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

AmberV

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:35 am Post

Or that. :)
Ioa Petra'ka