1.1.0.4 Beta RELEASED

LAP
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 am Post

Here is the download link to the latest Scrivener beta for Windows - Beta 1.1.0.4

This beta expires 31st May 2012

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/BETA/Scrivener-1104-installer.exe

NOTE: This is a beta and has NOT BEEN properly tested and is likely to contain bugs which we need
to fix before it is ready for official release (most likely in 3-4). Please only log bugs
in this forum.

If you have Scrivener 1.0.3 (current official release) installed, you should install this beta in a
separate directory i.e. ScrivenerBeta1. If you already have beta 1.1.0.1 (first one issued on 26th March 2012), I recommend installing this new beta in a new directory and removing the previous beta.

RELEASE NOTES:
SCRIVENER FOR WINDOWS VERSION 1.1.0.2 BETA *PRE-RELEASE*

Thank you for downloading Scrivener for Windows 1.1.0.2 Beta. Please take a
moment to read this document before installing.

This beta addresses the following bugs in 1.1.0.1 issued on the 26th March 2012;

##There was an issue in the previous beta where registration information was requested several times under Windows. This should not have happened in a beta and has been fixed.

##There was an issue where settings for outliner columns was being lost. Hopefully, this is now fixed as well.

##The padlock in bottom right hand corner of the inspector was missing not allowing the inspector to be locked to a particular editor pane. This has been fixed.

##Exporting notes and meta data was functioning incorrectly, selecting notes exported metadata and selecting metadata exported notes. This has been fixed.

##A non-fiction template with sub parts has been added.

##The new ScratchPad had various issues with updating and displaying files correctly and caused Scrivener to crash in certain scenarios. We have re-written the main ScratchPad window entirely using different files system objects that should behave as expected.

##We have added an experimental setting in Options>Editor Settings for turning on/off font hinting. Qt, the framework Scrivener is built upon, definitely has issues here and this is a partial improvement - although it's not a complete fix and something that we may not be able to implement properly until Qt 5 is released later this year. Thank you Clive for raising this again. If you'd like to read more about this, I suggest the following links:
http://blogs.kde.org/node/4514
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17647&p=123007#p123007

##This beta is now running on our new one-click build and package from source code system. As a result we may have missed some things, we don't think so, but it's possible. This automatic build will enable us to maintain a consistent quality for builds moving forward.

Lee Powell
3rd April 2012

Here is the original beta 1.1.0.1 post below:

For Linux beta downloads:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17933&p=123797#p123797

The following post outlines what has been fixed and improved in this beta.

Lee

Hi All,
Given my silence on the forums for the past months, some of you are probably thinking I’ve been kicking back and relaxing since the 1.0 release - probably on some sunny beach in Sydney. Well, not exactly. For starters, the weather ‘downunder’ has been horrid. I did however have a wonderful break over Christmas and New Year visiting the east and west coasts of the USA for the first time - what an amazing country. Then to the UK to spend some time with Keith and the rest of the Scrivener team, and finally back home to rainy Australia. Aside from the trip, drinking too much in Times Square new years eve stiring up some American Cowboy fans about how real Aussies don’t wear pads and helmets when they play football - it’s all been Scrivener focused, and I’m very happy to announce that we plan to release Windows and Linux Scrivener beta 1.1.0 in a few days time.

What’s been great over the last few months, largely thanks to Jennifer and her great support on the forums, has been the focus both I and Tiho have been able to give Scrivener to get some key time-consuming-issues resolved. In particular, performance and stability. A great deal of effort has been put into making Scrivener considerably faster all round. Performance has been completely reviewed and optimised in this release. We’ll let you be the judge as to whether we have achieved that.

Another area we have spent considerable time, is with the Linux version. Like with the Windows community, we have a very supportive Linux community that have been wrestling patiently with a miriad of issues we’d never had time to resolve in the lead up to the Windows release. There were many issues that have now been addressed like: removing dependencies on Qt libraries, full tutorial and templates enablement, rpm packaging and even ‘extract and run’ from tar archive, as well as many other fixes. So, whilst Scrivener for Linux still remains in beta and officially unsupported, we hope that the Linux community will see that we do not plan on dropping this platform but are committed to continuously improve inline with Windows.

MathType support (Windows only) has now been added - I know there are many waiting for this. This functionality requires that you to have a version of MathType installed as MathType is a third-party application for creating mathematical formulas. MathType is great software and has a very nice graphical user interface (GUI) editor that is extremely comprehensive and easy to use.
MathType.png
MathType.png (79.44 KiB) Viewed 8096 times

We added MathML 2 support with a very rudimentary text editor in Scrivener, mainly because we felt sorry for Linux users; there is no MathType support on Linux. MathML is an XML markup syntax standard for defining mathematical formulas. Both of these solutions enable you to create mathematical formulas that get embedded as image types within Scrivener. If you right click on a mathematical image type you will be able to edit the formula in the relevant editor (MathType Graphical User Interface or native plain text XML in MathML editor).

If you're not interested in math in Scrivener, then skip this paragraph. A few weeks back I also noticed another excellent ‘basic’ forumula editor: ‘Daum Equation Editor’ - released purely for Google Chrome. This is a free web based application that enables you to create and save mathematical formulas as images. So, you might wish to check that out too. Also, with the edition of Multimarkdown 3.5 in Scrivener 1.1.0, which I’ll get to in a minute, you will now be able to enter mathematical formulas directly in Scrivener in plain text in one of two ways. Firstly, for the hardcore using LaTeX tex format or as MathML embedded in plain text with HTML metadata header to get MathJax or something like that to paint it in HTML. So, you really have quite a broad range of options now to consider within Scrivener. If you’re not a technical writer and that made no sense at all - don’t worry you’ll probably never have a need to use anything like these anyway.

Okay, enough math. We also added Final Draft FDX Import support for Scriptwriters. We are now starting work on export to FDX. We were hoping to have export in this release too but time has run out and it did not seem fair to hold back the release further.

Considerable effort has been put into adding mini crash dump reporting in the now hopefully ‘unlikely’ event that Scrivner crashes. Automatic dump files can be sent to the development team automatically if the user wishes to send them. This will enable us to fix hard to replicate bugs much faster and easier than we have been able to in the past.

We have also added a completely revised Scratch Pad to enable multiple files...
Scratchpad.png
Scratchpad.png (92.43 KiB) Viewed 8096 times

We also added print screen and screen grabbing capability in Scratch Pad so you can select an area the screen to print...
Print and Grab Screen.png
Print and Grab Screen.png (181.8 KiB) Viewed 8096 times

We have revised the Options dialog.
Options Dialog.png
Options Dialog.png (71.95 KiB) Viewed 8096 times

Added BBCode support I.e. ‘Copy Special to BBCode” so you can select your text in Scrivener and have it automatically converted to BBCode ready to paste directly into blogs and forum posts.

If you like me and spend way too much time procrastinating over color themes for your collections. We’ll I’ve done enough procrasting for us all and added some themed color collections to the ‘Collections’ color menu. I’ve designed it to be easy to add additional themes, so maybe we could look at getting some community approved themes into other releases - just thinking aloud?
Here's an example of some of the themes:
Collection Theme Colors.png
Collection Theme Colors.png (334.15 KiB) Viewed 8096 times

Finally, we have also added Multimarkdown to Scrivener for Windows and Linux. Markdown was created by John Gruber, in 2004. What it does is simple and brilliant: Markdown allows you to write using plain text, without a lot of markup or effort, and then export your writing as structurally valid XHTML (or HTML).
“The overriding design goal for Markdown’s formatting syntax is to make it as readable as possible. The idea is that a Markdown-formatted document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking like it’s been marked up with tags or formatting instructions.”
John Gruber

MultiMarkdown(MMD) was created by Fletcher Penney, it is an extension of Markdown, adding features to easily create tables, footnotes and citations, metadata, definition lists, and more. MultiMarkdown can also be exported to more formats beyond HTML, including: Outline Processor Markup Language, Open Document Format, and LaTeX. This means you can create entire books, articles, and presentations using MultiMarkdown from just plain text.

Personally, I use Multimarkdown exclusively within Scrivener. What I’ve come to love about MMD is that I can write entirely in plain text and am not constantly clicking the mouse to insert a footnote, citation, image, mathematical formula etc. - my focus stays on the writing and my projects remain extremely lightweight and lightning fast within Scrivener. I also love the fact that I can create content on any device I can enter plain text - which is pretty much everything mobile these days.

I’m not trying to push MMD, I realise there’s only a small audience for this currently, but if you decided to take a few days to get the hang of it, you’ll might find it hard to go back to rich text. If you are interested in learning more I’ve included some links at the end of this post.
Compile Dialog.png
Compile Dialog.png (161.52 KiB) Viewed 8096 times

There's a few other improvements and additions hidden away which I'm sure you'll find and more importantly find useful. This is getting a rather long post, so I'll move on to bug fixes.

There’s obviously been alot of bug fixes which I’m sorry you’ve had to wait for. They are listed here now. There are still more to fix, but I think we’ve resolved the highest priority ones in this release.

# Bug Fixes
## Collections
- Go To > Previous Document and Go To > Next Document now work
properly in collections to switch to the previous/next document
within the collection.
- Fixed bug whereby using Move To Up/Down commands or their
shortcuts in a collection caused a crash.
- Increased the number of collection tabs visible before the
scroll bar is displayed.

## Compile
- Fixed auto-numbering bug in ebook compile whereby numbers
were incorrectly incremented at each section break.
- Refined formatting options for title and prefix.
- Compile dialogue now always centres in the project window.
- Fixed bug whereby text compiled as a preview was editable.

## Corkboard
- Fixed bug whereby dragging a document from one project's
binder to another's corkboard could cause duplicate copies
of the document to be imported.

## Editor
- Fixed bug whereby using the Table Properties dialogue to
add more rows or columns to an existing table could result
in temporarily deleting rows/columns and losing their data.
- Fixed bug whereby using "Undo" after splitting a document
could delete text from the newly split document.
- Dragging non-webpages into the Edit > Link...
- panel now works correctly.

## Export
- Fixed bug preventing Scrivener from exporting to RTF documents
that had been imported or duplicates of imported documents.
- Fixed bug preventing non-text documents from being exported.

## Import
- Corrected bug whereby an additional space would be added
after a non-breaking space.

## Inspector
- Inspector notes added in the Mac version of Scrivener are
now indicated in the text and readable when opening the
project in Windows.

## Keywords
- Added option to automatically alphabetise keywords in the
Project Keywords panel
- Fixed bug whereby dragging text from the editor to the
keywords pane in the inspector would delete the original text.

## Outliner
- Fixed bug whereby outliner columns could be forgotten
when switching between modes.
- Fixed bug whereby column headers could have titles
truncated on both ends.

Lee

Where to start learning Markdown:
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics
Where to start learning about MultiMarkdown:
http://fletcher.github.com/peg-multimarkdown/mmd-manual.pdf

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 am Post

Wow! Thanks Lee. Can't wait to try it out.

Quick question on the Keywords alphabetise "bug" fix (I'd have called it a design choice rather than a bug, myself). Alphabetising is just an option, right? I mean, those of us that want out keywords in a bespoke order so that the most used ones are at the top, and all are conveniently located in groups can still do that?
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

LAP

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:25 am Post

Yes, that's right. You can move them around in an arbitrary order which wasn't possible previously.
Lee

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:31 am Post

Cheers!
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm Post

- Mac/Win inspector comments invisible.

I don't understand what this means... does 1.1 have inspector comments now? Right now, it always attempts (not always successfully) to convert inspector comments to inline annotations.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm Post

Wow! I'm psyched about the MMD support, since I use lilypond (a LaTeX dialect) for music. So I can actually make pretty music papers without Finale these days. :)

Oh yeah, the other features are nice, too.

Aside from the trip, drinking too much in Times Square new years eve stiring up some American Cowboy fans about how real Aussies don’t wear pads and helmets when they play football

Man, you walk into South Boston bars wearing a Habs sweater, too?
Last edited by garpu on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

gw
gwsk5597

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm Post

This is fantastic! Thank you so much!

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:37 pm Post

Sounds great, Lee.

Looking forward.

Best,
Clive

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:49 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:

I don't understand what this means... does 1.1 have inspector comments now? Right now, it always attempts (not always successfully) to convert inspector comments to inline annotations.

I need to double-check with Lee on this, so don't hold me to it, but I *believe* the way this is aiming to work right now is that inspector comments added in the Mac version will be visible in the editor when opening the project in Scrivener as sort of highlight on and brackets around the linked text, so that you can see where the comment is. Currently, the inspector comments are invisible, meaning that although they aren't lost, they can get shifted around in the text by accident when you're editing; now you'll have a visual indicator where that linked text is, and hovering should give you a tool-tip style pop-up to display the comment text. The notes aren't going to be editable yet--Lee was working for that but it's turning out to be a pretty huge coding issue, so he wasn't able to get it into this release, so having them at least readable is the current compromise. Again, though, I need to double-check with him about where we're at with this now to know for sure.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ca
Catsmad

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm Post

Looking good son. Can feel the familiar electric pulses in the upper spine now. Can't wait for a test drive.

pa
patlecat

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 am Post

OMG it's the return of the Markups in word-processors. That reminds me of the sweet days when I had to work on a Wang Text system some 25 years ago :lol: But those markups never really disapeared haven't they? I thought they might die with LaTeX but here they are again.

As a programmer, I'm totally comfortable with code between text (or the inverse). I'll definitley give it a try, speed of working and text handling is certainly a plus :idea:

Thanx mate

To
TotalBalance

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm Post

Glad to hear the new beta will be available soon. I'm very new to Scrivener and very excited with all Scrivener has to offer us Windows users. After one day of trial I went ahead and paid for a license. The fact I can also install it on my wife and college bound daughter's system is just fantastic!

I have only one regret with those services available to Mac users but not yet to us Windowers (yes, I do feel a bit like a widower due to one feature missing;-). And that feature is ... OPML import!!

Being a Buzan indoctrinated mind mapper before there were PCs readily available, later Mind Manager and now just good old Free Mind with iThought I sorely miss not being able to easily import into the Draft binder mindmap outlines in ANY flavor so as to maintain the outline structure.

I've probably read every previous support post that discusses this. Unless I've missed something, the best I could find was a recommendation create and import a folder/sub-folder structures. To hack this solution for mindmaps ... I just don't see it in the horizon. Please keep in mind I've got over a Tbyte of Mindmaps created over the years that I now wish to start turning into books. To manually create chapters, sections, etc. from these maps is not something I look forward to. However, OPML as the re-purposing transport agent is a god sent if I could just make that last "mile" with Scrivener.

I've actually begun to think about using VM Workstation/Viewer to run Mac OS just so I can have this feature!! Of course than I'd have to buy a Mac copy of Scrivener along with the VM and Mac OS licenses :roll: Even with the additional time and money involved it would still be a preferable solution but I'd really "rather not" :wink:

Can you provide any kind of timeline "outlining" when OPML Import will be available for us lowly Windows sufferers?

P.S. While trying to figure out work-arounds, one cool thing I did accomplish was to use the FreeMind Wordpress plugin on my localhost WP blog (run on an SD card) to display relevant maps. I then referenced the maps local URLs to the Research binder, selecting dynamic browser. Now when I need one of the maps to reference while writing I just pop it up as a split screen. The visuals really helps with the writing process.

P.S.S. If I've totally missed a solution please by all means chide me all you want but share what it is :-)

P.S.S.S If I shoulda posted elsewhere feel free to do so with my apology. Being my first post to this forum, along with being a Scrivener newby lover is my only excuse.

Best regards,

Lars
Lars
www.totalbalance.co
"Live In Integrity, Do The Right Thing, Help Others Be All They Can Be"!

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 pm Post

Which version of MMD works best with Scrivener? Should it be the most current one?
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

Ph
Philipp
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 pm Post

MMD in windows? Hurray, Hurray!! Did you do all this feature-adding and bug-hunting in only a few months? :shock: & Congrats!

Now for a tiny little wish: Export to plain text. Like, select a folder and all gets exported into an equally structured folder/files, but as plain text.

LAP

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:04 pm Post

Jennifer, your comments to Robert were spot on here - thanks.

MimeticMouton wrote:
robertdguthrie wrote:

I need to double-check with Lee on this, so don't hold me to it, but I *believe* the way this is aiming to work right now is that inspector comments added in the Mac version will be visible in the editor when opening the project in Scrivener as sort of highlight on and brackets around the linked text, so that you can see where the comment is. Currently, the inspector comments are invisible, meaning that although they aren't lost, they can get shifted around in the text by accident when you're editing; now you'll have a visual indicator where that linked text is, and hovering should give you a tool-tip style pop-up to display the comment text. The notes aren't going to be editable yet--Lee was working for that but it's turning out to be a pretty huge coding issue, so he wasn't able to get it into this release, so having them at least readable is the current compromise. Again, though, I need to double-check with him about where we're at with this now to know for sure.