Linux user thread

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:23 pm Post

The reason I put this forum as a sub-forum to Windows is because the two are tied together. For those using WINE, you'll probably get it faster than the Linux build, which they have to do separately, and if you are using the packages you'll need to wait a bit further for the maintainer to upgrade the package---but since it is in a repository now (I think?), you should get a notice of when that is ready when you run apt-get, or if your OS does that for you, a message stating updates are available. So keep an eye on the Windows bug forum for announcements, as that is where the first news will appear.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 am Post

I love that there is a linux version! Windows was one thing, but what was holding me up is that I do most of my writing on a Dell Inpiron Mini 9 running Ubuntu. I don't want to end up using multiple programs, or have to figure out which file I need to be working on if I ended up using Scriviner.

I guess I'm wondering if there will be seperate Windows and Linux versions that I have to purchase? While I do most of my writing in Linux, I do write in Windows as well.

I wish I had gotten this installed for NaNo this year, that would have helped some. Still won, but I think it would have made it easier. Keep up the good work!

ub
ubersoft
Platform: Linux

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:03 pm Post

Which file? The Linux version and the Windows version can use the same file. I was able to open my novel both versions.

roguish

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 am Post

uriel1998 wrote:
ubersoft wrote:They're releasing a new beta this weekend.

So that means we'll see it here as well? (I try to not assume things anymore...)

Any sighting of the new beta yet?
Roguish
Ubuntu 12.04 on Laptop/desktop/netbook

br
brightthings
Platform: Windows

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am Post

Just look under the main Scrivener on Linux board....
Asus Z77-Corsair Custom Build: Win 7 <> HP Proliant 350ML 64 bit: Mint <> Dell Optiplex 745 64 bit: Mountain Lion <> Dell Inspiron 8500: Maverick <> iBook G4: OSX Tiger <> Scrivener on Windows and Linux and Mac!

roguish

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 pm Post

Roguish
Ubuntu 12.04 on Laptop/desktop/netbook

je
jessykate

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:48 pm Post

Hi there,

I'm getting scrivener up and running on ubuntu 10.10. i followed the helpful instructions here:
http://literatureandlatte.com/wiki/doku ... r_in_Linux

and all seems well except when i start up the application it say, "This Beta 1.4 Scrivener for Windows expired on Sunday, January 30, 2011. Please download an updated version from the Scrivener for Windows website."

Is there a newer version i'm missing a link to, or a hack to get around this?

Thanks so much for making scrivener available for linux (even in beta!!).

garpu

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:21 pm Post

Yah. Check out the links on the Bug forum. It should be in a stickied post at the top.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

je
jessykate

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 pm Post

Aha, yes, thanks! I just found the other forum linking to 1.6 release:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11490&start=0

it works great now!

FWIW, it wouldn't install until i apt-get installed libaspell and libaspell-dev. it could probably be made more clear on the wiki page that those are hard dependencies as opposed to options (if anyone with wiki privs is reading this).

anyway, much appreciated!

RobHamm

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:38 am Post

Just because I wasn't sure where to put the initial post, I made a new topic for it, but basically, I put together a .deb for the 1.9 Linux beta. See the post at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12114 for details and links.
:-)
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

Three Blind Lice

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 pm Post

I'm in a mess with my Linux Scrivener installation and would appreciate some help.

I'm currently on the road, and a couple of days ago I used Scrivener on my eeepc until the battery was empty. Unlike what I expected, the eeepc (running puppeee linux) didn't go into hibernation, but simply cut off the power. After reloading the battery, it turned out that the SD card, which stores all my files, was in read-only mode, and the scrivener file itself was corrupted.

I managed to get hold of a windows system, and ran chkdsk, which found errors on the SD card's file system, and fixed them. The .scrivx file has completely vanished now, and I remain with a list of numbered rtfs as well as the "lost bytes" that chkdsk copied to three separate files.

I have two problems now...

1. What's the best way to reconstruct my work? I'm assuming that my texts are in the files, but like I said, the .scrvx file is gone. I have a two-week old backup, but I'm assuming that, if I copy over the newer rtfs, that still means they won't be accessible through scrivener, since my page structure changed since the last backup?

2. What can be done to prevent this from happening again? I'm looking into the Linux side idenpendently, but I'm fairly sure there's a Scrivener side to this as well. That's because only the file I was working on got corrupted, which probably means that Scrivener was doing *something* with the file when the power went off.

Thanks in advance!

garpu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 am Post

Check your backups. I forgot what it defaults to, but if you're using 1.0, it'll automatically back itself up, so your project might be there. You can find out what the directory is by pressing F12 in Scrivener, then looking in the backup tab. It's defined there.

Three Blind Lice

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:38 pm Post

garpu wrote:Check your backups. I forgot what it defaults to, but if you're using 1.0, it'll automatically back itself up, so your project might be there. You can find out what the directory is by pressing F12 in Scrivener, then looking in the backup tab. It's defined there.

Thanks garpu, you absolutely rock!!!

Unfortunately, the entire final day is missing, but the automatic backups are definitely a better starting point to piece things back together again (compared to what I had before). Any idea why the final day might be missing? I did several sessions during that day, and I'm especially surprised that NONE of them survived. :(

garpu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:01 pm Post

Geez, not sure. Another thing to check: you're running 1.0, right?

You might also want to check in Tech Support up above...someone might have an idea for project reconstruction.