WINE 5.0 and Scrivener 2.9.0.x

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 pm Post

FYI, if you're using WINE 5.0, Scrivener 2.9.0.x will crash, unless you've got speechsdk installed via winetricks. It's likely this bug, and will need to be addressed with the WINE devs. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43841 It worked with WINE 4.19-staging, but I'm not sure about anything later than that. (That is, I'm not really set up to do regression testing, which is what they'll ask for.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

sh
sharpevo
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:32 am
Platform: Linux

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 am Post

It works!
Scrivener crashed when loading spell check engine, under Wine 5.0, and I never recognized the speechsdk problem.
Thanks for the tip!

as
asabatelli
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:43 pm
Platform: Linux

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm Post

I have tried the above using wine tricks, and I still can't get scrivener to install on my system, Manjaro 18. I get the attached error. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks,
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-02-17 11-46-07.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-17 11-46-07.png (8.42 KiB) Viewed 4407 times

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:59 am Post

What version of WINE? What's the console output?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ef
efi0ng
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:41 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 pm Post

garpu wrote:FYI, if you're using WINE 5.0, Scrivener 2.9.0.x will crash, unless you've got speechsdk installed via winetricks. It's likely this bug, and will need to be addressed with the WINE devs. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43841 It worked with WINE 4.19-staging, but I'm not sure about anything later than that. (That is, I'm not really set up to do regression testing, which is what they'll ask for.)


I experienced this crash with Wine 5.0 but (eventually) got Scrivener 2.9 working with Wine 5.4 (using Winehq.org's own repo) on Ubuntu 20.04 without knowingly installing speechsdk. However I tried lots of things including disabling audio support inside the Wine config and Wine windows registry.

I've now done a fresh install in Kubuntu 20.04 (VM) with Wine 5.5. Garpu's fix (i.e. running "winetricks speechsdk") worked first time with no additional fiddling.

Ti
Timecrash
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:49 pm
Platform: Windows

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm Post

OP, THANK YOU

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why Scrivener 3 didn't work on my Linux laptop. Had no idea this existed. It now works perfectly.

sh
shaviro
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 am
Platform: Linux

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:16 pm Post

I just updated my Ubuntu to the latest version, 20.04, and Scrivener 2.9.0.x via Wine no longer works. This could be because the new Ubuntu version now has Wine 5.0. But I installed speechsdk and it makes no difference. (I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Scrivener 2.9.0.4 beta, both directly in Wine and with PlayOnLinux). When I try to run Scrivener, Wine still crashes. I got the message:

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

I do not know how to correct this. Any help will be most welcome.
Thanks.

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:02 am Post

shaviro wrote:I just updated my Ubuntu to the latest version, 20.04, and Scrivener 2.9.0.x via Wine no longer works. This could be because the new Ubuntu version now has Wine 5.0. But I installed speechsdk and it makes no difference. (I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Scrivener 2.9.0.4 beta, both directly in Wine and with PlayOnLinux). When I try to run Scrivener, Wine still crashes. I got the message:

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

I do not know how to correct this. Any help will be most welcome.
Thanks.


https://askubuntu.com/questions/1090094 ... uth-3-0-25 Are you missing the 32-bit windbind?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

sh
shaviro
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 am
Platform: Linux

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:50 am Post

garpu wrote:https://askubuntu.com/questions/1090094 ... uth-3-0-25 Are you missing the 32-bit windbind?


I have installed windbind, but maybe just the 64-bit version. How do I install the 32-bit windbind?

sh
shaviro
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 am
Platform: Linux

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:11 pm Post

I found 32-bit winbind in the debian repositories, but when I try to install it, I get the message "unmet dependencies", without any indication of what those dependencies are.

An
AnnaRos
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:42 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux
Location: Middelburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:46 pm Post

You have just saved me! Thanks a zillion! It works and Scrivener is now alive again on Ubuntu 20.04.
I am so happy with this!

garpu wrote:FYI, if you're using WINE 5.0, Scrivener 2.9.0.x will crash, unless you've got speechsdk installed via winetricks. It's likely this bug, and will need to be addressed with the WINE devs. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43841 It worked with WINE 4.19-staging, but I'm not sure about anything later than that. (That is, I'm not really set up to do regression testing, which is what they'll ask for.)
Novelist, poet, stage writer / director, creative writing trainer
Dam 63D
4331GH Middelburg
The Netherlands
anna@woordenstorm.nl
http://www.woordenstorm.nl
http://www.annaros.nl

cp
cperfumo
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 am
Platform: Linux

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:38 pm Post

Just confirming that I could install and run the Beta Release Candidate 6 (2.9.9.6) on Xubuntu 20.04. I used out of the box wine and the winetricks speechsdk trick. Thanks!

cl
clombard
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:03 pm Post

cperfumo wrote:Just confirming that I could install and run the Beta Release Candidate 6 (2.9.9.6) on Xubuntu 20.04. I used out of the box wine and the winetricks speechsdk trick. Thanks!

Which version of wine are you running? I tried installing Beta ReleaseCandidate 7 (2.9.9.7) on ArchLinux with wine 5.10 and speechsdk installed, but get the "called Tcl_Close on channel with refCound > 0" error.

Oddly enough, my Scrivener 1.9.16 install still runs fine, but I tried running its uninstaller as a test and got the same error as above!

Edit: I got Beta Release Candidate 7 to install by using winetricks to start Explorer and running the installer from there

Ad
Adam Israel
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:02 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:07 pm Post

I ran into the issue with the missing speechsdk as well. What helped, before I found this thread, is starting Scrivener with the --log flag, which enables verbose output. That might be useful in tracking down other issues.

Code: Select all

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Scrivener $ wine Scrivener.exe --log