best option for running Scrivener on Mint 19?

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am Post

devinganger wrote:There are plenty of free libre software packages that have disappeared as well, and there are many paid software packages that I *wish* would disappear.

My point is, non free libre means they WILL disappear (as in become unsupported by newer OS'es and platforms). No exceptions. It will always happen.

Free libre is no guarantee that will not happen, but if it's software I want to keep using it gives me a choice to pick up the source and do something with it. Work on it myself, pay someone to adapt it, or ship bottles of wine to my favorite OSS developer begging them to fix it for me. I have choices. And I have those choices up front. As long as I have the source, the software will not disappear.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

devinganger

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 am Post

theswede wrote:
devinganger wrote:There are plenty of free libre software packages that have disappeared as well, and there are many paid software packages that I *wish* would disappear.

My point is, non free libre means they WILL disappear (as in become unsupported by newer OS'es and platforms). No exceptions. It will always happen.

Spare me the free software indoctrination speech, I was around for the debut and I didn't find it any more convincing of a piece of dogma then as I do now. The incongruity of yelling about a non-free software emulator pulling the plug when you're on a forum that is trying to find ways to run non-free software (and no longer developed for that platform) on your blessed OS is decidedly non-zero. If you really stuck to your principles, you wouldn't be using Scrivener because you don't get the source code for it. Since you can make that leap of logic and accept Scrivener...what is the difference in accepting another piece of non-free dependency code?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

theswede

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:52 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Spare me the free software indoctrination speech,

I have provided nothing of the kind. I'm making an observation, that is all.

If you really stuck to your principles

You know nothing about my principles.

Now stop assuming, and let's talk about Scrivener like civilized people.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO

oj
ojancano13
Platform: Linux

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 am Post

There is a problem: if you want to activate the last version of scrivener on linux, this is not possible because a new version of .net that is not supported by Wine libraries.
I wrote Literature and latte asking for some technical help; but I wasn't a lucky one! The only answers they could give to me was what that I should install an older version of Scrivener and work with it (in addition, they gave to me the URL of this blog). The problem is that I have a handful of Scrivener projects created with a newer version that can't be opened with the older software.
Otherwise, the beta release of the software for linux neither is a good choice, because work with obsolete libraries, not available on newer distros.
THE SOLUTION
I did it in these way: first, I've installed the 1.8 windows version, via wine; then I activated the copy. After activation, all you must do is update the software to the latest version.
After all thes steps, you will have the latest version of scrivener running on your linux mint (or another distro else)
I hope you find this useful.

garpu

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:47 pm Post

You can also install dotnet45 with winetricks, and it'll activate the new version.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

theswede

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:42 pm Post

ojancano13 wrote:Otherwise, the beta release of the software for linux neither is a good choice, because work with obsolete libraries, not available on newer distros.

That problem is solved with the AppImage.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=57941
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO

Le
Lee.Hauser
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 am Post

Just to add a datapoint to this discussion, I just installed Scrivener 3 beta 23 on Mint 19 using Crossover, into a 64-bit Windows 10 bottle. It installed as easily as it does under straight Windows, and works just fine.

Be
Benjamin Rittgers

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am Post

Maghdalena wrote:I tried installing the Scrivener beta for Linux under Linux Mint XFCE 19.1, and it installed OK as far as I know, but it never started up. No error message. It just never started. I'm running it in a virtual machine (VirtualBox). I have XFCE 19.1 AMD 64 Bit, running it with 4GB memory with no other programs or browsers open.
So if I run it in Wine it's OK. There are several Wine versions in the repository. Wine 1.6, 1.6 64 bit, Wine Stable (3.0). Which one do I install? And do I run Play on Linux or what before installing Scrivener 1.9.9 which I'm using in Windows 7?

I want to know because next year we're moving to Linux as soon as I get another drive and have someone install it and Linux for us(I guess an OEM install is what they call it, so I'm using VirtualBox to see what issues with alternative software.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time. I'm a total newbie with Linux, which is why I'm choosing Mint ;)
Maghdalena Logan

I am running XFCE 19.2 Linux Mint, so I am in the same boat as you. I am not runnning Play on Linux. I am running Wine Stable 4.02 from wine's repository, not Mint's. I couldn't get Mint's version to run scrivener. But everything runs nice with Wine in my setup now.

Just follow this post. https://itsfoss.com/install-latest-wine/

Then type "sudo apt-get install winetricks"

Then type "winetricks dotnet462" which should get you the .Net stuff needed to run Paddle

If the winetricks thing doesn't work, download the latest .Net from Microsoft and install it
"wine <.net-executable>" I recommend trying to install 4.7.1 in that case because it is the newest.

Then download Scrivener for Windows and type wine Scrivener-installer.exe

It should work okay. I have no problem with this and it seems to work okay with my setup.

I even installed it in a bar while flirting and following a conversation with a strange woman I met there. However, you might want to give this your undivided attention.

Maghdalena
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:05 am Post

I just found your reply. I'm running Linux Mint Mate, in a VM, now, not XFCE, but I'll try it the Wine Tricks thing. One thing I found about the AppImage, I can run Scrivener just fine, and the launcher is working OK, but I can't download one of my backups from Dropbox and have the AppImage find it, and if I double-click on the file, it's read as an HTML file. Is there a way it can find the file(I extracted it--no wait, I forgot to extract it. Now it can find it and it opens it OK. I'll still try to do what you suggested too. Thanks a million for your suggestion and help. That's Awesome! Is there a way you can back it up to Dropbox. I can't seem to get the Dropbox to link up with the Scrivener AppImage. Is there a way to do that or does anyone know?

Katherine "Maghdalena" Logan

Maghdalena
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:15 am Post

Hey, Lee,

I'm thinking about Crossover, and I tried it in VirtualBox, but none of the programs would install. I'm thinking either it doesn't work in VMs, or there wasn't enough memory to install it. It just stalled and didn't move. Can it install in VirtualBox and Mint 19.2 Mate or do I need more memory and/or "bare metal"?

Thanks. I do like that program.
Katherine "Maghdalena" Logan

an
andrewbond

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am Post

Maghdalena wrote:I tried installing the Scrivener beta for Linux under Linux Mint XFCE 19.1, and it installed OK as far as I know, but it never started up. No error message. It just never started. I'm running it in a virtual machine (VirtualBox). I have XFCE 19.1 AMD 64 Bit, running it with 4GB memory with no other programs or browsers open.
So if I run it in Wine it's OK. There are several Wine versions in the repository. Wine 1.6, 1.6 64 bit, Wine Stable (3.0). Which one do I install? And do I run Play on Linux or what before installing Scrivener 1.9.9 which I'm using in Windows 7?

I want to know because next year we're moving to Linux as soon as I get another drive and have someone install it and Linux for us(I guess an OEM install is what they call it, so I'm using VirtualBox to see what issues with alternative software.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time. I'm a total newbie with Linux, which is why I'm choosing Mint ;)
Maghdalena Logan

Maghdalena:
I run Scrivener, both the current Windows version 1.9.1.14 and the Betas for Version 3. I have successfully run 1.9 under Play on LInux. Currently, however, I use CodeWeaver's Crossover for Linux, which has always worked more reliably for me. Scrivener should work with no issues using either Play On Linux or Crossover.

Andrew