Which Linux

Pa
Pavel
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 am Post

I've been using Linux, one distro or another, since fall 96 but have taken some time off. My favorite distro is Slackware, with Debian a close second and I also used to use FreeBsd a bit. I now have a new machine and I would like to select a distro based on what runs Scrivener well (since I can't live without it) and so the question I have for those more experienced than I, Is-- which distribution of Linux is the best bet for running Scrivener?
To find the answers ... question them!

ph
philjaq
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:56 am Post

My first linux installation around 1991 was slackware. And I well remember the agonies of getting a cd reader to work with it. Fortunately things have improved over the years.

I am using scrivener 1.9.0.1beta 64 bits satisfactorily on UbuntuStudio 1404, my 64 bit desktop machine. Also on an old laptop with Debian 8 but there I have the 1.9.0.1 32 bit version running.

Ubuntu and its various flavours are, of course, based on Debian.

hth

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:59 pm Post

Slackware user since 2006, here. I think it's a distro you either instinctively "get" or you don't. I've had no problems using Scrivener under Slackware. (basically untar the file into /opt and make a link or shell alias to Scrivener/bin/scrinvener.sh.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ma
matty7
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm Post

I'm using Mint Xfce.
Just run.
So I can write,without problem.

me
mehor

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:37 pm Post

Debian Testing here, with Gnome 3. I won’t even try to answer which distro is the best for running Scrivener, but I can say that both Linux version of Scrivener and Windows version via wine work beautifully.

Mi
Michael_Wienold

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:17 pm Post

I am using mint 17.2 on my Desktop, and My daughter has Ubuntu 14.02 running chrooted on her Chromebook. Both running scrivener 1.9 without any serious issues. Only bugs seem to be common for all Linux users. That is the drop down color pickers from the toolbar do not work. I also have some issues with the compiling menu not letting me change colors, fonts and sizes. which is fine, I can easily work around that during the editing phase.

Da
DaveAlbaugh

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:06 pm Post

Debian 7.2 with Scrivener 1.9.0.1 64 bit BETA.

Once again, asking which distro is best for something is entirely based on perception and individual preferences. Similar to some other comments here, my first introduction to Linux was with Red Hat 3.5 sans GUI. Manually installing and configuring a network card took quite a bit of learning on that system.

Now, Debian serves my tastes and uses great. I will one day look into Slackware, Fedora, Mint and a few others, but for right now, I'm content with Debian. So that's the best distro for me.

To answer your main question: the best distro for you is the one you will be comfortable setting up and using on a regular basis.

garpu

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:35 pm Post

DaveAlbaugh wrote:Debian 7.2 with Scrivener 1.9.0.1 64 bit BETA.

Once again, asking which distro is best for something is entirely based on perception and individual preferences. Similar to some other comments here, my first introduction to Linux was with Red Hat 3.5 sans GUI. Manually installing and configuring a network card took quite a bit of learning on that system.

Now, Debian serves my tastes and uses great. I will one day look into Slackware, Fedora, Mint and a few others, but for right now, I'm content with Debian. So that's the best distro for me.

To answer your main question: the best distro for you is the one you will be comfortable setting up and using on a regular basis.

My SO often says that one's choice of distro is really a religious preference, not an engineering one. When I think about the reasons I use Slackware and the reasons why I identify as the religion I am, it makes sense. (Both serve my needs, fit my worldview, but I don't think they work for everyone.) That having been said, he likes Ubuntu and also uses Windows 10. Mixed marriages can work. ;)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE