Scrivener for AVLinux?

dt
dtw
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:24 pm Post

Hi,
Thanks for helping out a new Linux user... I've been enjoying Scrivener on Linux Mint on an Asus netbook for a couple months. Now I'm trying to run it on my desktop, on which I've just installed AVLinux (which doesn't package the installation). I can get the downloaded 32bit .deb file to indicate installed in the package manager, with apparent success. But when I try to open the software from the menu, nothing happens. Running it from the terminal gives me:
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/share/scrivener/bin/../lib/libQtNetwork.so.4)

Any thoughts?

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:22 am Post

It appears your AVLinux distro doesn't have the glibc 2.15 installed. I've seen this problem before with other distros, other issues. The reports were that it is a NON-trivial issue to install glibc, so it wasn't recommended to go there (due to a raft of other dependency issues.) Welcome to the dark side of Linux life.

If Scriv ran well under Linux Mint, it might be good to consider installing Linux Mint on your desktop. As a side note, Mint seems to be the flavor of choice whenever anyone recommends a Linux version to a disgusted/fleeing Windows user.
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:48 am Post

It isn't about "mint" as much as about "easily managed".

on a package managed dist, installing glibc is trivial
apt-get install glibc-2.15
yum install glibc-2.15
Done. Run scriv. resolve other dependencies.

But on a non-managed platform YOU have to understand and resolve the links. There are folks that spend a life time running Linux OS (I started in 1996) and you'd be surprised at the number that are unwilling to use distributions that don't use a management system (ports is a management system so don't start with slackware...).

Anyway...

Unless you have a really good reason to NOT use a debian or redhat based platform, use one. Just makes life simpler.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

dt
dtw

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:01 pm Post

Hmm... Maybe I'll end up using Scrivener/Mint on the netbook for writing, and keeping AVLnx. on the desktop for music production. However, I do understand enough to know I'm not getting into the true spirit of Linux unless I spend a couple days, if not weeks, trying to at least fathom what glibc even is, and just how many worms might be in that can. Just so long as I don't find myself trying to write more code than fiction.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:52 pm Post

Hey, now, aside from a year with Debian, I basically started with Slackware. :) Don't be dissin' the "Bob."

Glibc isn't hard. You just need to make sure you've got the right version for whatever version of gcc and the c++ libraries. If you've never installed anything from source before, I'd recommend using something like Gentoo first. Or go compile something that won't result in needing to reinstall the root partition, if you screw up.

If you really, really want to build glibc for yourself, here's the relevant stuff: http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual ... stallation (Note, you should know how to bootstrap gcc, since that will likely need to be installed, as well.)

When building things like this, you need to follow the instructions, chapter and verse. Normally compiling software, it'll go into /usr/local, so it won't accidentally hose your system. Glibc can ruin your day, if you don't follow their instructions.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:26 pm Post

Jeezzzzz … what the hell are they all talking about?Image sounds as if they're from another planet!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

garpu

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:22 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Jeezzzzz … what the hell are they all talking about?Image sounds as if they're from another planet!!

It's kind of like Russian grammar. The more you drink, the more it makes sense. :) (Or so I'm told. I don't actually speak Russian, although it's on the bucket list.)

dt
dtw

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 am Post

Ironically, I studied Russian grammar in college, and the less I drank, the MORE it made sense! :wink:
Thanks for your suggestions, garpu included... Upon some study I've realized what I really need is probably just to get a different distro (other than AVLinux) made with audio in mind (i.e., a low latency kernel) that'll also let me run Scrivener; e.g., hopefully Ubuntu Studio or Kxstudio (if those use glibc 2.15) or something else with more rolling updates...?
Спасибо!

garpu

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 am Post

dtw wrote:Ironically, I studied Russian grammar in college, and the less I drank, the MORE it made sense! :wink:
Thanks for your suggestions, garpu included... Upon some study I've realized what I really need is probably just to get a different distro (other than AVLinux) made with audio in mind (i.e., a low latency kernel) that'll also let me run Scrivener; e.g., hopefully Ubuntu Studio or Kxstudio (if those use glibc 2.15) or something else with more rolling updates...?
Спасибо!

Hrm, not sure what you're using Linux for, but you know about Planet CCRMA, right? http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ They maintain their own repository and mini-distro (runs on top of an existing one, last I looked) The guy who runs it is way cool. (Met him a couple of times...he's good friends with a former prof of mine.)

Low latency kernel: You can roll your own, if you need to. It's not hard, so long as you don't forget ext4 support or something. (make oldconfig is your friend, then you can customize.)

I use Csound and LISP. Little puredata, but I need to make ass meet chair and really learn it. I hate working through tutorials. Been dorking with supercollider off and on, but haven't had a reason for actually using it, since csound and puredata do what I need. I also dabbled in CLM and CM, but I got tired of it being tied to the full version of ACL, which is out of my budget. The current LISP stuff I do is designed to run on top of the trial version of ACL or CLISP, which isn't always a given. *cough*CLM*cough* I'm not hugely into sequencing or synths, although I've dorked with the Korg DS-10, and I got to goof around with a Moog once. ;)

Dave Phillips is kind of the dude, when it comes to linux and audio: http://linux-sound.org/

Do any acoustic writing? Lilypond is nifty because it's very similar to LaTeX, so can be integrated with MultiMarkdown and Scrivener. (See? TOPIC!) It's also based on engraved music, so not icky like Finale and Sibelius. (Two of my teachers at CalArts were freaking amazing music copyists, so I got those standards drummed into me.)

But way, way back on topic, if the package repository at Planet CCRMA is of use, I think people have had success with Scrivener and Fedora.

dt
dtw

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:52 am Post

thnkx for the suggestions... really all I'm trying to do is some basic ardour multitrack recording and wav editing, hydrogen drumbeats, and midi arranging (ala muse-score + VST's or equiv) & other basic sound stuff (eg, mp3 conversions) on a dedicated audio Linux platform that also happens to be capable of book-length word-processing... nothing fancy. just need the right distro, it seems. will check out CCRMA...

garpu

Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 am Post

Yah. Fedora's not bad, and not so narrowly focused like AVLinux. :)

Gr
Graybyrd

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:52 am Post

vic-k wrote:Jeezzzzz … what the hell are they all talking about?Image sounds as if they're from another planet!!

Not really. It's just that a significant portion of Linux "aficionados" remind me a bit of a great-uncle of mine who was remembered in family history as "Hard-Way Jones." One of his more legendary accomplishments was consummating his marriage in a hammock.

'Tis a peculiar mindset. An equivalent to Linux software assembly is akin to a mechanic needing to replace a fractured crankshaft. The Linux mechanic will first acquire a shovel and an axe: the axe to cut firewood, and the shovel to dig clay. This leads to construction of a kiln, and digging of iron ore, and great heaps of charcoal for smelting. Eventually, our Linux engineer will devise to make a file. And a great slab of steel. Then let the endless hours of filing begin, to produce a crankshaft.

A Windows user, on the other hand, treks to the auto parts store and orders one in.
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

vic-k

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:05 am Post

Graybyrd wrote:'Tis a peculiar mindset. An equivalent to Linux software assembly is akin to a mechanic needing to replace a fractured crankshaft. The Linux mechanic will first acquire a shovel and an axe: the axe to cut firewood, and the shovel to dig clay. This leads to construction of a kiln, and digging of iron ore, and great heaps of charcoal for smelting. Eventually, our Linux engineer will devise to make a file. And a great slab of steel. Then let the endless hours of filing begin, to produce a crankshaft.

That, Sir, is the most appropriate description of Imagespeak, that I have so far encountered. Thank you!

Allow me to show my appreciation, Image Your health, Sir.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Gr
Graybyrd

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:07 pm Post

I am honored, Sir ... clink ... truly and humbly ... hic ... :oops: ... honored!

vic-k

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:30 pm Post

No more than you deserve, my good Sir.
A word of advice: avoid sartorially challenged penguins, gnomes and ubuntus, wearing Red Hats and fedoras.
Take care, Sir.