Who want a Linux release version?

ar
armatute
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:06 pm Post

Me too. I have an active Windows license, but I changed to Linux both the desktop and laptop machines, and I'm no longer using them. Scrivener is an important tool for me, and I'd pay for it.

an
anko roze
Platform: Linux

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:17 am Post

well i've added to these kind of threads before and since this one has gained a little steam i'll do so again.

even though i already paid for a scriv for windows licence to support the scriv for linux devs, i'd gladly and eagerly pay again for a scriv for linux licence as soon as it was available.

al
alec

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 am Post

Yes agree completely with the last post.

Would happily pay for a Linux release version. Scrivener on Linux is my most important piece of computer software next to the browser.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am Post

"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

mi
mimotomo
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:16 pm Post

o.k. Maybe the decision is not fix until the vogon will destroy the world at all... ;-)

Yes, I would like to have a supported version for Linux and I would pay for it as I bought the windows version. (or short: Me, too).

As I used wine (or codeweaver) for several software (e.g. financial and kids learning software) I don't think that this would be a practical solution. I'm very well with administration of computer. To run a something with wine is not fun (for me).

Keep on your good work!

tr
triarius
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm Post

Yes, even though I have a current Mac license. I am increasingly disgusted with the garbage Apple is putting out and calling an operating system, and will probably switch to Linux before I upchuck, err, upgrade … no I was right the first time … another CrApple OS. If there was a release version of Scrivener for Linux, I'd be working on the conversion now. And yes, I'd be more than happy to pay for the privilege.

zo
zorcatra

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 pm Post

just made an account to say that I would love a full linux version and would pay (again) for it :-)
two more questions: are there any plans for a full linux version? and scrivener says, the beta version will end with january 1st 2016, what exactly does that mean? will I still be able to use the program then?
anyway, keep up the good work!

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:27 am Post

I notice the later commenters seem to have missed pigfender's polite attempt to lead them to this:

Note that we currently have no capacity or plans to release another Linux version. As a gesture of good-will, we decided to make a concerted effort to provision 1.9.0.1 to the Linux community instead of just removing the trial expiry date on the current version and re-releasing. We will be resuming focus on the next major releases of Windows & Mac. The Windows version will always be an option to Linux users - either via WINE or VM in the future for those that wish to take advantage of future functionality.

We hope you appreciate our efforts to provide versions of Scrivener for Linux 1.9.0.1 in both 32 & 64 bit, Debian and tar.gz builds, as well as versions for 1.7.2.4.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

tr
triarius

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:58 am Post

L & L is small, and the Gorillas are large … sigh.

pr
prisma

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:27 am Post

Oh no, looks like we are left in the dust once again. I wish I could have the same options of proprietary software on Linux. I would happily pay for all the licences. I like Linux as an operating system, but a lot of the free software offered is not that good in my opinion.

zo
zorcatra

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 pm Post

i'm sorry, i really didn't see that. sad to hear anyway.

tj
tjward

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:38 pm Post

I would like an official Scrivener for Linux.. and an Android version as well..
I understand it isn't likely to happen any time soon.

I have the Linux version installed as well as the Windows version under Wine.

I go back and forth between the two and I have not found how they differ. I copied my Windows 7 fonts directory over to my Linux desktop then installed the fonts I'm used to, and Scrivener looks and feels the same as it did on Windows.

I keep my project files on a second drive and once I saved into that folder the first time, the wonky directory structure Wine gives you is not there anymore. Either version opens in the same folders now.

I find that I use the Windows / Wine version more.. basically because I have spent more time customizing the the interface on that one.

My machine is an AMD quad core, 32mb ram, Nvidia Graphics, 2x 24in monitors, and 2x 1tb drives.
Running Linux Mint with Cinnamon.

I do not see a difference between the two versions and both work as fast and as well as the other.
I have not had any trouble with anything running under wine.. except for Scapple but Garpu solved that… /wave Garpu

So.. what's the difference?
Am I just lucky that my stuff is working well?

re
retrocar66

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:00 pm Post

I'm a long-time Mac user but Apple has pissed me off so much in the last 3 years with their broken AppStore, fascist approach to DRM, and now the absolutely AWFUL Yosemite and El Capitan releases, that if I can figure out how to move all my important apps to Linux, I'm going to run that instead.

Scrivener is one such app. So yeah, I'd pay to see it get stable. Crowdfund it or else charge a lower fee or something, esp for those of us that are migrating from other versions of Scriv (I have a Mac license now.)

Aa
AaronMFeld

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:40 pm Post

I bought the Window version, and run it via wine, using Ubuntu 14.04.

It runs perfectly fine that way. Some companies would package it up and sell it as a Linux program with a wine dependency. They could have tar balled the wine environment that it works with, and no one would be the wiser. The owners of Scrivener are too honest for that, but I have to point out that it works fine, and I think that wine compatibility was/is planned. If you love Scrivener, and want to run it on Linux, support the developers by buying the Windows version and run it using wine. That is what I did.

That being said, of course, yes I would buy Scrivener for native Linux, if a paid/supported version became available. I would have been happy buying it "with wine dependency" if it was a paid/supported option.

garpu

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:35 pm Post

Scapple is also a very useful little thing, too, and a bargain at $15. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE