Scrivener 1.7.2.3 Linux beta released 22nd July 2014

ov
ovation1357
Platform: Linux

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:34 pm Post

cellfourteen - I'm nothing to do with the scriviner team and am in fact very new to scrivener but I've tried looking at your problem and unfortunately not found any solution :-(

I can agree that if I apply a Bulgarian keymap to my UK keyboard (in my case it's MATE desktop) then keystrokes such as CTRL+I and CTRL+S stop working in Scriviner.

What is particularly weird is that if I go into Tools->Options->Keyboard and try to reconfigure the keystroke for something like Italic formatting then when I press CTRL+I wich the bulgarian layout enabled it still recognises it as a CTRL+I sequence, but then in the general editor CTRL+I appears to insert a TAB character rather than set Italic.

ji
jim.hitch

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 am Post

sunew wrote:Have been running through the tutorial. Looks good! I really like the approach.

1) permissions problem when saving the downloaded stuff in the default installation location which is /usr/share/scrivener (owned by root)
2) installing libaspell-dev
or both perhaps....

I haven't used Scrivener for a year, and at first sight this is a massive improvement, tons of work must have gone into this, so thanks so much all involved.

And thanks sunew for the above tip, dictionaries had always driven me crazy in Scrivener and the above appears to have fixed it.

Jim

ce
cellfourteen
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 am Post

ovation1357 wrote:cellfourteen - I'm nothing to do with the scriviner team and am in fact very new to scrivener but I've tried looking at your problem and unfortunately not found any solution :-(

I can agree that if I apply a Bulgarian keymap to my UK keyboard (in my case it's MATE desktop) then keystrokes such as CTRL+I and CTRL+S stop working in Scriviner.

What is particularly weird is that if I go into Tools->Options->Keyboard and try to reconfigure the keystroke for something like Italic formatting then when I press CTRL+I wich the bulgarian layout enabled it still recognises it as a CTRL+I sequence, but then in the general editor CTRL+I appears to insert a TAB character rather than set Italic.

ovation1357, thanks for confirming that. I tried ver. 1.7.2.2 (the 1.7.2.1 download link appears to be dead) and changing the application language to "Bulgarian", but I still encounter the same problem. By the way, I am using the 32-bit download.

Ver. 1.6.1.1 works great for me and I am tempted to use it until it expires on December 1 this year. But I'll do my best to use 1.7.2.3 because Ctrl+S isn't such a big deal as it's more of a compulsory thing while there's the auto save functionality which I really like. I've changed it to F2 just to be on the *save* side :) And there's the Italic problem. It's just a silly inconvenience. I shouldn't be overemphasizing every third word I write anyways. Changed to another function key until (hopefully) the developers release a fixed version.

fl
flaxton
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:53 pm Post

I just wanted to say "thank you" for the Linux port of Scrivener. This is my first chance to try the beta since I heard of it. I use Scrivener on my Mac at my home office, but wanted to use it on my Linux laptop (Chromebook with Ubuntu) when I'm at coffee shops.

For some reason I thought the Linux version was an outdated version of Scrivener, since the Mac version is 2.5. But apparently 1.7.x is also the Windows version.

So I'm going to give it a try, switching back and forth between the Linux and Mac versions on the same data files.

Thanks!

Fred :D

ka
kataja

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:45 pm Post

Just installed the 1.7.2.3. (actually after I had got the 1.6.something crashing when I tried to import an .rtf file).

New test with importing. This time .odt (and a lot of other formats, at least Word's ones, just glanced) appeared on a list, and hopeful I clicked my file as .odt (I've seen enough broken .rtf to wiev that format with suspicion and disgust...)

Result: "converter not found". But the .rtf opened neatly (a clear improvement to my former copypaste workaround for text I've stared with a word processor).

ka
kataja

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:52 pm Post

...and of course I clicked submit before filling in all the relevant technical information...

I installed the 32bit deb package on my my netbook running Ubuntu 12.04.

Installation went smoothly after I got the Ubuntu software center out of messing with it... (debian package installer did not try to be more clever than the lo/user sitting before the screen and did what was asked).

st
stoffe

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 pm Post

Fixed the dictionary downloads by enabling write permissions on /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Aspell/dict/

For example:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod a+w /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Aspell/dict/

This is on the Ubuntu package. Depending on how the package is built, this (and similar post-fixes) should be possible to add to scrivener.postinst in the deb package. :)

be
beedaddy

Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:11 am Post

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before (didn't find something) or if it is just me, but:

My system language is German. And I set the Scrivener language (Options->Language) to German as well. But when I compile lets say a novel (pdf) I always get the English chapter names (e.g. "CHAPTER ONE"). Shouldn't they be in German? Or is there a setting I've missed? I also tried to create an epub ebook (and set the language to German in the metadata), but still it is CHAPTER ONE. :?

Any ideas?

ch
christian.britto

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:47 pm Post

Thank you so much for supporting Linux! I'm running Scrivener without any problem until now. Can't wait for the retail version.

Ka
KateeJHarrison

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:20 pm Post

I've had issues on Fedora 20 where the QT4 version on Fedora was higher than required by Scrivener and thus refused to start. Can you do something on your end there? Because downgrading the library bricked half my system.

Now running on a Kubuntu 14.04 machine and all is swell.

Unrelated question: how does the Linux workflow work? Is it an adaptation of the Windows version? Is it written as it's own application? With QT I assume both Windows and Linux can be targeted, right? Just curious (as a developer).

Wh
WhiteMonkey

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 pm Post

I too was getting the problem with the Qt library being different (a newer version of Qt has been released since the Scrivener packages were built):

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40806) with this library (version 0x40805)

The work-around for this is to unset the plugins folder variable on your machine before running Scrivener:

unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener

This works, and I made it into a little shell script to run Scrivener.

As I understand it, this problem is caused by shipping the package with its own Qt library built-in; letting the system run its own version but making a specific minimum a dependency should stop this from happening.

Na
Nauta
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:34 pm Post

I thank you very much for your great program. I have installed it almost without problems in Ubuntu 14. I say "Almost" for I have two problems:

a) The scrivener files I have are seen by your program as they were folders, not files. So, I can't open them normally. I also can't associate them with scrivener, for, theoretically, they're folders, not files... So, how could I resolve this issue?

b) When Scrivener opens, if I select to open the Scrivener Manual, the app crashes.

Thanks a lot for your attention and great job -and excuse my english...

ma
manuelantgonzc

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:31 pm Post

¿not exist a licence of a complete version for Linux what can i buy yet?

ds
dscapuano

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 am Post

Very nice indeed. 8)
Since this is a Beta version for Linux, do you have a way to post any bugs I may find?

Just for your information, I am using Linux Mint 17, Ubuntu version with Cinnamon desktop. So far, works great
Thanks again
Dave Capuano, Brunswick, Maine, USA

DorthyBluBird

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:07 am Post

:D I have native linux scrivener installed on my machine! Hooray! (For whatever reason, the Windows version no longer works in wine after a major update, and I don't feel like having an actual Windows box. )

At any rate, I have Fedora 20, running on an AMD64 box. I run openbox and KDE.
Part of the problem is I did not install the program in somewhere like /usr/bin or /usr/share but right off home directory. It will probably make life easier to change that. But beyond that I was able to create new blank documents, type some text, and save. Hooray! I even got a PNG to drag and drop into the Research folder. Frankly, that worked more smoothly than it did in Windows under WINE.
Now for the not so happy part. :o I dragged and dropped a PDF into the Research folder, and the whole thing hung. The only thing that worked was the "close window/quit" button on the window. I clicked that, and eventually the system prompted me to close Scrivener. However, looking back to the term it used, I got some interesting text in stdout that might help with the troubleshooting.
Warning: it's kinda long. :!:

[vll@abby bin]$ ./scrivener.sh
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/gxf' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/mxf' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-3gp' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-annodex' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-ape' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-bzip' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-RoQ' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-avs' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-daud' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-ea' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-ffm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-film_cpk' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-idcin' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-ipmovie' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-mm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-mmf' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-nut' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-nuv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-psxstr' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-smk' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-sol' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-vmd' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-voc' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-wc3movie' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-wsaud' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-gst_ff-wsvqa' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-ogg-avi' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-ogm-audio' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-ogm-video' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-pn-realaudio' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'application/x-yuv4mpeg' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/AMR' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/AMR-WB' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/G722' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/ac3' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/ms-gsm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/ogg' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/qcelp' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/riff-midi' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-ac3' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-alac' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-alaw' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-amr-nb-sh' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-amr-wb-sh' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-celt' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-dpcm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-dts' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-eac3' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-ffmpeg-parsed-ape' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-ffmpeg-parsed-musepack' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-flac' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-gst_ff-mp3adu' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-gst_ff-mp3on4' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-gst_ff-vmdaudio' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-gst_ff-ws_snd1' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-imc' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-it' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-lpcm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-m4a' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-private1-dts' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-private1-lpcm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-qdm2' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-s3m' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-shorten' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-sipro' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-speex' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-stm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-true-hd' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-truespeech' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-tta' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-ttafile' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-twin-vq' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-vnd.sony.atrac1' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-vnd.sony.atrac3' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-vorbis' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-vorbis+ogg' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-wavpack' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-wavpack-correction' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-wma' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-wms' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'audio/x-xm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'image/pbm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'image/ppm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'image/x-pcx' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'image/x-sgi' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'image/x-sun-raster' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'image/x-tga' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'multipart/x-mixed-replace' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'text/x-cmml' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'unknown/unknown' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/mj2' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/mpegts' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/sp5x' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/webm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-3ivx' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-4xm' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-aasc' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-amv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-apple-video' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-asus' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-ati-vcr' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-camstudio' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-camtasia' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-cdxa' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-cinepak' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-cirrus-logic-accupak' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-compressed-yuv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-dirac' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-divx' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-dnxhd' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-dvd-subpicture' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-ffv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-flash-screen' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-flash-video' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-flv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-fraps' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-8bps' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-avs' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-ffvhuff' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-flic' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-idcinvideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-interplayvideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-mdec' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-mmvideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-pgmyuv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-qpeg' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-roqvideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-snow' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-vmdvideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-vqavideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-wnv1' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-gst_ff-xl' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-h261' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-h263' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-h264' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-huffyuv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-indeo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-intel-h263' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-ivf' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-kmvc' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-lagarith' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-loco' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-matroska' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-mimic' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-mjpeg-b' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-msmpeg' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-msvideocodec' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-mszh' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-mve' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-nsv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-nuv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-pn-realvideo' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-qdrw' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-rle' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-smc' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-smoke' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-svq' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-theora' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-truemotion' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-ultimotion' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vcd' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vmnc' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vp3' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vp5' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vp6' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vp6-alpha' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vp6-flash' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-vp8' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-wmv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-xan' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-xvid' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-zlib' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
"Warning: Mimetype 'video/x-zmbv' supported from Phonon but no suffix mapping"
Killed

It's even possible you'd know what the problem is after the first 20 entries or so, but I didn't want to leave anything out on the off chance it was important. My impression is that there is a link or a missing file somewhere. It's even possible that there's a step in the setup that I missed.

Any thoughts?

Okay, one last theory. It is even possible that it can't find something because I didn't install it in the $PATH, and that would just magically fix everything. I can hope, can't I? :)

Despite this, I can already do something interesting and useful. Special thanks to Mr. X for convincing me to do this. Despite the beta weirdness, I like it. I think Linux Scrivener has substantially less overhead than using WINE. And hey, I couldn't use PDFs there, either.