64 bit spellcheck?

ub
ubersoft
Platform: Linux

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:44 am Post

It doesn't appear that the 64 bit version of Scrivener 1.7.2 is recognizing that aspell is installed.

I don't get any red squigglies (autocheck doesn't work) and when I try to run the spellchecker manually all I get is a gray box and an OK button.

Is this known behavior?

Mi
Middling
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 am Post

You need to install libaspell-dev for a working spelling checker (no magic involved here :wink: ).

Note: Scrivener seems to ignore the set variant of the language, so it'll only check the spellings of words in American English, even if the system language is using British English.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 pm Post

You might try installing some dictionaries within: scrivener_installation_folder/bin/Aspell/Dict
I am afraid some Windows specific code for loading the Aspell dictionaries is causing issues loading them under Linux. Hope putting the dictionaries manually(including the *.rws and all dictionary files) in the above location, might help. I will try to fix it for the next updates.

ub
ubersoft

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm Post

Gah, I'm such a dunce. Totally forgot libaspell-dev. libaspell15, yes. libaspell-dev, no.

Installed it, and now I have red squigglies. I'm almost ready to delete that annoying schroot install... except that when I exit scrivener it crashes with a segmentation fault (core dumped) message. Not sure about that part.

garpu

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 pm Post

I can't count the number of times I've tried getting something working, only to realize I forgot something it relies upon. (That is, something it didn't need to compile against but needs to work properly.) It's like whenever I reboot (every 35 days or so), I always forget to unmute things, and think it's a problem with .asoundrc. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE