1.7.x for linux?

an
anko roze
Platform: Linux

Wed May 07, 2014 1:41 am Post

hi there, i realise (and fully expect) you are very busy at the moment with 1.7.x for windows, but i just wanted to ask will there be a 1.7.x made available for linux?

thanks,
a.

LAP
Platform: Windows

Tue May 20, 2014 6:21 am Post

Absolutely!

I hope the Linux community will really appreciate 1.7.0 - especially now that PDF is natively supported in Linux. In the new version, there are ~50 new features, changes and refinements - as well as ~500 fixes and improvements that will be available on the Linux version.

We will release a stand-alone, debian and hopefully an rpm build - no promises on the rpm, but we are aiming for it.

We will continue to release the Linux version as a beta with a long expiry as Linux will remain unsupported, but we will continue to take the platform into account with each line of code we write daily.

With the exception of Windows specific file format conversion utilities, Linux functionality is almost identical to Windows - we have tried very hard to ensure that.

Lee

garpu

Tue May 20, 2014 4:04 pm Post

I hope the Linux community will really appreciate 1.7.0 - especially now that PDF is natively supported in Linux.

My hypothetical bar tab for you and Tiho just got bigger, didn't it? :D
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ts
ts.salvador

Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 pm Post

That's just great Lee. I know it is not a priority but I must say that I am looking forward to a "final" version some day. I would very much like to buy and support what you guys do.

Looking forward to 1.7 ;)

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed May 21, 2014 8:50 am Post

Thanks very much for your gracious gift to the Linux community, Lee ... it is appreciated. I've been following your tenacious and dogged efforts on crafting the Windows version; it seems to have been a long slog. As R. Kipling said, "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din!"

I've searched the Linux repos high and low, repeatedly and with great determination, and can confidently say that there is really no comparable note-taking, outlining, journal enabling, or writer's tool available in any of the distros that can touch Scrivener, even in its beta incarnation for Linux. It is an immensely valuable resource. I use the .deb package, but certainly hope you're also able to provide the .rpm version for those folks as well.

Thanks again,
and yes, I owe you a row of cold, frosty mugs, myself.
GB
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

an
anko roze

Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 am Post

lap, as the o.p. let me add my thanks to those above. ;)

i'm really looking forward to getting 1.7 going on my debian laptop, and along with others here (and in remarks by others in a lot of other messages here in the past) i especially look forward to being able to buy an official linux version one day. :)

all the best,
a.

an
anko roze

Wed May 21, 2014 10:02 am Post

oh and btw, even though i don't even currently have it installed, i chose to indirectly support scriv for linux by buying a scriv for windows licence. ;)

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu May 22, 2014 7:10 pm Post

Has anybody tried to run Scrivener for Windows under Linux using WINE?
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 pm Post

No, never.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

garpu

Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:Has anybody tried to run Scrivener for Windows under Linux using WINE?

Yup. Latest beta version works out of the box without winetricks overrides. (I'm using WINE 1.7.19.)

Jaysen

Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 am Post

pigfender wrote:No, never.

Piggy, are you being a PITA?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

r6d2

Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 am Post

Jaysen wrote:

No, never. :lol: :lol: :lol:
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

r6d2

Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 am Post

garpu wrote:Yup. Latest beta version works out of the box without winetricks overrides. (I'm using WINE 1.7.19.)

Interesting indeed!
r6d2

--Julio Cortázar

garpu

Fri May 23, 2014 1:34 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

No, never. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What, never? :mrgreen:

do
donniezazen

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 pm Post

Glad to see 1.7.x is in pipeline for Linux and RPM builds are icing on the cake. Thanks for your hard work. Any ETAs?