Linux 1.6.1.1 Beta Released (NOT LATEST)

DustyLedge
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:09 pm Post

Easy install on Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), running on a 32-bit Intel Dual Core T2500 CPU laptop.

Downloaded the deb package and ran the standard installer on it. All dependencies were found and it installed without a hitch.

Scrivener runs fine. The only thing I've noticed so far is the font size of my text. Under Windows I have the scaling set to 130 percent. To achieve the same scale on screen in Linux I have to reduce scaling to about 100 percent.

Spell check? I think I saw mention of a solution earlier in this thread.... will give it a try.

I'll report back with an update when I have more to add :wink:
--Thomas (DustyLedge)

DustyLedge

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:07 pm Post

Spell check solved, thanks to a tip from TaftSinjin in this thread, http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17616.

Installed libaspell-dev from the Linux Mint Software Manager.

Closed Scrivener and restarted it.

Bingo! I now have a working spell checker. :D
--Thomas (DustyLedge)

Ni
Nick222
Platform: Linux

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 pm Post

How can I change menu language on Russian under Xubuntu 13.10-64 ?

be
bertrand47

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 am Post

Hello,
Thanks for helping us working on this very good application, but is it possible to have it in french? It seems to have it possible in settings, but it doesn't change anything for me.

In
Incandescent
Platform: Windows

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:41 am Post

It's a day before this version of beta is supposed to expire, but I'm already getting a tiiiiny window that says "Beta Expi" in the title bar every time I try to open Scrivener. The body of the window reads:

"This Sc
Please"

The only option is to press "okay." I'm assuming Expi is "expired" and that the window text is telling me to find the most recent beta edition, which I don't see anywhere. Is it available yet?

Me
Melindrea

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:54 am Post

I've also ran into that problem, starting yesterday.

ts
ts.salvador

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:19 am Post

What would be the proper way to report bugs and whatnot? :)

be
beedaddy

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 am Post

I'd just a look at Scrivener. No problems at all with installation (here: Fedora 20 with KDE 4.12). But it's not possible to change the UI language (here: to German). It sticks to English. :?

be
beedaddy

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm Post

scrandy wrote:I am an Linux-only user and would really like to buy a copy. Even if the Linux version is not supported in the same way as the other versions, it would be a good idea to make the Linux-Version obtainable as well. It would be great to be able to support you guys. As far as I see it, most errors reported here are due to the difficult installation instruction and possible installation errors that can occur with little linux system knowledge. This should be fixable with an updated deb package etc.

Why not make the Windows-Licence usable for Linux as well. As far as I see it, the code is the same anyway. So one can buy a copy for Windows and use the beta for Linux indefinitely as well.

I'm also very interested in Scrivener for Linux. Being able to run the Linux version with the Windows-License is quite a good idea, I think.

Dear Scrivener team, are there any near-future plans for Scrivener becoming "official" on Linux?

sh
shaviro

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 pm Post

I am using the latest version of Ubuntu, 14.04. I have been able to run previous versions of Scrivener. But when I try to run the current beta, I get the following message in the terminal:
============
error while loading shared libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
============
I wasn't able to find this shared library through the Ubuntu Software Center. Any recommendations on what I can do?

Thanks

Steve Shaviro
shaviro@shaviro.com

DustyLedge

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:14 pm Post

shaviro wrote:I am using the latest version of Ubuntu, 14.04. I have been able to run previous versions of Scrivener. But when I try to run the current beta, I get the following message in the terminal:
============
error while loading shared libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
:
:
Steve Shaviro
shaviro@shaviro.com

Steve. I just updated my Linux Mint version from 16 to 17 (Xfce) and had what might be a related problem. Mint is based on Ubuntu, btw, and 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, i.e. the version you're using.

In previous versions of Linux Mint it's never been a problem getting Scrivener installed from the DEB file. However, with Mint 17 the DEB file refuses to install. I resorted to downloading the Scrivener-1.6.1.1-beta.tar.gz file instead, simply extracting it to a folder within my home folder, and running it from a sym-link that I created on my desktop. Works fine, and picked up all my previous settings.

Hope this helps :)

--Thomas.
--Thomas (DustyLedge)

ol
olsen

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:11 am Post

I'm working on an up-to-date debian testing with the beta 1.6.1.1 release installed and unfortunately it takes about 10-15min from starting scrivener on the command line until the gui shows up.
Anyone has an idea?

thanks & greets

Ma
MadScribbler

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:20 pm Post

Running Linux Mint 17, gdebi package installer indicates its loading .deb file but closes without installing. From the terminal window,

$ cd /home/<your user name>/Downloads
$ sudo dpkg -i scrivener-1.6.1.1-beta.deb

Package installed without issue, Scrivener appears in the menu, right click on Scrivener, select "Create icon on desktop" if you want a button.

Thanks to Sh0shin on the Linux Mint forums for the help