ARM Version?

to
tony10000
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 pm Post

It would really be cool to have an ARM version of Scrivener.

I have a Samsung Chromebook (ARM) and I am running Crouton on it which allow me to load Xubuntu:
(https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton).

The Samsung Chromebook is currently the bestselling notebook on Amazon.com and it would be great to be able to run Scrivener on that device.

rd
rdeforest
Platform: Linux

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:44 pm Post

+1

I could get excited about switching my Asus Transformer to Xubuntu and running Scrivener on it.

I mean, I'd like to see Scrivener on anything more powerful than a TI-82 graphing calculator. :)

Za
Zarquon
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 am Post

Absolutely! I just got the Samsung Chromebook and got it all set up with ChrUbuntu. I didn't even think about the ARM situation until I tried to install Scrivener... Wicked bummer. I'll probably return the machine, it's that big a deal for me to have Scrivener on it.

ChrisRosser
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:34 am Post

+1 for me too

I'm thinking about investing in an ARM stick running Picuntu and would love to install Scrivner on it.

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/linux_mini_pcs.html

la
larsb

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:38 am Post

ARM based Chromebooks (with Chrubuntu) are very cheap, some have a very long battery life and they are more than fast enough for Scrivener.
I'd be very happy if there was a version of Scrivener for ARM notebooks.

Za
Zarquon

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 pm Post

You should check out the Acer C720. It uses an Intel Celeron processor with the Haswell micro architecture, so it should be able to run Scirvener. It's listed at $250 on Amazon right now and is rated really highly. I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow, and I'd happy to write up some notes on successes and failures if you're curious. I haven't been able to find anyone else running Scrivener on the C720, yet.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:21 am Post

I'd like to add my enthusiastic support for this idea.
The Chromebook line is growing, with new models from HP, Acer, and Lenovo coming soon.
And in 2014 LG may produce versions for the desktop, laptop, and tablet market as well.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:54 pm Post

druid wrote:I'd like to add my enthusiastic support for this idea.
UGH!! Thats put the mockers on it... tch!tch!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:17 am Post

Ignore that man behind the curtain.
He thinks an ARM version is a large-scale wrist or eye version.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:33 pm Post

druid wrote:Ignore that man behind the curtain.
pfffffrrrrttt!!! y' wassock! I know wot ARM means. It's short for 'A right mess. I'm not daft, y' know :shock:
Cyber Wizard
Vic-k
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
druid wrote:Ignore that man behind the curtain.
pfffffrrrrttt!!! y' wassock! I know wot ARM means. It's short for 'A right mess. I'm not daft, y' know :shock:
Cyber Wizard
Vic-k

I'd like to argue the "daft" question. one if the marks of sanity is the recognition that you might not be sane, right? so an absolute refusal to accept that you might be "not sane" means that you might be "not sane".

Doesn't that equate to "daft"?

:P
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

garpu

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:06 pm Post

I misread "draft" for "daft" and thought, "Eh, bit early, but OK." I've been on these forums too long, haven't I?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

fs
fsnk

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm Post

I'd love this too. Setting up Debian on a Cubie as a dedicated writing machine for my USBtypewriter & was intending to put Scrivener on there, but sadness.