Best Android workflow

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 am Post

Yes, I know there isn't a plan for an Android version anytime soon... not getting into that.

I normally use Scrivener on Linux, thus posting here, but use the Windows version at times. Looking to see if anybody has any suggested ways to work an Android tablet/phone into your workflow. Basic "adding" text and/or simple editing/proofing.

For editing I've been compiling to EPUB and using Moon+ Reader to edit (it allows highlighting and notes). That's ok, but didn't know if anybody had found a good RTF editor that syncs with Dropbox or anything that might work well.

Thanks for a great product!

ek
ekotyk
Platform: Linux

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:03 pm Post

I have saved to pdf and used EZ PDF reader on my tablet to read/edit using a stylus. Not terribly satisfying though.

Sp
SparkyGetsTheGirl
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 am Post

I had the same issue. What I managed to do (for Mac OSX only) is make a converter I could put in my Dropbox to change from RTF format to the much more flexible MD format. Note: Your pretty text formatting will be lost in this change, but your italicising, bold, headings, dot points will not.

So my work flow is to sync Scrivener (for example) to my Dropbox folder, run the converter and then edit the files as Markdown on my phone. Then I save them.

When I get home, I run the Markdown to RTF converter and then resync and *bam*, I’ve got my RTF formats imported into Scrivener.

The files are command line, but self-explanatory. If you want to convert from Markdown to RTF, you type md2rtf *.md
That converts all the files in the directory with the .md extension.

Here’s the link to my blog post with the files:
http://sparkygetsthegirl.com/blog/2014/ ... iting-app/

garpu

Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:54 pm Post

Thanks for the bump on this. Just got a Nexus 7. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

vamp

Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm Post

I always work in markdown anyway as I write for the web. I tend to write scenes or chapters in .txt, keep them in dropbox so I can work from android or the computer, and once done, just paste them into Scrivener. I use it more for organising and editing than the actual writing.

I use an e-reader app for editing as well. I sometimes have Moon+ Reader read my work to me, I often pick up things I wouldn't notice with my eyeballs.
Ubuntu 16.10 64bit (Scrivener not working :( )
Bodhi Linux 4.0.0 32bit

te
technofiend
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:32 am Post

You may be going about this the wrong way?

Just a suggestion but if you can get to your Linux box I'd consider using a client to connect from Android to Linux instead. VLC is a classic, I'm sure there are others.

With a bluetooth keyboard and a Nexus 7 you can have a portable scrivener terminal.

jtranter

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:49 am Post

When you say VLC, do you mean "VLC media player"? It's the only mention of VLC that I can find on Google.
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)

garpu

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:57 pm Post

I think VNC?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ch
charlie.stross

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm Post

Possibly of use to you is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=softmaker.applications.textmaker -- Textmaker is a Word (and RTF) compatible word processor, with Dropbox support. Also handles Word change tracking. It's about the best native WP I've found on Android that isn't owned by Google; superior to Documents to Go and QuickOffice (now part of Google Docs).

bi
bill1815
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:16 pm Post

Personally, I use Evernote on Android for most of my raw input, which I then transfer over to Scrivener once a day or so. That works great for me, but may not be what you're looking for.

You might want to take a look at Draft. Pretty good review here:

http://android.appstorm.net/reviews/off ... ith-draft/