Font rendering

Do
DocAltMed
Platform: Linux

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:21 pm Post

I'm using Scrivener on Ubuntu 12.10 now, with the Unity desktop. The font rendering is, if not execrable, then somewhere between sub-optimal and "I want to rip my eyes out."

The best way I can describe it is that the menus and toolbar look like a Windows program running under Wine without msttcorefonts. The fonts in the text field itself, from Free Serif to Times New Roman are subtly distorted.

I've played around with hinting and antialiasing in the systems settings, but Scrivener seems to just ignore those settings entirely.

Any suggestions?

ur
urlwolf
Platform: Windows

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 pm Post

Font rendering is an issue for me too.
Some fonts are better than others. Try Canterell.

But I agree, the skinning is seriously broken on ubuntu. I don't care much, but as a company I'd prioritize fixing this on the largest linux distro. It might be an easy fix...

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 am Post

Running Antix Debian Testing v12. I found that unchecking the 'Font Hinting' option makes all the difference between wretched distortion, and pretty good display.

Options [F12], then Editor, then under Editor Options, uncheck the "use font hinting" box.

=GB=
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

cl
clarmorr47
Platform: Linux

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am Post

On Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bit) I also found that unchecking "Font Hinting" made the difference between crappy and okay font rendering. Thanks for the tip.

th
thorjansen
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 pm Post

FYI: I had thought that using a type1 font for composition might render better, but it does only slightly. I think it might be more of a function of the X based rendering than anything to do with Scrivener specifically. If you drop your Linux font hinting to "slight", you'll see better results all around, especially on LCD screens. The "none" option is actually worse than "slight".