SCRIVENER FOR LINUX 1.5.3.1 BETA RELEASED (*LATEST*)

Yg
YggR
Platform: Linux

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:06 pm Post

Thanks a lot for your efforts - i only just now discovered Scrivener and it seems to be just the writing software i've been looking for!

I haven't had the time to test everything - probably never will - but up to now it works like a charm (i'm running Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon).

uhu
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 am Post

Here comes a bug report for cross-platform scrivening (I just realized that it happened with 1.5.3.1, not with 1.2.6; was no problems with 1.2.6 just that that version wouldn't run anymore ...):

This is the case:

1. Creating a project and writing some text, with different texts (files) under OS X. All fine. Latest version of Scriv for mac.
2. Opening that project with Scriv for Linux 1.5.3.1, Ubuntu Netbook edition, latest version. All works fine.
3. Re-opening that project with Scriv for mac. Unaltered texts/files inside projects are displayed just fine, but those I edited or created anew are just shown in "source" mode, id est the text is not parsed. Curiously, this does not happen to all Scriv projects, they are mostly doing fine. but this one is somehow cursed ...

This is how it looks like (one complete file/text as displayed in Scrivener compose mode):

Code: Select all

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\uc1\deff0
{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset1252\fprq2 Courier New;}{\f1\fnil\fcharset1252\fprq2 Sans Serif;}{\f2\fnil\fcharset1252\fprq2 CourierNewPSMT;CourierNewPS-ItalicMT;}}
{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green255\blue0;}
\paperw12240\paperh15840\margl1800\margr1800\margt1440\margb1440\fet2\ftnbj\aenddoc
\pgnrestart\pgnstarts0
\pard\plain \tx560\tx1120\tx1680\tx2240\tx2800\tx3360\tx3920\tx4480\tx5040\tx5600\tx6160\tx6720\fi560\sb160\sl288\slmult1\ql\ltrch\loch {\f1\fs48\cf2 Das sehende T\loch\af1\hich\af1\dbch\af1\uc1\u252\'FCrschloss}
\par\plain {\f2\fs48\i1\cf2 ...}
\par\plain \f2\fs48\i0\cf2
\par\plain \f2\fs48\i0\cf2
\par\plain \f2\fs48\i0\cf2}

PS. Bugger Safari. It lets me log in again when I want to submit my topic, thus discarding the contents of it. Oh how I love it.
Book on Jugger, download for free –- a real-world post-apocalyptic sport :: twitter :: Scrivener created novel (German)

bd
bdubu

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:56 pm Post

Just a reminder for any newbies installing on Linux. Before you commit to installing on your "production" system, first boot your computer into a live-CD version of the Linux distro that you're currently running and install/test Scrivener there. That way, you can test all you want without any concern that you might accidentally hose your installed system. In fact, you can go one step further and actually do all of your writing work while running your O/S from a live-CD. Simply keep your work on a USB drive and work off of it. When you're done working in Scrivener just reboot back to your installed O/S and it will remain untouched (so long as you don't try to install the Linux O/S from the live-CD). If your Linux distro won't easily run Scrivener for some reason, just boot into some other Linux live-CD. A good one that I like to use for various purposes (like when I don't want to install one-time-use software to my installed O/S) is Bodhi Linux 2.2.0 (see bodhilinux.com). It's extremely lite and quick to boot into and you can easily install software from the Bodhi website. And since it's based on Ubuntu, you can install most any software found in the Ubuntu software repository. If you don't like Bodhi, try something else. Whatever works for you is all that matters. The ability to run your computer from a live-CD is like having an indescructable Linux system (of whatever flavor you desire) always at your disposal. Want to rip your DVDs so you can watch them on your HTPC? Boot the Bodhi live-CD (vers. 2.2.0 preferred) into memory, install Handbrake and go... Want to test that cool new software development tool? Live-CD it first. Want to play around with a few Linux games? Your live-CD is your friend. I've even done full-blown LAMP development while running under a live CD (not to mention other forms of software development). Yeah, I know it sounds insane, but it just goes to show what you can do merely by rebooting your system from a live CD/DVD. Live CDs are such a useful feature of Linux that I keep a Bodhi live-CD in my laptop's DVD drive always at the ready.

ma
maxonxp

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm Post

When a new beta with spanish language support?
Thanks.

fo
foobarbaz

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:48 am Post

System:

I installed Scrivener for Windows & Linux version 1.5.3.1 Beta (32 bit) using the .deb supplied in this thread on a 64-bit Ubuntu 13.04 machine under GNOME Shell shipped with Ubuntu. (The install procedure went totally smooth and the tutorial went fine, too, by the way.)

How to repro:

Start Scrivener, possibly opening a recent project. Edit the project to add a "y" at some arbitrary position in any random document.
Select the scratch pad from the tools menu.
Click into the scratch pad and enter "x".

What to observe:

The "x" lands at the previous cursor position - i.e. behind the "y" entered before. Clicking into the scratch pad does not move the cursor there. Also, the scratch pad does not have any window decoration, making it impossible to move it around.

What's expected:

The cursor should move into the scratch pad. It should be possible to edit the notes and the titles.

uhu

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:42 am Post

Bug report
System: Ubuntu 12.X (current version) on an acer Netbook
Instance: Many documents marked in the binder, Fullscreen mode activated (thus displaying all marked documents)

What is observed:
- Hitting PgDn/Up moves cursor to the beginning of next/earlier document.

What it should do:
Scroll down/up 1 screen page, not more.

Annotations:
Especially a nuisance when working with netbook keyboards, for it happens easily that PgUp/Dn is accidentially hit instead arrow keys.

Reproducible? [x] Yes
Last edited by uhu on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Book on Jugger, download for free –- a real-world post-apocalyptic sport :: twitter :: Scrivener created novel (German)

uhu

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 am Post

Update to bug report viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21912&start=45#p156214
Cross-Platform Scrivenings

Update: To paste in the files from the Files/Doc-folder, as user above mentioned, doesn't change behaviour. Mentioned parsing error persists.
Reproducible? [x] Yes

New Bug Report #1

System: Ubuntu 12.X (current) on a netbook; internal keyboard
Problem: Pressing the Strg-keys with keyboard shortcuts do not issue (all?) commands in Fullscreen mode.
What is observed: Strg+F does not open the Find/Replace window under Fullscreen.
Reproducible? [x] Yes

New Bug Report #2

System: Ubuntu 12.X (current) on a netbook; internal keyboard
Reproduction: Open a project. Select some Scrivenings to be displayed. Click into the Scrivenings to edit. Quit Scrivener with the project still open. Restart Scrivener. Project is opened automatically.
Problem: Though all selected Scrivenings are still selected, the selection is greyed out in the binder, the contents can be edited. But fullscreen cannot be activated (greyed out). Klicking into the binder leads to deseletion of all other Scrivenings but one.
What is expected: Fullscreen should be possible without re-selecting Scrivenings.
Reproducible? [x] Yes

ca
carlo75
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:12 pm Post

Hi all,
there a list of the difference between Linux and Mac version, like the similar Win-Mac?

ro
roguemouser

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 pm Post

Sorry if this is a silly or stupid question, but when you say "expiry of end of January", does that mean that's the projected end of the beta test period? More to the point, will the Linux version still be available after that date?

bw
bwulf

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:55 pm Post

I have installed deb version from this thread on Ubuntu 13.04. Installation went smoothly but so far one critical feature is missing.

In the Research only text files are previewed, when I add pdf, doc or odt, the odf is shown as blank pages (always 5 blank pages no matter the real lenght of pdf) and doc, odt as link in the form of file name. When I click it the file is opened in external viewer.

This is really sad since this is the main reason I am trying Scrivener,

Anybody got something similar? Missing libs?

garpu

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 am Post

Too freaking braindead for a complete writeup, but Scrivener works out of the box (so to speak) on Slackware 14 (64 bit.) The file import/add crash that some were having seems to be absent, and spellcheck works normally. I know slack isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it *does* appear to be working under a 64-bit environment.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

ar
arobinsonneal
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:19 am Post

Not sure if this question has been asked, but I already own Windows Scrivener; will my login work for the Linux when it comes out of beta or will I need to purchase again?
Seek peace, and pursue it-Psalm 34:14b

Za
Zarquon
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 pm Post

Hey Devs!

Thank you for all your hard work :D

Will this run on a Chromebook with x86 architecture like the HP Chromebook 14 or the Acer C720?

-Z

ha
hamish

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 am Post

The software is great - really looking forward to an official release.

The main problem with the Beta though is that now with 80,000 words in my 'novel' Scrivener has become painfully and unusuably slow.....

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:41 am Post

hamish wrote:The software is great - really looking forward to an official release.

The main problem with the Beta though is that now with 80,000 words in my 'novel' Scrivener has become painfully and unusuably slow.....

Not that it probably helps you, but as a different data point, I've got 93K words and haven't really noticed a performance change.