SCRIVENER FOR LINUX 1.5.3.1 BETA RELEASED (*LATEST*)

d~
d~l
Platform: Linux

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm Post

.. old version or a bleeding edge version

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit .. the most stable release .. and experiencing Qt library incompatibility

I suggest that Scrivener should show any library dependencies before installation.
The Scrivener windows version does runs in Wine (although not offering a pleasing GUI).

ri
riki1kenobi
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:56 pm Post

For those having issues on Ubuntu, make sure you have the latest wine installed.

Open a terminal and enter the following command Sudo apt-get install wine let it run through the install. Now follow the next few simple steps to get Scrivener working.

1) Download the Scrivener.tar file NOT the .deb file.
2) Open the Downloads (or wherever you have downloaded it to) folder and right click the Scrivener.tar file and select EXTRACT HERE. You should now have a folder called SCRIVENER.
3) Open the SCRIVENER folder and then click into the BIN folder, inside here you will find the Scrivener.exe It might just say Scrivener it is a purple diamond shaped Icon. :wink:
4) Right click on the Scrivener icon and select MAKE LINK. A link to Scrivener icon will appear.
5) Now copy this link to the desktop. Double click on link and it opens Scrivener.

Enjoy 8)

garpu

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm Post

Just FYI, you do need the 2010 C++ redistributable. It's easily available via winetricks. (Corefonts and font smoothing will also make things look better.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

of1967
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 pm Post

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how can I remove Scrivener from my Ubuntu 12.10 system?
Thanks.
O

mo
mokane

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm Post

I installed the program on Kubuntu 12.10. There is a bouncing icon indicating the program is starting, then a new entry on the taskbar showing running programs. After about a minute, this entry disappears. I never get a splash screen or any error message. The program simply won't start.

le
lemke0

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am Post

mokane wrote:I installed the program on Kubuntu 12.10. There is a bouncing icon indicating the program is starting, then a new entry on the taskbar showing running programs. After about a minute, this entry disappears. I never get a splash screen or any error message. The program simply won't start.

Try installing ia32-libs

br
brYKou

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:03 pm Post

Check if there is MultiArch support also. It is even better than ia32 (which will be deprecated if MultiArch is enabled anyway)

mo
mokane

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 pm Post

Tried both of these; the first did not install, the second yielded the same results:

$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate

$ sudo apt-get install MultiArch
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package MultiArch

$ dpkg --add-architecture i386
dpkg: error: unable to create new file '/var/lib/dpkg/arch-new': Permission denied
mok@algol:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
mok@algol:~$ sudo apt-get update

mo
mokane

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 pm Post

Is Scrivener for Linux 64 bit? I'm already running a 32 bit Linux/Kubuntu installation. So, ialibs-32 supposedly is already there?

mo
mokane

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm Post

Also tried this (which is supposed to install the ia32 library) but it yielded the same result: bouncing min-icon, minimized to tray, then nothing. No splash screen or welcome page.

sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7-multilib

mo
mokane

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm Post

Does anyone know what the installation path for the executable is under Ubuntu/Kubuntu? I still can't get this program running.

d~
d~l

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 am Post

These notes pertain to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Install GDebi Package Installer found in Ubuntu Software Centre.
Then use System Tools > GDebi Package Installer to install downloaded Scrivener deb package.

My installation path is /usr/share/scrivener/bin
Use the command locate scrivener to find all files.

But Scrivener beta still sits unused because of the Qt library incompatibility which is not yet solved.
Meanwhile Scrivener windows runs in Ubuntu Wine.

[Later Edit]

QT incompatibility was later solved in this thread ..

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20290&start=15

rd
rdeforest

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 pm Post

I already had multi-arch support setup from a prior attempt at getting Steam installed. scrivener-1.5.3.1-beta.deb installed right away with sudo dpkg -i, but when I invoked the command it complained about not finding libgstapp-0.10.so. A little poking around revealed this library is provided by the gstreamer packages and that I already had the 64bit versions of those packages. I did a

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386

and that fixed Scrivener.

mo
mokane

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm Post

Unfortunately, it wasn't solved. Take a look at the thread again.

[Later Edit]

QT incompatibility was later solved in this thread ..

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20290&start=15[/quote]

Mi
MinotaurV

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 am Post

I don't know if this has been covered here yet. I'm having some issues with installing the latest beta.

Code: Select all

bryant@Veloc-Fulnem ~ $ scrivener
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/scrivener.sh: 36: exec: /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: not found

I've tried reinstalling and removing it with apt-get but no matter what I do I get the same error, following the logs on the computer when trying the launcher it throws the same error as I get when trying to use the terminal to open it.

As you see, it's all there... just doesn't want to work...

Sorry if this doesn't seem wll worded, it's a tad late when I finally decided to post this.