1.2.5 problem with RTF Reader

ma
magicfingers
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:16 pm Post

karl wrote:
magicfingers wrote:Same here. Once I turned off font hinting everything looks great. Also happy to report that drag&drop in the binder no longer causes crashes.
Cheers!

This is intermittent for me. If I take it off then restart Scrivener, the document I was working on looks fine. However, each time I create a new document, it looks awful and I have to restart Scrivener again to get it to look right. Is that the case for you?

It seems to want to revert to hinting for new scenes during the first edit session. When I switch to another document (i.e., another scene) and then back again to the new one, the hinting turns back off. Restart may not be necessary if this workaround works for you.

Re
RevDave

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:59 pm Post

Thanks tiho_d. renaming rtfi did the trick! didn't think about trying that. I was trying to figure out all kinds of ways to get scrivener to find that file thinking the cut off error message was saying it couldn't find it.

sl
slashedkaze

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:14 pm Post

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

Thanks everyone.

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 am Post

tiho_d wrote:Hi Guys,
We have found a workaround for your problem, but would need a little work from you too.
Go to the Scrivener installation folder under Linux(the installer uses by default: /usr/share/scrivener/bin)
Rename the application file 'rtfi' into whatever you like for example: 'mv rtfi no_rtfi'. Depending on your rights you might need to sudo your command i.e. 'sudo mv rtfi no_rtfi'. This should get you up and running without problems.
Enjoy
Tiho

Many, many thanks! This work-around worked for my #! (Crunch-Bang) Debian install, 32-bit.
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

ka
karl
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 am Post

magicfingers wrote:
karl wrote:
magicfingers wrote:Same here. Once I turned off font hinting everything looks great. Also happy to report that drag&drop in the binder no longer causes crashes.
Cheers!

This is intermittent for me. If I take it off then restart Scrivener, the document I was working on looks fine. However, each time I create a new document, it looks awful and I have to restart Scrivener again to get it to look right. Is that the case for you?

It seems to want to revert to hinting for new scenes during the first edit session. When I switch to another document (i.e., another scene) and then back again to the new one, the hinting turns back off. Restart may not be necessary if this workaround works for you.

No, that doesn't work for me :( Restart it is then.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:19 am Post

Wow, OK, I just got this one.

I was trying to move a document within a project, it hung, and I had to terminate the program. When I started Scrivener again, I'd get the RTF message (cut off), and then finally when the program loaded, my document structure was blank, but nothing would display. I restarted Scrivener, and the project was fine.

Yep, it did it again--any time I try to drag and drop something into another folder. Oops, no. It hung, didn't move the file, but recovered.

Needless to say, there's something strange afoot, and y'all aren't crazy.

ETA: I don't know if it makes a difference, but I had collections showing.

OK. I can reproduce. Create new document in a folder. Try to move it to another folder, and it'll hang. When Scrivener crashes, it'll throw the error. This seems to only happen to me when collections are displayed in the binder.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

garpu

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 am Post

Here's the terminal output when it happens. You have to drag the file around a bit to get it to crash. I also noticed that when I don't have collections showing, I get a tooltip with "move to blah". Otherwise, I don't.

% ~ /usr/local/Scrivener/bin/Scrivener
xdndHandleBadwindow returned true

It recovered this time, then when I closed it normally, I also got this:

QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '1' out of range
QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '1039' out of range

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 am Post

Hi Guys,
The font hinting problem you experienced is reviewed and a fix will be provided with a new release shortly(few days).

garpu

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:57 pm Post

Woot! Hullo and thanks, Tiho! :)