1.2.5 Scrivener for Linux RELEASED

jo
joebolin
Platform: Linux

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:07 pm Post

For those receiving the error similar to the following, I created a quick script for the tar package. Just drop it in the provided "bin" folder after unpacking the archive and "chmod +x" the script. Then you should be able to run the script instead of the binary without losing the settings for the current session.

Error: Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40802) with this library (version 0x40800)
Aborted

Script:
#!/bin/bash

mypath=$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH
./Scrivener
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$mypath

Re
RevDave
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:17 pm Post

Joe, I'm using the deb version on Kubuntu (well Ubuntu with KDE).

I tried your script and I'm still getting the incompatibility error message. I verified that QT_PLUGIN_PATH was unset and then restored, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the running of the program.

I can still use the program since I am at the moment still mostly using the Unity login, but would like eventually to move over to the more elegant KDE interface. This is stopping me.

There are a few of us who are still looking for the solution to this.

gl
glaedr
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 pm Post

Thanks for the information. :) I followed the instructions, but mine just keeps opening in Vim and wont' run as an application. Having said that I'm still relatively new to Linux so I may have done something wrong. Any ideas?

garpu

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:25 pm Post

Normally with scripts, you have to make them executable: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... hmods.html

Then to invoke a script from command line, you do ./foo. (If it isn't in your path. If it is, you can just type it like any other program.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

gl
glaedr

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:16 pm Post

Thanks. :) I did make it executable but I didn't try to run it in from a terminal. I'll give it a try.

EDIT : Agh it runs. :D Thankyou! And it can't find the templates, but I don't tend to use those anyway. :)

vo
vodou

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 am Post

The link to the .deb file is giving me 404s tonight.

vo
vodou

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:36 am Post

...Still can't download the .deb file. Any advice?

pr
primitive

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:13 am Post

vodou wrote:...Still can't download the .deb file. Any advice?

The 1.2.6 deb link in the more recent announcement works for me. The older releases appear to have been removed.

http://literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19838

Br
Broken Yogi

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 pm Post

I am new to Ubuntu, trying to install the Scrivener beta here. I have no idea what to do.

I downloaded the tar file, extracted it, found a file inside several folder called "scrivener", tried to open it, but nothing happened.

I also tried the deb file, but the installation says it failed. A "Scrivener" icon appears in my dashboard, but nothing happens when I click on it.

Is there some step-by-step instruction for dummies on how to install this version of Scrivener, that doesn't assume any knowledge of how Ubuntu works?

Thanks

da
dawinschi

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:01 pm Post

Hi!

1. open a terminal.

2. write: sudo apt-get install gdebi-gtk

3. write: gdebi-gtk

4. in the application that open go to file->open and open the scrivener.deb file

5. press install

If it don't work, look what gdebi tell you about missing files

Br
Broken Yogi

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:04 pm Post

Thanks, but still having problems.

I get as far as step 4, but get the error message "E: Unable to locate package gdebi-gtk"

The file box opens, but it's all in light grey, and I can't do anything in it, such as open a file or click on any parts of it to find scrivener.

Sorry for bothering you.

da
dawinschi

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 pm Post

if the installation with <sudo apt-get install gdebi-gtk> worked, than i don't understand, why he can not locate it & you say that it open the program window too, this is strange. Gdebi-gtk opens with a greyed-out window, this is normal, but you should be able to select File->Open anyway.

Try to install only gdebi: sudo apt-get install gdebi

After, install gdebi-gtk again.

Maybe is one problem with your windows manager too, install another one for test, e.g. xfce