Got 1.1.0 working on Mint 13 Cinnamon (64bit)

la
laughfactory
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 pm Post

The key for me was issuing the following directive from a terminal session:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

This grabbed and installed the 32-bit libraries necessary to run Scrivener on my 64-bit operating system.

I believe I also installed libaspell and libaspell-dev using the same method.

After doing the above I installed Scrivener from the terminal session as follows:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture scrivener-1.1.0-beta.deb

(note that you need to be in your Downloads folder for the above to work--assuming you downloaded it there)

si
sinndorfer
Platform: Linux

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:27 pm Post

Hello,

How can I Download the last Vesion? (URL)

ma
magicfingers
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 pm Post

sinndorfer wrote:Hello,

How can I Download the last Vesion? (URL)

look here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17933#p123797

la
laughfactory

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 pm Post

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforlinux/scrivener-1.1.0-beta.deb

ma
magicfingers

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am Post

Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit rocks! It's also a bit rocky, but it's a step in the right direction, anyway.

I feel like you've gotten me a step closer to my goal, which is a suitable distro going forward. I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 at the moment on a nice System76 laptop. I've been looking for the right upgrade -- Ubuntu 12.XX and Unity, or even Gnome Shell, aren't the way to go, alas. In a word, they suck. They suck very cleverly, don't get me wrong. But they suck nonetheless.

I'm going to build a nice desktop system and go tablet for what little mobile needs I have, so I'm looking forward to the Android version of Scrivener down the road. So it's that gaming-class desktop I'm thinking about. Dual-boot with Windows and maybe some other Linux. Maybe a hard-drive based VM or 2. Server class memory and storage. A zillion cores, 2 GPUs. I'm tired of buying stuff. I want to be able to run Crysis in a VM, maxed. Something that glows in the dark with no need for internal lighting.

I hope that the developers appreciate that using Scrivener happens inside a whole ecosystem of software and hardware. Since Scrivener is the heart of my writing "workflow" I have to shape my ecosystem around it. And my aversion to Windows is akin to some people's allergy to cats. Actually, like my allergy to cats. We can't stay in the same room for long. And so my search for a way to keep Scrivener where it belongs is hampered by the Windows thing. The best compromise I've come up with is running a VM in "unity" mode, where windows is seen but not heard, as it were.

I've tried kubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, Slackware, Centos (I know, crazy), Fedora, Arch, and a bunch of others. I tried Mint 12, wasn't happy with the result. The problems are either failure to run at all or it requiring too much of a time commitment to understand the distro enough to get things running. I mean, I've compiled custom kernels for myself, and written php driven websites so I'm not afraid of a technical challenge; I just don't have the time for that kind of thing any more. I gave up changing the clutch in my car for the same reason.

Scrivener seems to work fine with any 32-bit distro I've tried, but none of the 64-bit ones have worked until I decided to give this Mint 13/Cinnamon-64 a try, based on your experience.

So far so good, though spelling doesn't work. As long as I have a windows vm I can spell check things. Even though I have aspell and the aspell dev libs, and everything seems to run fine, I get nothing from the spell check. It works better than that on my Ubuntu 10.04 system.

So, I'm hoping the need for a true 64-bit build of Scrivener is thoroughly understood by the developers. 32-bit systems are on their way out.

tl;dr: Mint 13, thumbs halfway up.

garpu

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 pm Post

I feel like you've gotten me a step closer to my goal, which is a suitable distro going forward. I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 at the moment on a nice System76 laptop.

Oh cool. I've got a System76 laptop, too. (Pangolin Performance from a couple years ago, when they were still shipping them with Nvidia graphics.) Absolutely loved it to bits once I put slackware on it. ;) if you aren't comfortable doing a lot of things yourself, I wouldn't recommend slackware. I think my best friend is running Arch Linux these days.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ma
magicfingers

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 pm Post

garpu wrote:
Oh cool. I've got a System76 laptop, too. (Pangolin Performance from a couple years ago, when they were still shipping them with Nvidia graphics.)

Sounds like we have nearly the same machine. Mine's the panp6. It's been a solid performer, in spite of the fact that I beat on it like a desktop. Hate that keyboard, though. I've been in keyboard heaven ever since I got a retro clack-monster IBM Model M keyboard from Unicomp. Only keyboard I've ever had where the letters show no signs of wearing off after a year of pounding...

garpu wrote: Absolutely loved it to bits once I put slackware on it. ;) if you aren't comfortable doing a lot of things yourself, I wouldn't recommend slackware.

Alas, for me it's less about comfort than about time management. Now that Mint 13 is settling down for me it looks like I'll be doing less distro testing. It gets old after a while.

By the way, is the Scrivener beta just not well integrated with the Gnome desktop? Because it seems to ignore the theme completely, and just go with this old blocky Motif-ish look. I don't have that problem with Ubuntu 10.04.

garpu

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 am Post

magicfingers wrote:By the way, is the Scrivener beta just not well integrated with the Gnome desktop? Because it seems to ignore the theme completely, and just go with this old blocky Motif-ish look. I don't have that problem with Ubuntu 10.04.

Couldn't tell you. I hate GNOME and don't even have it installed.

is
isamonic

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm Post

Thanks for sharing your tips, finally got Scrivener to work! Now to figure out how to see what I've written down in an old scrivener file in mac.

la
laughfactory

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:01 pm Post

I'm thrilled to hear that my tips were able to help others get Scrivener working. I will agree that it isn't as "pretty" on Linux as it is on Windows. It seems somewhat better (*almost* Windows-ish) in the Linux distro I installed on my laptop. I read about Zorin OS 6 which is another Ubuntu derivative and decided to install it on my development/writing laptop. It's a pretty decent OS--a very natural and easy transition from Windows 7. It also has some nice effects GUI effects built-in.

In any case, I just wanted to note that the above directions also worked for getting Scrivener 1.1.0 up and running on Zorin OS 6 (not too surprising, really, given that it's a Ubuntu derivative--but surprises often lurk when switching between distros).

In my brief experience with Linux it seems that it has come a very long way in hardware compatibility and ease of install, but it still needs some work on the UI. Some things about the UIs in Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, etc. are nice, but rarely do they exhibit a cohesive and appealing UI across the entire OS--windows, taskbar, menus, etc. I'm pretty determined to get off of Windows (I'm NOT a fan of Windows 8--YUCK), but I will admit that I miss the cohesive well-thought out UI of Windows 7. The best looking Linux distro I've tried yet (probably Zorin) is about 90% refined and good-looking, but it still exhibits that ugly slate-grey which is so common in Linux. I guess that's my main quibble. Linux has some nice icon themes, but it uses slate-grey (or various shades of grey) EVERYWHERE. Ugh. But I'll take boring grey over the travesty of Windows 8 any day.

br
brent

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:19 pm Post

Just wanted to say thanks! I'm also using 64b Mint 13 and I've been running around in circles for months trying to get Scrivener to work. Laughfactory - I appreciate you taking the time to post!

garpu

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:06 am Post

YOu know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men?

Long story short, old computer was slowly dying, new computer arrived...and so did UEFI. I'm stuck learning a new distro (Arch linux seems to be the one that pisses me off the least) until Slackware updates again.

So with 64 bit, you need to install the 32 bit libraries Scrivener depends upon, yeah? (I'm not bothered by managing depenencies by hand.) That seems straightforward. Any other "gotchas" I should be aware of in my sleep-deprived state?

Right now I'm convincing myself that the extra RAM will be nice for Guild Wars 2. Not feeling to happy at the big distro change otherwise. :(