1.2.1 BETA for Linux Imminent

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:13 pm Post

daniel49 wrote: Now that imminent has gone on for over a month without an explanation of what to expect when the beta expires, I've copied and pasted everything over to Storybox.

Ever heard the expression "cut your nose off to spite your face"?
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

be
beesontoast
Platform: Linux

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 pm Post

Yes, I paid for the Windows version and I would pay again for the Linux version, if necessary.

My complaint was not so much that the software was not yet ready - which is always excusable - but that nobody had bothered to post anything for a month, having said that it was 'imminent - this week'. I don't care how busy they are, nor how much they are not being paid - that is not excusable.

ta
taxidriver

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 pm Post

beesontoast wrote:Yes, I paid for the Windows version and I would pay again for the Linux version, if necessary.

My complaint was not so much that the software was not yet ready - which is always excusable - but that nobody had bothered to post anything for a month, having said that it was 'imminent - this week'. I don't care how busy they are, nor how much they are not being paid - that is not excusable.

Pigfender, you're right. But this is true.

pigfender

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:38 pm Post

That's a matter of perspective, I suppose. This is a user forum and the moderator style is typically light-touch... ie not adding their prose to reiterate an informed user's post just for the sake of it. I wouldn't have expected them to bother to communicate a 'non-announcement' such as "we will continue to do what we've always done" given that the expiry date hasn't happened yet. But as I say, it's a matter of perspective and opinion, and you are of course entitled to yours.

Personally, I'd expect a time-extension update just before the expiry time with a function upgrade some time after that.
Image Image

ta
taxidriver

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm Post

A non-announcement' such as "we will continue to do what we've always done" it would be usefull to avoid to wait for a month a new version. However, never mind.
I'm always a Scrivener's fan. I think is a great software, and I hope one day in an official linux version.
Forgive my english.
Hi.

ma
magicfingers
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
daniel49 wrote: Now that imminent has gone on for over a month without an explanation of what to expect when the beta expires, I've copied and pasted everything over to Storybox.

Ever heard the expression "cut your nose off to spite your face"?

Now then, pigfender, I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but this is what I call "rude." And that crack of yours about "beesontoast" and honey? Also over the line. You might want to consider a PM apology to these people, if public apologies aren't your thing.

And a note to daniel49: it's easier to go back to scrivener from storybox, than it is to go to storybox from scrivener, because storybox has better export options (it will, for instance, export chapters into chapter folders). So you haven't, ah, "cut off" anything at all.

Good luck!

pigfender

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:32 pm Post

magicfingers wrote:Now then, pigfender, I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but this is what I call "rude." And that crack of yours about "beesontoast" and honey? Also over the line.

Sorry, but you are going to have to do a better job of explaining why either of those comments are rude if you want to earn an apology out of me. :D
1) Both are common English idioms containing advice not judgement.
2) Both were directly applicable to the situation used.
3) Neither were an attack which suggested a criticism of the recipient as a person - instead they were merely a commentary on actions.

You, however, have just called me rude. :(
Image Image

ma
magicfingers

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
magicfingers wrote:Now then, pigfender, I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but this is what I call "rude." And that crack of yours about "beesontoast" and honey? Also over the line.

Sorry, but you are going to have to do a better job of explaining why either of those comments are rude if you want to earn an apology out of me. :D
1) Both are common English idioms containing advice not judgement.
2) Both were directly applicable to the situation used.
3) Neither were an attack which suggested a criticism of the recipient as a person - instead they were merely a commentary on actions.

You, however, have just called me rude. :(

No, I said "this," referring to your remark, "is what I call rude." I did not say "you are a rude person." I didn't say that because your problem is much more complicated than mere rudeness--your reply gives ample testimony to that. Many of us here are writers, and I'll bet most of us are pretty good at ferreting out intent. In that light, your attempted whitewash above is pretty funny. Was that your intention?

Clever, clever pigfender.

Have a nice day--and by all means rant on, Macduff, and dam'd be him that first cries "Hold, enough!" :mrgreen:

ub
ubersoft

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:22 am Post

... and this is why I don't hang out in the Linux forum any more.

RobHamm

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:59 am Post

Hey, guys, I'm not weighing in on anything here except to ask that maybe this go to PM, since some of us are watching this thread for relevant news. Cool? I understand how things drift off-topic, and it happens, so I'm not jumping down anyone's throat here; just, I check back every time there's a new post, thinking, "Wow, so is the next beta... Oh... Nope."
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

pigfender

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 am Post

Hey Rob. Actually, I'd have thought given your previous involvement you'd have more insight into the linux updates than most...? I take it you've not heard anything then?

And magicfingers, I'm not sure quite what my problem being "more complicated than mere rudeness" means. I'm also pretty sure I've not "ranted" at all. The only intent you can assign me with good conscience is trying to dispell fears about the beta re-release based on past experience, and maybe stand in front of some grief that was being unfairly directed at L&L. Happy for you to PM me as Rob suggested if you think I've missed the point (or indeed bees or daniel).
Image Image

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:19 pm Post

Hi all,

First, my sincere apologies that everyone is coming up against the beta expiry. I've contacted Lee to see what's going on and I really hope we can have another beta out by the end of the day - anything else is clearly a massive failure on our part.

We really want to support the Linux community better in the future and are looking at alternatives to having expiring betas, but clearly it should not have come so down to the last minute with releasing an updated beta on this occasion.

Again, my sincere apologies and rest assured that I'm trying to ensure that another beta will be out ASAP.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

garpu

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm Post

If it should happen to expire in your time zone...unless they patched that hole, in previous Windows betas you were able to reset your system's clock, start Scrivener, then put it back to the correct time. (Or just keep it open overnight.)

Unless it's been fixed, that is. 8)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

pa
paulgrahamraven

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 pm Post

Hey Keith;

Thanks for the update! Though I have to say I don't think you you should be in a position where you're obliged to apologise too much, here; it's very clear at all points that Scr. for Linux is in Beta, and isn't fully supported, and that this is why it's free-to-air at present. It says a lot about the regrettable culture of entitlement that folk are willing to complain so loudly that someone currently working to their benefit for no recompense aren't doing so fast enough. I mean, I can understand your frustration - I don't want to be without Scriv either, despite having only discovered it like a month ago! - but get a sense of proportion. Or, at the very least, have some respect, y'know? Your Windows license entitles you to a maintained piece of software that runs on Windows; anything extra you get is pure gift. L&L deserve your thanks, not your opprobrium.

That said, as I think others have said before me, I'd be happy to pay the going rate for Scriv. Linux as it is currently, beta or not; that way I could feel I was contributing to the developers rather than freeloading off them. Compared to a lot of (far more expensive) software packages out there, Scriv. drips with functionality; I switched to Linux because I was sick of having to pay for software that didn't work, and that's why when I find software that actually does what it says it does, I'm happy to send its creators my money.

I suppose, now I've gone to all the trouble of logging in and signing up here, that I should report on said beta, shouldn't I? Well, I'm running it on 64bit Kubuntu Lucid (used force-architecture on install), and it's never so much as crashed (big projects start eating a lot of memory when the system has a lot of balls in the air, but that's not unique to Scriv!). The only non-functional thing I've noticed is PDF viewing in the research folders, though I haven't bothered trying any of the suggested fixes or kludges yet because I tend to use Evernote for research, and haven't yet found a reason to abandon it.

Anyway, rant over. And please, anyone, don't take the above personally; maybe it's because I'm British, but I'd give much the same lecture to someone who jumped a queue. ;)

ma
magicfingers

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:51 pm Post

garpu wrote:If it should happen to expire in your time zone...unless they patched that hole, in previous Windows betas you were able to reset your system's clock, start Scrivener, then put it back to the correct time. (Or just keep it open overnight.)

Unless it's been fixed, that is. 8)

Thanks for the reminder, garpu. Forewarned is forearmed!