1.2.1 BETA for Linux Imminent

si
sinndorfer
Platform: Linux

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:22 pm Post

One Question:
Where the last Linux-Version of Scrivener?
I searched here and have a lot of threads talk about different things, but no Download.
Some told on the official Scrivener Page there a download for Linux.. but I could not see any. Are I'm blind?

Can anyone help me please?

I have an Ubuntu 64bit

ta
taxidriver

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 pm Post

The post below."Beta 1.1.o released", but it expires on July 31.
You have to use a 32 bit version.

la
laughfactory
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:01 pm Post

Yeah, to be clear the 1.2.0 version has not yet been released for Linux. The last available version is still 1.1.0.

Am
AmazingBlair

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 pm Post

Version 1.2.1 has been "imminent" for a month now, and the current beta expires in a hair over two weeks. What's the word, O Insider Dudes?

-Blair
I am a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.
Scrivener 2.0.9.12 beta for Win & Linux.

garpu

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:18 pm Post

I think they're trying to beat down some really nasty bugs that happened with the Windows version...I wouldn't worry. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

be
beesontoast

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm Post

'imminent' and 'later this week' was a month ago... any progress?

mj
mjrice

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 pm Post

One week to go before the 1.1 beta self destructs; should we start to worry?

garpu

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 pm Post

mjrice wrote:One week to go before the 1.1 beta self destructs; should we start to worry?

Naw. :)

Longer answer: they've done this before with beta versions. Normally one comes a day or so before the expiration, and if one isn't ready, they release a version with a longer date. L&L would be straight with us, I think, if it weren't. (They were with other beta versions.)

It also wouldn't surprise me if Lee sneaks in a couple more things, too. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

gl
glaedr

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:07 am Post

*headdesk* I haven't been able to open the older beta for weeks and nobody seems to know why. And I can't download the new one either because it's not up yet. I don't suppose anyone in this thread knows why the old one closes itself as soon as I open it? It's getting a little frustrating not being able to open my files. :(

be
beesontoast

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:34 pm Post

Similar position here - no working Linux version.

If this was a commercial operation, people would be getting pissy by now, givien the total lack of communication from Above.

As it is, we are in the dark - and some of us paid our dues in the expectation of some working software. Having now almost totally switched to Linux, I am disappointed that - just because it is seen as 'free software' - developers think it is OK to simply ignore users.

A simple ' sorry guys, we are having problems here' would be a BIG improvement on silence.

te
technatica

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:11 pm Post

glaedr wrote:*headdesk* I haven't been able to open the older beta for weeks and nobody seems to know why. And I can't download the new one either because it's not up yet. I don't suppose anyone in this thread knows why the old one closes itself as soon as I open it? It's getting a little frustrating not being able to open my files. :(

Have you tried starting it in a terminal? It will usually point out where the failure is or at least provide clues. Troubleshooting your particular issue will also revolve around which distribution you are using, 32/64 bit, etc. etc.

Willing to help as I have solved a number of issues myself on both Arch 64 bit and Mint 13. Very different issues with both, but all solvable up to the limits of the software.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 pm Post

beesontoast wrote:If this was a commercial operation, people would be getting pissy by now, givien the total lack of communication from Above.

You hit the nail on the head! You've not paid. You are getting a free version of commercial software because... actually I have no idea why. I mean, are the majority of users on linux using it as a true beta to help the development effort? I suspect it's just being used as free software. Let's just say the peeps at L&L are nice folks.

And yes, the Windows version is currently in a stage of intense development as there is a tricky-to-find bug in the latest version that is affecting a small number of users. Even software developers need sleep, unfortunately.

Relax and be patient.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

be
beesontoast

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:21 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
You hit the nail on the head! You've not paid. You are getting a free version of commercial software because... actually I have no idea why.

You're wrong - I have paid! I registered and paid for the Windoze version, but I want to use the Linux version.

And even were that not the case, to say something is 'imminent' and then to leave people in the dark for a month is very poor customer relations practice and frankly, bad manners. How long does it take to post a simple 'sorry, but we are having problems' message? 30 seconds max?

I would be happy to help with the development of this software, from a user's point of view, but I need a working version first...

da
daniel49

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:56 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
beesontoast wrote:If this was a commercial operation, people would be getting pissy by now, givien the total lack of communication from Above.

You hit the nail on the head! You've not paid. You are getting a free version of commercial software because... actually I have no idea why. I mean, are the majority of users on linux using it as a true beta to help the development effort? I suspect it's just being used as free software. Let's just say the peeps at L&L are nice folks.

And yes, the Windows version is currently in a stage of intense development as there is a tricky-to-find bug in the latest version that is affecting a small number of users. Even software developers need sleep, unfortunately.

Relax and be patient.

I bought the windows version too, but used the linux version. Now that imminent has gone on for over a month without an explanation of what to expect when the beta expires, I've copied and pasted everything over to Storybox.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:08 pm Post

Beesontoast... Yes, you've paid for the Windows version, not the Linux one. If I buy insurance for my car, I don't expect the insurer to cover my house for free. If someone lends me their lawnmower one time, I don't start insulting them when they turn out to be already using it next time I need to cut my grass.

In relation to your "currently non-working" position, the developers are silly busy at the moment. If you have contacted support directly, they will get back to you as soon as they can. But remember there is a reason why there is a window.support email and a mac.support email but no linux.support one at the moment:
Official statement on Linux wrote:We don't officially support Linux at the moment... We don't have the resources at this time to tweak it into a polished, native-feeling Linux application.

Your best bet for getting this "compiled for linux" version (but let's face it not built for it or optimised to work on all the different possible implimentations of the OS) to work in a timely fashion is to lean on the experiences of other users in this community (seems appropriate for an open source platform, somehow).

In relation to the beta expiry date, well, it's not expired yet. Also, daniel49, you've had plenty of feedback on what hto expect when the beta expires, both from previous betas and from regular forum members.

In both cases, remember that you'll find more bees to put on that toast of yours if you cover it with honey instead of vinegar.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image