BETA 1.1.0 RELEASED

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:57 pm Post

RobHamm wrote:If I missed anything here, I--as usual--blame the pain pills, rather than taking responsibility for my own actions.

You should just blame vic-k like the rest of us. It's easier and requires less concern of what the pain pills make actually be causing you to type.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:03 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
RobHamm wrote:You should just blame vic-k like the rest of us. It's easier and requires less concern of what the pain pills make actually be causing you to type.

Or I could just blame the terrorists; that's even easier. "Oops, typo! Damn terrorists."
:-D
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
RobHamm wrote:If I missed anything here, I--as usual--blame the pain pills, rather than taking responsibility for my own actions.

You should just blame vic-k like the rest of us. It's easier and requires less concern of what the pain pills make actually be causing you to type.

Jaysen, I would suspect that Rob, being a denizen of the Linux world, may not have trawled through the inconsequentia of the "And Now For That Latte" forum and other areas haunted by Vic-K's various personas. As for the comparison of Vic-K's personas and "damned terrorists" ... I leave others to wrangle over that one. :shock:

X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:11 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

Jaysen, I would suspect that Rob, being a denizen of the Linux world, may not have trawled through the inconsequentia of the "And Now For That Latte" forum and other areas haunted by Vic-K's various personas. As for the comparison of Vic-K's personas and "damned terrorists" ... I leave others to wrangle over that one. :shock:

X

Mr. X, I offer the "how to stop forum spam" thread to Mr Hamm.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

sh
shel

Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm Post

Perhaps someone could help me. I previously had Beta 1.1.0 installed and working on my ubuntu 11.10 machine. I then did a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 and tried to reinstall Scrivener. Fail. The command line install seems to work, yet when I try to run Scrivener--nothing. After purging the software, I tried to just use the software center; it indicated that the program was installed yet it still offered to let me install it (suggesting, on the hand, that it had not installed). The gdebi installer gave me the same contradictory indications. In both cases, the icons for launching Scrivener appeared in my menus but when I tried to launch the programs--nothing. Command line launch of program--nothing. Anyone have any ideas. I hate to think I'd have to go back to Windows just to use this program.

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed May 02, 2012 5:24 pm Post

A lot of us are having that problem with Ubuntu right now. It seems like Scrivener is using the system libraries, even though it has it's own. Or, there is a strange combination that the system doesn't like.

For now, you'll have to go back to Windows. It will get addressed, we just don't know when. Lee et al seem to be focused on the Windows updates right now, making sure everything is working for the next version. Even though Linux is a priority for them, right now we're still at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole ;)

na
nathanzal
Platform: Windows

Wed May 02, 2012 5:56 pm Post

Rithe wrote:For now, you'll have to go back to Windows.

But if you have a modern machine (mine, for example, is 2 years old) you can install Windows in a virtual machine and run Scrivener there; you don't have to literally "go back to Windows." That's what I've been doing. I use VMware (which is now open source and therefore free), but there are other alternatives. I connect Windows and Ubuntu files via Dropbox, so I can work in either environment. Needless to say I never use both at the same time. I use this instead of network shares because it backgrounds the synchronization. Knowing all of my files, including my automatic backup directory, are saved in the Dropbox cloud provides a certain measure of peace of mind.

I'm looking forward to the day when I won't need to do this, of course.

Here's a question: has anyone tried running the Windows beta on Wine?

garpu

Wed May 02, 2012 6:01 pm Post

Here's a question: has anyone tried running the Windows beta on Wine?

I switch between the two, and it requires a modern version of wine (at least 1.3.5 if not 1.5.whatever) and a bunch of overrides with winetricks. PDFs used to work, but don't after they switched to quickpdf. If you search, I've dumped a bunch of tips gleaned to get various things working (like snapshots, which requires dx9 and a few overrides in the library tab.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

garpu

Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm Post

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=21780 Preliminary install steps there. I don't think you need the Qt dll anymore. I didn't put it in place before installing on my laptop, and it runs fine. You do need to follow the override instructions if you want to get Snapshots working and to register. (They're on the 1.0 test data.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

RobHamm

Thu May 03, 2012 4:20 am Post

I just used a clean install of Lubuntu 12.04 for my write group, and had no trouble with Scrivener in LXDE. Getting ready to do a clean install of vanilla Ubuntu (I personally dislike Unity, but Scrivener needs to work with it, so I'll take one for the team.) to check that out. Is this problem unique to 64-bit systems? If so, I may have to try to dig out another machine from someplace or re-install VirtualBox, as I'm back to all 32-bit.
-Rob
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

RobHamm

Thu May 03, 2012 7:36 am Post

(Double-posting 'cause I figured you'd want an answer, and this way you'll be alerted and stuff.) Aaaaaaaand this is one example of why the Powers That Be are keeping Scrivener for Linux in beta for now and not letting us pay for it until they can stick a fork in it and call it done. ;-) 'Cause as much as we love it, looks like that are still a few things that need to be addressed.

Basically, thought, alles gut with my test run, so I'm not sure how much help I can be other than by giving you hope. Installed 32-bit Ubuntu Pangolin, ran updates--and yeah, QT was one of the things that updated--then double-clicked the Scrivener deb. Software Center threw an error (said it crashed, but it didn't), but showed Scrivener as installed, and sure enough, when I went to (*shudder*) Unity and clicked the icon, Scrivener-y goodness filled my screen.

Considering that Software Center threw that error, if all else had failed, I'd likely have done an uninstall of Scrivener, then gone in and manually removed any residual directories and their contents. (Easy enough to see where everything goes by opening the deb with an archive manager and looking at the directory structure.), then install gdebi and use it to reinstall Scrivener. But since you already tried gdebi, I'm not sure what to tell you on that.

Ain't beta testing fun? Can't wait to start over with Android!
:-D
-Rob

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu May 03, 2012 2:43 pm Post

Interesting. I did a fresh install of Pangolin Kubuntu the other day, and it won't work for me with that one. I'm running the i686 version, not the x64.

I see 2 possibilities. The x64 version doesn't have the newer QT version that the i686 does. Or, Ubuntu doesn't have the updated version that Kubuntu is using.

flips
Platform: Mac

Sun May 06, 2012 6:38 pm Post

How awesome that you're working on Scrivener for Linux! Just a quick question: Is the .deb built on/for Ubuntu or Debian?
Should work on both, I presume ... (Hm, maybe I should find a FAQ or something before asking questions.) :D
Scrivener on iOS, OS X and Linux, I'm so excited! :)
flips 8)

pw
pwiseman

Tue May 08, 2012 8:28 pm Post

I just had quite a time getting Scrivener installed on my 64-bit Debian testing system. I had to install 32-bit gstreamer libraries and liborc. But it finally fired up and I've started the tutorial. I kept notes on how I did it if anyone's interested. You can't just install 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system, so I deviated from The Debian Way.

Patrick

pw
pwiseman

Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm Post

Experience so far: I'm very impressed with the concept. But it shows me no PDFs, just a blank screen, which I think someone else reported; and it crashes when I try to take a snapshot. Since I'm running it from a terminal at the moment, I can tell you why it crashes: /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib32/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0: undefined symbol: g_error_get_type (/usr/local/lib32 is where I installed the 32-bit libraries.)

2012/05/10 update: the same crash happens when I try to play the ThisIsBuzzAldrin file. I wonder if there's something wrong with my gstreamer version? Or some file missing wherein that symbol is defined?

Further update: Googling revealed that that error is not uncommon. I installed the 'stable' gstreamer libraries instead of the 'testing' ones, and Scrivener no longer crashes when taking a snapshot or playing media files; it just doesn't play the media file, giving me instead a list of warnings that various libraries gstreamer is trying to load are ELF64. It seems gstreamer is hard-coded to look in /usr/lib, where, of course, my libraries are 64bit. In any case, it seems that Scrivener is usable now, and I look forward to playing with it. Having completed the tutorial, interrupted by a couple of crashes, I like what I see.

Patrick