BETA 1.1.0 RELEASED

ek
ekotyk
Platform: Linux

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm Post

Don't know why Scrivener won't installed under wine, but installed the deb file at the command line. :oops: Think I'm starting to forget my command line stuff. Panick averted.

garpu

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:53 pm Post

If you're installing it via WINE make sure you have the dependencies installed via winetricks. They're listed in the wiki. You also need to be running the most recent version of WINE.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

na
nathanzal
Platform: Windows

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:36 pm Post

garpu wrote:If you're installing it via WINE make sure you have the dependencies installed via winetricks. They're listed in the wiki. You also need to be running the most recent version of WINE.

I went looking for the wiki at the location specified in this post:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10578&start=0#p81845,

and it doesn't appear to be there -- I get redirected to the top-level knowledge base page. Any idea where it went?

garpu

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm Post

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=21780

Not sure. That should give you the dependencies. You shouldn't need a QtSvg4.dll anymore. Make sure you remove the entry for msvcrt.dll in the library tab of winecfg before you register it, though.

garpu

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:50 pm Post

Also, install directx9 and give overrides for devenum.dll and dxdiagn.dll to get snapshots working.

CK
CK9

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:04 am Post

Also had a problem installing via the Ubuntu Software Centre, however the command line worked: -

sudo dpkg -i scrivener-1.1.0-beta.deb

Or for 64-bit linux: -

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture scrivener-1.1.0-beta.deb

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm Post

Installed .deb file on CrunchBang linux using GDebi. Runs perfectly so far. Joy! :D
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

an
annabunches

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 pm Post

I just installed Scrivener for the first time. Worked fine in Fedora 16 x86_64, just had to:

yum install gstreamer-plugins-base.i686

Haven't tested it at *all*, just wanted to verify that it at least loads without complaining, once the 32-bit libraries it wants are available.

For other fedora / gnome-shell users, to make it available in the gnome-shell search, I created the file:

~/.local/share/applications/scrivener.desktop

with these contents:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Scrivener
Exec=/home/<username>/opt/Scrivener/bin/Scrivener
Path=/home/<username>/opt/Scrivener
MimeType=x-scheme-hoofler/scrivener;
Terminal=false
Categories=Office;
StartupNotify=false

jo
johnrobert

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 pm Post

ekotyk wrote:It does tell me wrong architecture, (my system is 64 bit Ubuntu), but I'm sure I've installed 32 bit stuff before and it worked.

Ekotyk, have you tried the following command for your installation:

Rob gave these instructions last year for getting the 32-bit debs to load, and it just worked for me again in installing 1.1.0 onto my 64-bit Kubuntu system.

You can find some additional information about getting spellcheck working at:
http://www.robhamm.com/legacy/primary-c ... ux-29-beta

And by the by, big thanks to Lee and Rob and everyone who is working on Scrivener and Scrivener for Linux. Much appreciated and my money is still sitting in my wallet waiting for an appropriate opportunity. ;)

ph
phibxr

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:30 pm Post

Code: Select all

The above works fine for me under Ubuntu 12.04 beta 2 64-bit on two separate computers. Thanks. :)

Quick edit: And I agree with the above poster -- I've got my money ready and waiting for the final release as well. 8)

eg
eggbert

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 am Post

For anyone getting "Cannot mix incompatible Qt library" errors while running KDE (but not otherwise), the solution is to clean up your environment:

Code: Select all

unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH

You could probably just add this to the Scrivener shell script. Note that you won't want to stick this in your .profile, as it will make KDE unhappy.

Registered just to share this tidbit, and to thank L&L for supporting linux (albeit incipiently). I look forward to the working linux release.

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:39 pm Post

Hmm... doing that isn't helping. I edited the Scrivener script in /usr/bin and put that before the LD_LIBRARY_PATH line. That's the right place, correct?

ed
edf

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:15 pm Post

Er, did the 64-bit versions ever get released? I couldn't find a link in this thread.

Been doing my writing in vi for two months now -- there really needs to be a Linux version that doesn't expire.

na
nathanzal
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:22 pm Post

edf wrote:Er, did the 64-bit versions ever get released? I couldn't find a link in this thread.

Been doing my writing in vi for two months now -- there really needs to be a Linux version that doesn't expire.

Agreed!

I remember reading something not long ago that the 64-bit betas are pretty much dead for the time being. Priorities, limited resources, etc.

Try PyRoom (pyroom.org), full screen edit, simple, easy to configure. Writes plain text files. There's an Ubuntu PPA or you can just use the tarball. Anything - even gedit - is better than vi for real writing--unless you're a certifiable vi wizard, of course. :wink: I say this as someone who has used vi since the early 80s. [my god, nobody's that old...]

I've got the beta working on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 system -- everything but the spelling & PDF display works fine. I've even moved away from running my Windows XP virtual machine, where I have the official release. Ubuntu manages font hinting better, among other things.

Cheers,

Nathan

RobHamm

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:36 pm Post

edf wrote:Er, did the 64-bit versions ever get released? I couldn't find a link in this thread.

Did you try these instructions for getting either of the last two betas running on a 64-bit system?
http://www.robhamm.com/legacy/primary-c ... ux-29-beta

And yeah, but Lee and crew want to make sure it's bulletproof before officially releasing a Linux version. Considering Lee has said something about Fedora becoming his development platform of choice (or something like that, if I remember correctly), you can have confidence that those releases will keep coming until there finally is a full official Linux release. And eventually, an Android release, as well. In the meantime, free betas that last three months at a time isn't bad. (Uh, you did know that the last beta ran until the end of March and this one runs until the end of June, right?)
;-)

If I missed anything here, I--as usual--blame the pain pills, rather than taking responsibility for my own actions.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."