An interesting problem with Wine & product registration

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:54 am Post

Oh lovely. I use .NET a lot over with Steam. Are they suggesting to roll back to 1.3.32?

Y'know, screw it. I'm rolling back to 1.3.32.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ub
ubersoft

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 am Post

I rolled back to 1.3.28 and activation worked on 1.3!

So I think it is a 1.3.33 problem. When I find a deb for 1.3.32 I'll move back up to that, but... I'm relieved!

garpu

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 am Post

Wow, interesting.

Any ideas how to submit this as a wine regression issue? I've got a page for Scrivener already:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=12274

Edit: if you do upgrade to 1.3.32, can you try to register Scrivener? I've already done 3-4 registrations this week due to the corruption weirdness I was experiencing.

ub
ubersoft

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 am Post

What I'm trying now is to put it on a CrossoverOffice bottle. I haven't had a lot luck with CXOffice in the past but the last time I tried was back in the beta days when wine still had those dll dependencies. If CXOffice will run Scrivener now I'll be tempted to leave it there and bring wine back up to 1.3.33.

ub
ubersoft

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 am Post

So it seems to run exceptionally well in CXOffice 10.2.0. I'll even go so far as to say that whatever customizations they do vastly improves font rendering--which, prior to 1.3.33 in wine, wasn't really bad to begin with. Anyway, just throwing that out there. CXOffice even has an entry for Scrivener as a community-supported application, though it does still state that you need to provide those dlls (even though you actually don't, since I didn't, and it installed without any issues.)

ub
ubersoft

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 pm Post

At this point I feel pretty comfortable saying that the error that keeps crashing the 1.0.3 version of Scrivener has to do with either a new feature added to or a regression in the latest version of Wine (1.3.33).

I say this because when I backed out of 1.3.33 and ran 1.3.28 instead, Scrivener 1.0.3 installed and ran without any problems (and it automatically updated and registered properly as well). Also, when I installed it in it's own Bottle in CXOffice (which also uses an earlier version of wine) it installed without any difficulties and runs just fine there too.

I'm going to just leave it in the CXOffice bottle and make that my primary Scrivener install for now, that way when wine continues to update I won't have to worry about it randomly breaking Scriv. I use vanilla wine mostly for games anyway. :-)

RobHamm

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 pm Post

Eep! See, I go away for a while, and not only do new problems arise, they get fixed. Damages a guy's ego, y'know?
;-)

Yeah, I'm setting up WINE right now (Been distro-hopping.), but yeah, I noticed that the last time I updated it, all the fonts--even the MS fonts I installed via winetricks--looked like hell; they were barely readable. I have heard, however, that a workaround for this is to uninstall the MS core fonts from your actual Linux system. Because apparently WINE goes for those first now, or something, before looking at the ones actually installed in WINE. No idea if this is accurate, and if it is, it seems like a fairly strange bug, but some guy says he fixed his ugly font-rending by doing just that.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

garpu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 am Post

Actually, it's a wine registry thing.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16338

I would not advise using 1.3.33 just yet, though. Try 1.3.32 or below.

garpu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 am Post

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=625

Whoah, Nelly. That's a game-stopper for Scrivener. I wonder if it's an issue in 1.3.33, where it wasn't in prior versions? Old bug, though.

ub
ubersoft

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:11 pm Post

The wine registry thing is for the fonts, right? That's a different issue from the game crashing/cannot register thing, isn't it?

I don't think that bug is still true, since I've put custom DLLs in my folder since 2002 (for some other games) and it seems to have worked.

garpu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm Post

Yeah, but I'm wondering if it's back, since there are some custom dlls from the C++ redistributable in the Scrivener folder.

garpu

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:16 pm Post

http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.3.34

Hrm. Bunch of new fixes, including the ones I think were making Scrivener so unstable. Think I'll wait for another version.

se
seafoxfp
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:41 am Post

It is now 2019, August, and I have the same or similar issue. I have installed dot net 4.0 to 4.62 in my Wine container and Scrivener has been working wonderfully. My daughter purchased it for me for my birthday and I now want to activate the license. I am told that TLS 2.1 is not enabled and it cannot connect to the license server.

I am at wits end at this point. Yes I use Ubuntu. Microsoft has it's own version of Linux. Apple uses a UNIX derivative. There should be LINUX support. I was able to download FadeIn perfectly. It is nice, but my daughter gave me Scrivener for a present and I would like to get it working. Can anyone help me?

Rob Kievit
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:06 am Post

I've got the same problem: Scrivener is running fine under LinuxMint using WINE 4.0, but only in trial mode.

When I fill in my registration credentials in the pop-up window when Scrivener starts, I get an error message. There appears to be a problem with Paddle, the helper programme that Scrivener calls on to handle payments and licenses, not with Scrivener itself. Apparently, Paddle requires Transport Layer Security 1.2 to operate safely. It sounds logical then that TLS 1.2 should be activated, and the question remains: how does one do that on a Linux system?

I also posted this question on the WINEhq forum, where people are helpful, but are also assuming that you know your way around Linux, which I don't, just yet.

I'm a Linux newbie and I find it hard to get to grips with this problem. I would be grateful for any help.
Attachments
Paddle-error.png
Paddle-error.png (67.23 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 am Post

Typically, the TLS version is handled by the application and the requests that it makes to the underlying framework, assuming the framework supports them. I would suspect this is why the Paddle code requires a minimum of .NET 4.5 to be installed -- to provide TLS 1.2 support.

If you have not used the winetricks advice given in other threads on the forum to ensure that you have *AT LEAST* .NET 4.5, preferably .NET 4.6.2 or even the latest version of .NET 4.7 installed, then you should do so.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot