Regretting installing Ubuntu 11.10

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:40 am Post

Well, the original message I'm getting (without moving lib to lib.old) is saying that the QT libs aren't compatible. 11.10 is running 4.7.4, and Scrivener is running 4.7.2 it looks like. Updating the libs for Scrivener might make a difference.

Installing webkit didn't end up helping at all, either. I also tried installing a few other QT related libs that looked like they weren't installed. No go.

I'm guessing it's more related to changes in 4.7.4 that is causing this.

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:05 pm Post

I installed Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit briefly the other day and couldn't reproduce, but I'll try it again on a virtual machine. For the record, I installed using the .deb I built (which will be hosted here, but for now is at http://robhamm.com/main/2011/10/04/blog ... eb-package). Install on a 32-bit system should be a matter of a double-click, but there are instructions on that page for installing on 64-bit systems, as well. I don't see any way that should fix the problem you're having, but as I said, I didn't have any issues. Confusing.

If I can reproduce the error, I have a possible fix. Others have had the same difficulty with different KDE apps looking for older QT libraries, and it looks like they got around it by changing the hardlinks in the application's lib directory to link to the more recent libraries on the system--not a good solution in Scrivener's case, but it did give me an idea. I'm not a "real" developer, but It looks to me like Scrivener takes the same approach to some of the QT libraries--as in some are links to the libraries installed on the system, not the actual libraries themselves, so maybe it could just be distributed with the full libraries instead of hardlinks? I'll try replacing the hardlinks in Scrivener's lib directory and see if that helps, and if it does, we can pass the fix upstream.

Look here: http://bitnode.net//2011/05/06/using-sp ... -qt-4-7-2/
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

ed
edf

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:48 pm Post

Running Scrivener on 11.10-64 is not going to reproduce the error; it would have to be 11.10-32.

Scrivener is using 32-bit Qt libraries, which will not conflict with system Qt libraries on a 64-bit system (unless KDE is compiled as 32-but, which is extremely unlikely). It is only when there are 32-bit Qt system libraries pre-loaded that the conflict occurs.

Has anyone determined if this happens *only* when KDE is running? That is, running Kubuntu 11.10-32 (which has 32-bit system Qt libs) but using another window manager (Fluxbox, GNOME, xfce, E17, xmonad, rat poison, whatever) does not reproduce.

garpu

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:51 pm Post

I don't think it's a KDE problem so much as a shared library configuration problem. I"m using KDE, and I haven't had an issue. I'm almost always launching it via command line, however.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

RobHamm

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:08 am Post

garpu wrote:I don't think it's a KDE problem so much as a shared library configuration problem. I"m using KDE, and I haven't had an issue. I'm almost always launching it via command line, however.
Yeah, but you're a technomancer. You wave your hand at computers and they sit up and beg for you. ;-)

Seriously, though--Are you running 32-bit, Garpu? 'Cause apparently this doesn't happen in 64-bit distros. I'm going to try to reproduce the error, but dunno if it'll be in time to be of much help, on account of I'll probably continue to be out of my gourd on various meds for about another week--which is not nearly as much fun as it sounds. (And I learned by frakking up my machine a few days ago that I probably shouldn't do stuff like that in times like this. Ever accidentally format your home partition instead of your system partition when doing an install? Yeah, thank Kibo for backups.)

I may give it a shot anyway--In between watching the World's Most Neurotic Cockatiel trying to eat my backpack. Wow, that was random. Did I mention the breathing and pain meds? My world is a strange place right now. :-D
-Rob
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

garpu

Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:35 am Post

Yeah, 32 bit. Laptop has Qt 4.7.something, and Scrivener runs just fine on that. (with KDE)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ub
ubersoft

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:16 pm Post

I've had zero problems running it, but I'm running 64 bit. Of course, the spell checker is useless. So there's that. I stick to running it in wine for the most part.

ed
edf

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm Post

I installed Kubuntu 11.10 32-bit in a VirtualBox instance and can reproduce this problem.

The same error occurs when starting Scrivener from the launcher or from the command-line, with or without the LD_LIBRARY_PATH override.

The problem occurs in both KDE and fluxbox, so it is not caused by a KDE background process.

When I get the chance, I'll experiment with moving additional libraries into /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/lib -- this is something that can probably be solved by packaging more libraries.

Ri
Rithe

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 am Post

I can confirm that the newest beta, .46, does the same thing.

ed
edf

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm Post

This is a pretty tough conflict to resolve; tried a couple of workarounds, and nothing helped.

1. Killed off X (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop), logged in to a virtual console, and started X with Scrivenever as its only client (xinit /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener) -- no luck, same "incompatible library" error. Tried this again after killing off every process but the getty, got the same results.

2. Ran the Linux dynamic linker on every .so included with Scrivener to see if there was a broken dependency somewhere down the chain:

Code: Select all

bash$ find /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte -name '*.so' -exec /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --list \{\} \; | grep -i qt

This shows all of the Qt libraries used by any of the plugins or libraries shipped with Scrivener; they all resolve to the /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte versions. Tried this again with an empty plugins directory: no dice.

From #1 it is apparent that this problem is not caused by previously-loaded software using the system Qt libraries.

From #2 it is clear that there are no dependencies on Qt libraries outside of the ones shipped with Scrivener.

It is hard to tell whether this is something screwy in Scrivener's Qt libraries (unlikely), in Qt 4.7, or in Kubuntu itself.

Ri
Rithe

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 pm Post

Well, for now, I'm going to go back to 11.04. Strange that an update to the OS with newer libs would do this. I thought I was running KDE4.7 as well, which should be what 11.10 is running.

St
Stephan

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am Post

I got frustrated with Ubuntu 11.10. First there was the mouse placement issue with Unity 2D (see http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15612), and then Unity in general just wasn't behaving well. It made the whole process quite frustrating.

So I've gone back to Linux Mint 11 and everything is working fine once more.

pr
prof_yaffle

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:29 am Post

Since upgrading to 11.10 I've been getting a similar problem. Scrivener starts up okay (in fact it's a lot quicker since the clean install of 11.10) but if I try to move a scene, either in the cork board or binder, Scrivener immediately closes saying,

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40704) with this library (version 0x40702)

This is running XFCE with a 32 bit install.

Also the crash happens as soon as I move the card into a new position, but before I release the mouse,

RobHamm

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:12 am Post

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in the launch script,but something there doesn't look right to me. First, shouldn't there be quotation marks, and is that space supposed to be there after the colon? If someone else could take a look at that, it'd rock. (And remember, I'm not a "real" developer, just a guy who hacks together .deb packages, so if the following is stupid, please bear with me.)

Instead of

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/share/LiteratureAndLatte/lib: /usr/share/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener
(Note, as I said, the space after the colon and the lack of quotation marks.)

Shouldn't it be something like

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/share/LiteratureAndLatte/lib:/usr/share/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener"

Also, some other apps have been reported having a similar problem, and some have speculated that it isn't the libraries itself, but certain KDE plugins.
-Rob

pr
prof_yaffle

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:23 pm Post

prof_yaffle wrote:Since upgrading to 11.10 I've been getting a similar problem. Scrivener starts up okay (in fact it's a lot quicker since the clean install of 11.10) but if I try to move a scene, either in the cork board or binder, Scrivener immediately closes saying,

I've just installed beta 1.0.1 and the problem has been fixed.