[Error] Name Generator not found

sh
shrander
Platform: Linux

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:31 pm Post

Has the name generator been removed from the latest linux release? It was in the previous version, but now when I go to the name generator button in the menu, I get the following error:

unable to open database file Error opening database

Can't open names source at location: /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/resources/toolbox/namestool/alias

When I went to see if this was a permissions issue, I found that the resources directory does not exist.

JG Starsoupsky

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm Post

I'm actually not used to having the name generator work. I recall some instructions (from the wiki, perhaps, and possibly out of date) on copying over some data files from the windows version. But if you had this working earlier, there might be a more simple fix.

How did you install (or how are you running) your current version of scrivener?

sh
shrander

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:48 pm Post

I installed the Linux version. Untar then moved to the /usr/local directory.

I double checked, the actual name generator program is working, but the database that it uses to generate names is what is missing. It seems like they did not link it in the latest build.

I haven't tried stealing the db from the windows version, but I agree that should just transfer easily over. Now to find a windows box...

JG Starsoupsky

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:28 pm Post

You should also be able to grab the files you need from a WINE-based install on Linux. It seems the only one you need is called 'alias', and it's identified by Linux as a SQLite 3.x database.

This worked for me on 029 (data from Windows 029 install to Linux 029):

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p  /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/resources/toolbox/namestool

sudo cp ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Scrivener/resources/toolbox/namestool/alias /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/resources/toolbox/namestool/

I'd attach the alias file here, but I can't compress to smaller than 1.4MB (limit seems to be 1 megabyte).

RobHamm

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 am Post

Worked for me, man. Thanks. Next time I build a beta .deb, I'll include it.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."