024 deb?

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Thu May 19, 2011 8:51 pm Post

Hm. Very strange. It installed for me without a hitch. I'm not a developer by any means, but when I have time later tonight I'll dig into it and see what I can do. And wait... I didn't realize there was already a 2.4 deb posted. Where is it?
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

JG Starsoupsky

Thu May 19, 2011 9:00 pm Post

The .deb I made (based off of cwoac's template) was posted a little earlier in the thread with a megaupload link.

Anyone is welcome to try a direct download as well now (scrivener_0.2.4_i386.deb) :
http://www.handsomeplanet.com/wp-conten ... 4_i386.deb .

do
domagoj

Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm Post

JG Starsoupsky thx a lot installation went just fine.

JG Starsoupsky

Fri May 20, 2011 5:38 pm Post

domagoj wrote:[...] thx a lot installation went just fine.

Good to hear. Out of curiosity, what platform are you running (Debian/'buntu version, and 32 or 64-bit)?

RobHamm

Sat May 21, 2011 8:58 pm Post

@JG Starsoupsky--
I uninstalled the package I put together and installed yours using

Code: Select all

dpkg -i --force-architecture scrivener_0.2.4_i386.deb

(sudo dpkg -i --foreign-architecture i386 scrivener_0.2.4_i386.deb didn't work for me--Just threw a bunch of errors.)

Working great so far, and thanks! The two packages, once started, seem to run about the same.

A couple of things caught me by surprise, though--The command to launch via terminal is Scrivener, not scrivener (or scrivener-beta), as it was in earlier iterations, and the launch icon is created in the "other" section (as opposed to "office"), and is initially hidden until you go into "edit menu" and check the box. All that needs done to have the launcher go to the "office" section is to--in the Control file--list the section as "editors." No idea why it didn't show up at all by default, though.

As for the package I built, I've been basing mine on the ones Randy was building, and while they install and uninstall without a hitch using Ubuntu's software center, they no longer show the beta expiration notice. And spell-check still doesn't work in either your package or mine on my system. Is this a function of the 32 vs. 64 bit architecture having library disagreements? And if so, any ideas how to change that to either make one universal build or split off into separate 32 and 64 bit branches? I don't know what to change there.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick 64-bit, by the way, and I have the 32-bit spellcheck libraries installed.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

JG Starsoupsky

Sun May 22, 2011 4:55 pm Post

@RobHamm --
Thanks for the details -- I think those are very helpful for anyone who is trying to use a .deb.
I really would like to dig into some of this, but time is short at the moment. I'm hoping I can test some of these things on a clean VM install.
I have spell check working on my Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit system, but I've also had this system running and continuously updated with lord knows what libraries since probably 2006. If something is necessary, it's probably already there.
My laptops are running 11.04 64-bit, so I'll check those as soon as I can. (At the moment, I'm using them to do some filesystem backups -- looks like a different hard drive is dying, so....)

The 'Scrivener' versus 'scrivener*' thing was a bit of a surprise to me as well. I don't know if it's possible to do symbolic links via .deb files, but that might be one way to solve that.

I've only packaged one other application, so I'm still quite a newbie on that front. But since the Debian packaging system is one of the reasons I started using Debian (then Ubuntu) originally, I'm happily learning what I can (now that there is a need, as it were).

Can you point me to one of Randy's templates so I can peek at that as well?

pi
piapiapiano

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:13 pm Post

I've tried installing both Rob Hamm's and J G Starsoupsky's deb packages, and each time I've tried to create a new file Scrivener has shut down and this error message has appeared in the terminal:

/usr/share/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener: symbol lookup error: /usr/share/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener: undefined symbol: _ZN9QTextEdit25currentTableFormatChangedERK11QTextCursor

I'm running 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx, if that's any help.

(And, if it's not already obvious, I'm not particularly clued up on command line level stuff)

Do
DocAltMed

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 pm Post

domagoj wrote:hi i also got the similar error:
error in Version string 'beta-2.4': version number does not start with digit

Platform was 64bit Ubuntu 11.04.

Same thing here, but on a 32-bit 11.04. I tried to install with dpkg -i

JG Starsoupsky

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:52 am Post

@docaltmed

Which .deb version are you seeing that error on? What was the exact command you typed?

JG Starsoupsky

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:54 am Post

piapiapiano wrote:I've tried installing both Rob Hamm's and J G Starsoupsky's deb packages, and each time I've tried to create a new file Scrivener has shut down and this error message has appeared in the termina [...]

Do you have any previous versions installed (wine or native version)? How are you launching the Scrivener?

uriel1998

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 am Post

garpu wrote:
Presumably they've more interesting things to worry about.

Right like not knowing basic linux system administration.

Garpu, you realize that being snarky does not actually encourage people to learn OR make you look smart? Instead, it makes them discount you (and linux, thanks much) and makes you look like a jerk.

As a serious note, garpu's actually right. It was almost as easy to install via tarball - because it's already compiled. If you're still having trouble with the deb file, give this a shot (I'm running Openbox over Ubuntu 10.04):

Download the file. File-roller uncompresses the tarball easily, the script here makes the libraries load properly, and I just posted instructions on creating a launcher

garpu

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm Post

Last edited by garpu on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

pi
piapiapiano

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm Post

JG Starsoupsky wrote:
piapiapiano wrote:I've tried installing both Rob Hamm's and J G Starsoupsky's deb packages, and each time I've tried to create a new file Scrivener has shut down and this error message has appeared in the termina [...]

Do you have any previous versions installed (wine or native version)? How are you launching the Scrivener?

I tried installing it as a tar wotsit a while ago and never got that to work so deleted all the files that were zipped up in there. And then these 2 later versions. I uninstalled via the software centre before trying to install it the 3rd time. I launched it via the terminal.

JG Starsoupsky

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm Post

piapiapiano wrote:I tried installing it as a tar wotsit a while ago and never got that to work so deleted all the files that were zipped up in there. And then these 2 later versions. I uninstalled via the software centre before trying to install it the 3rd time. I launched it via the terminal.
. . . . . . . .

At this point it might be best to wait and try again with the June 30 update.

pi
piapiapiano

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:40 pm Post

Thank you! Just installed the new release and so far it's working fine!