What does this mean?

Kn
Knuxchan
Platform: Linux

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm Post

I'm getting this error when I try to install Scrivener on my EeePC. I'm still a newbie to the Linux OS, and I'm not sure what I need to do to rectify this issue. I read through the Wiki to install the program on Ubuntu, but I didn't see anything in regards to these particular library files.

Any help would be appreciated! I attached a screenshot of the error.
screen.png
screen.png (22.31 KiB) Viewed 3035 times

garpu

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm Post

if you go to /lib and do ls -la libc*, what do you get?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Kn
Knuxchan

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:45 pm Post

I attached another screenshot of what I get when I do that:
screen2.png
screen2.png (16.41 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

garpu

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 am Post

It looks like your version of glibc is too old. You should be able to update with your distro.

Kn
Knuxchan

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:10 am Post

Is that something I would have to get from the Asus EeePC website or somewhere else? Are the library files part of the Bios? or Utilities? This computer didn't come with any external CDs or anything since there is no optical drive in the computer, so all of the software on here is pre-installed.

RobHamm

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 am Post

Knuxchan wrote:Is that something I would have to get from the Asus EeePC website or somewhere else? Are the library files part of the Bios? or Utilities? This computer didn't come with any external CDs or anything since there is no optical drive in the computer, so all of the software on here is pre-installed.

While there are other ways to update those libraries, if you've never run your update manager, there's probably other stuff that needs freshening up, as well.

For now, either find the update manager in your administration tools, or open a terminal and type the following:
/usr/bin/update-manager

(You might want to head over to ubuntu.com and have a look around for more information on getting started with the basics, too. You're probably using the netbook edition, and I'm guessing either 10.04 or 9.10.)
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

Kn
Knuxchan

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:29 am Post

When I type: /usr/bin/update-manager
I get this error:

Code: Select all

bash: /usr/bin/update-manager: No such file or directory

And I assume this is the Netbook version, since I am using a netbook, but I don't know how to find out for certain.

RobHamm

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:07 am Post

Knuxchan wrote:When I type: /usr/bin/update-manager
I get this error:

bash: /usr/bin/update-manager: No such file or directory

And I assume this is the Netbook version, since I am using a netbook, but I don't know how to find out for certain.

Hm. If you're having trouble finding the update manager from your menu or launcher you could try whereis update-manager to find it, but honestly, it sounds like you could use some help getting started with the basics. We've gotten well away from "How do I get Scrivener to run," and into, "How do I perform basic tasks with my operating system." There's nothing wrong with not knowing your way around--nobody knows it all on the first day--but unless someone else wants to jump in here, I'd say you might want to check out https://help.ubuntu.com/ for official documentation, and http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community for help updating your system. I'd like to help more, but I'm probably not your best resource right now.
-Rob
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

Kn
Knuxchan

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:14 am Post

Well all I was trying to do was get the libraries updated, but I can't seem to find any information on that. I downloaded the glibc-2.12.2.tar.gz, but I can't seem to find any solutions on how to unzip and install the package.

And I found out that I'm not using Ubuntu. This computer has Xandros on it @_@

Thank you for providing those sites, by the way.

RobHamm

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 am Post

Knuxchan wrote:Well all I was trying to do was get the libraries updated, but I can't seem to find any information on that. I downloaded the glibc-2.12.2.tar.gz, but I can't seem to find any solutions on how to unzip and install the package.

And I found out that I'm not using Ubuntu. This computer has Xandros on it @_@

DOH! Sorry. That explains a lot. Since you mentioned reading through Ubuntu instructions at the beginning of the thread, I assumed that was what you were using. Unfortunately, I've never used Xandros, but--and this is just speculation on my part, so check check forums.xandros.com first, and back up your /lib directory--I imagine you'd just extract the tarball (the tar.gz file) into your /lib directory (as I said--after backing it up). If I'm wrong, you can put back the old /lib directory and nobody has to know.

You can find some instructions on using tar for extraction at http://www.computerhope.com/unix/utar.htm#03

YMMV, but for me, the command to make a copy would be

sudo cp -aRfv /lib /home/myusername/somedirectory

To unpack the tarball you should just be able to drop it into /lib and do

sudo tar -xvwzf glibc-2.12.2.tar.gz
-Rob

garpu

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm Post

YOu need to be careful when upgrading glibc, because gcc and some other things have to be upgraded, as well. Every program on your computer except for the kernel is compiled against it. You're far safer to upgrade by upgrading the distro, rather than just that program. It's not as simple as untaring a file and dropping it in.

(and now we're really beyond the scope of this forum)

I would suggest asking here: linuxquestions.org.

RobHamm

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 pm Post

*nods* Aaaaand that's the reason for my numerous disclaimers about not being sure, and the admonition to check another source before listening to me. Which I really hope you did.
-Rob

ca
catalinux

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:59 pm Post

@ Knuxchan

Run from Terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or

sudo apt-get upgrade

This should update your system with the latest packages.

Btw... Distrowatch listed Xandros as discontinued.
aptosid xfce/scrotwm amd64

Kn
Knuxchan

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 pm Post

catalinux wrote:@ Knuxchan

Run from Terminal

sudo apt-get update

I get this:
snapshot4.png
snapshot4.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

catalinux wrote:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I get this:
snapshot5.png
snapshot5.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

catalinux wrote:or

sudo apt-get upgrade

I get the same screen as above.

catalinux wrote:Btw... Distrowatch listed Xandros as discontinued.

What does that mean?

ca
catalinux

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 pm Post

The screenshots shows your system is up-to-date.

Discontinued means that distro is dead, so we shouldn't expect further versions.

If you still have problems with glibc, maybe you should ask on a specialized Xandros forum what to do next :)
aptosid xfce/scrotwm amd64