Beta 1.6 available

ca
catalinux
Platform: Linux

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:10 pm Post

karl wrote:Hi, I'm using Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu based). I downloaded and installed the deb package with no errors. However, nothing happens when I click the scriviner icon in the menu. Any ideas?

What happens if you try to run it from the Terminal?
aptosid xfce/scrotwm amd64

ka
karl
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:59 pm Post

catalinux wrote:
karl wrote:Hi, I'm using Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu based). I downloaded and installed the deb package with no errors. However, nothing happens when I click the scriviner icon in the menu. Any ideas?

What happens if you try to run it from the Terminal?

catalinux, you're a genius, it works! You won't believe this but I didn't thing of running it from the terminal :?

An
Antoxic

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:08 pm Post

go to main menu options, from System/Administration.
Browse to Office/Scrivener shortcut, right click on it, change application to application on terminal. Done!
You can find more instructions here http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10578&start=0

ka
karl

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 pm Post

Antoxic wrote:go to main menu options, from System/Administration.
Browse to Office/Scrivener shortcut, right click on it, change application to application on terminal. Done!
You can find more instructions here http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10578&start=0

Thanks for the tip. I tried this link but the wiki is down at the moment.

wm
wmsimon

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am Post

Same problem with XUBUNTU on a Thinkpad T22. Any suggestions?

ca
catalinux

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm Post

wmsimon wrote:Same problem with XUBUNTU on a Thinkpad T22. Any suggestions?

Press Alt F2, type scrivener, check Run in terminal, press Run. Or type scrivener directly in the terminal, press enter, and see what happens...
aptosid xfce/scrotwm amd64

wm
wmsimon

Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:17 pm Post

Thanks, catalinux, but I've discovered another method..:)

Update my system first, and then try the program before coming here and asking a stupid question..:) I think I'll go with THAT method from now on....:)

I updated the entire XUBUNTU desktop to XUBUNTU 10, tried Scrivener, and it worked like a charm.

It looks like I've got a lot to learn about Linux...:)

Thanks again!

catalinux wrote:
wmsimon wrote:Same problem with XUBUNTU on a Thinkpad T22. Any suggestions?

Press Alt F2, type scrivener, check Run in terminal, press Run. Or type scrivener directly in the terminal, press enter, and see what happens...

ra
randywallace
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:06 am Post

Hmm.. the need for 'Run in Terminal' seems rather necessary. Perhaps in the next iteration of my package, at the next Beta cycle, I could implement that into the Desktop Icon file thing.

Can anyone verify if /usr/bin/scrivener-beta (its a script) is causing the problem? I don't have XUbuntu so I can't mess with it. Regardless, XUbuntu, like normal Ubuntu w/XFCE instead of Gnome, should conform to /usr/share/applications/*.desktop specifications according to freedesktop.org.

Since the Icon shows up on XUbuntu but does not load, it is finding everything in the correct spot, though. Interesting... must be something in the script causing problems.

On a side note, you can execute scrivener-beta from the command line, or ALT+F2, if the Icon doesn't work :) the 'Run from Terminal' option is basically doing that step for you.
Ubuntu 10.10 i386 / Gnome

RobHamm

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 am Post

Hey, guys. I put together a deb for 1.9 and made it available as a torrent. See the post at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12114 for details.
:-)
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."