Running Scrivener on Linux

Ed
EdwardOwen
Platform: Linux

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:54 am Post

Progress! I can get Scrivener to open, and start a new project, but I can't open my existing project which was done on the Windows version (2.9) of Scrivener. I haven't tried going the other direction yet, but a step forward is a good thing. All of the help is greatly appreciated.

Ed
"Nothing beats the love of a good woman, but the affections of a naughty one are a close second. - Pocket Philosopher :D

Ed
EdwardOwen

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:00 pm Post

Success of a sort. Can get Scrivener to load from the terminal and have even been able to open my project created on Windows (which was not working a few days ago, cue Twilight Zone theme). Pasted the code for the desktop icon, that did not work, but typing "Scrivener" into the terminal is a small bother. It seems to take all the code just fine, but the final line says: "Office: command not found" Computer still smarter than the human using it at this point.

Here's where things take a left turn. When I have Scrivener open, if the window is maximized, the menu commands won't respond i.e., File, Edit, etc. Point and click and nothing. If I make the window smaller, they work just fine. I can load in a project, then resize the window and we're off and running. This feels like a bug, but given my experience thus far, I'm not ruling out human stupidity (mine, not yours).

I am still preaching the gospel according to Scrivener on Twitter, Facebook and my writers group, (people on the train and in the park look at me strangely, but at least I'm not telling them to repent, just write easier). Looking forward to getting everything 100%, up to and including the awesome little penguin logo sitting on my desktop (baby steps, have to take baby steps). This is not the easiest way to learn an operating system, but with ADD... Shiny!... it's the only way I know how. Thanks for the help, have a great weekend.

Ed
"Nothing beats the love of a good woman, but the affections of a naughty one are a close second. - Pocket Philosopher :D

ed
edf

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm Post

Here is the contents of my scrivener desktop file:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
Exec=/usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Categories=Office;
StartupNotify=false
Name=Scrivener
Icon=/usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/Scrivener_Logo.png
Terminal=false

Create a file on your desktop (from the terminal, this is the directory ~/Desktop) and name it Scrivener.desktop. Make sure to replace "/usr/local" with the directory you unpacked the Scrivener distribution to (it sounds like the same).

If you're using GNOME, you should be able to right-click on the desktop and create an 'application shortcut' (I think that's what they call it) instead of having to make a .desktop file manually.

na
nathanzal
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:42 pm Post

If you create it via console edit (or other text editor) remember to make it executable by owner via Properties -> Permissions or by

chmod +x <path to the .desktop file you just created>

If you do it by (on the desktop) left click -> Create Launcher... you can skip this step.

ed
edf

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:59 pm Post

Another fun tip: if you have KDE installed, you can run .desktop files from the command line using kioclient.

Example:

kioclient exec file:/usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte/Scrivener.desktop

be
beignet

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:59 pm Post

Running 1.0.1 on Kubuntu 10.04 and loving it. Installed the deb for 1.0.1 on another computer running Kubuntu 11.10 and while the install appeared to go fine and the program launches with no problem, I cannot open any projects, getting a segmentation fault and program crash. I can create, save, and export new projects, and can open with the "Recent Projects" option on the File menu, but File -> Open or Ctrl-O both lead to segfault and crash back to the CLI prompt from which I launched it.

Love it on 10.04 and will happily pay for the Linux version when it's ready, but any ideas on what's happening on 11.10?

ar
arran

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 pm Post

i need rpm package for centos 5.4
Arran

garpu

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 pm Post

Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

uriel1998

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:20 am Post

So with the Windows client up, any news on the Linux client? I've heard some grumbling in the background that we've been forgotten.

Again, I'd be willing to pay for what we already have...

ed
edf

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 pm Post

Again, I'd be willing to pay for what we already have...

Ditto. If the Lit&&Lat guys feel bad about it charging for beta software, then make it a token amount (ten bucks?) to get a non-expiring beta.

With the post-holiday work blitz now dying off, I'm starting to do more writing, and would like to know that my primary authoring tool is not going to stop working right when I'm in the thick of things.

tr
triffidz

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 pm Post

edf wrote:Ditto. If the Lit&&Lat guys feel bad about it charging for beta software, then make it a token amount (ten bucks?) to get a non-expiring beta.

+1 to this.. I'm happy to pay or otherwise contribute to maintain reliable access to Linux Scrivener. I have WIndows in VirtualBox for site testing, but I'd really rather not spend any time there. It spoils the mood.

gplauche
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:53 am Post

triffidz wrote:
edf wrote:Ditto. If the Lit&&Lat guys feel bad about it charging for beta software, then make it a token amount (ten bucks?) to get a non-expiring beta.

+1 to this.. I'm happy to pay or otherwise contribute to maintain reliable access to Linux Scrivener. I have WIndows in VirtualBox for site testing, but I'd really rather not spend any time there. It spoils the mood.

+1
Geoffrey Allan Plauché, Ph.D.
Writer, Editor, Web Designer
Founder Libertarian Fiction Authors Association
GAPlauche.com

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
(Who watches the watchmen?)
-Juvenal, Satires VI.347

gl
glaedr
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm Post

I wouldn't mind paying a little bit if there were a way to guarantee that it'd work to a certain level on my distro/desktop. But that would be rather difficult. Beta is always going to be buggy in some ways of course, but for the past couple of months I haven't been able to even load the program, for example. And I would have been extremely unimpressed if I'd paid for Scrivener only to have this sort of thing happening later.

Fu
FunkyStickman

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 am Post

He, just installed the Beta (in Ubuntu Studio 10.4) and I'm already loving it. Used to run yWriter, but Scrivener is so much better!

I also would be willing to pay for a non-expiring Beta. Add me to the list!

uriel1998

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:54 am Post

glaedr wrote:I wouldn't mind paying a little bit if there were a way to guarantee that it'd work to a certain level on my distro/desktop. But that would be rather difficult. Beta is always going to be buggy in some ways of course, but for the past couple of months I haven't been able to even load the program, for example. And I would have been extremely unimpressed if I'd paid for Scrivener only to have this sort of thing happening later.

I must be exceptionally lucky; I've yet to have a problem with any of them (Ubuntu 10.04, Openbox as WM/DE). What distro are you running?