Running Scrivener on Linux

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:01 pm Post

This is just a link to the already well established wiki page on the topic:

http://literatureandlatte.com/wiki/doku ... r_in_Linux

This page contains a how-to for WINE, as well as running it natively, and getting the tutorial working.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ka
karl
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 am Post

Does anyone know when the wiki will be back up?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:45 pm Post

Should be pretty soon now. I've got the replacement set up; and just need to fix the stylesheets a bit so it doesn't look like a sore thumb.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ka
karl
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:45 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Should be pretty soon now. I've got the replacement set up; and just need to fix the stylesheets a bit so it doesn't look like a sore thumb.

Thank you :D

al
alba

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:55 am Post

I am wondering if this wiki still up to date? The instructions for the native version are for a zip, and they do not seem to work for 23.
Are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 pm Post

Actually...for wine-scrivener, I don't think the dll's are necessary anymore, just the stuff via winetricks. I just installed Slack 13.37 to my laptop, didn't copy them over, and things appear to be working fine.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

al
alba

Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 am Post

I apologize. I mean for the Linux native version, not Wine. The instructions on the wickey seem out of date.

co
copystar

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:19 pm Post

I'm new to Scrivener and new to Ubuntu as well. I followed the manual install instructions that are currently on the wiki (recognising that I had to use 'tar' instead of 'unzip') and I *think* everything worked as it should.

But typing in 'scrivener-beta' in terminal gives me a "command not found". Has the command changed? Is the command directory dependant?

I would like to try out Scrivener on Linux to see if it's able to create EPUBs as I was inspired by this post: http://blog.threepress.org/2011/06/02/c ... scrivener/

JG Starsoupsky

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 am Post

copystar wrote:But typing in 'scrivener-beta' in terminal gives me a "command not found". Has the command changed? Is the command directory dependent? /

Depending on how you installed it, yes, it can be directory dependent.
One method for finding the needle-in-the-haystack, if you have no idea where the executable/application is, is to do something like this:

Code: Select all

sudo updatedb
locate -i scrivener | egrep bin
# or possibly
locate -i scrivener

uriel1998

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:15 am Post

The beta 24 tarball has the executable in:

~/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/Scrivener

Just untarred it myself, used the shell script mentioned here, and it runs like a charm. Speedier than earlier builds, I think.

Dang near as easy as the .deb. (I use Ubuntu 10.04.)

Oh, and if you want launcher-y goodness, I mocked up a logo:

(save the image file; I saved it to ~/.icons ). Fire up your favorite text editor and edit:

~/.local/share/applications/Scrivener.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Scrivener
Exec=/home/USER/PATH/LiteratureAndLatte/bin/scrivener.sh
Terminal=false
Icon=/home/USER/.icons/Scrivener_Logo.png
Categories=Office;

JG Starsoupsky

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:43 pm Post

uriel1998 wrote:
Oh, and if you want launcher-y goodness, I mocked up a logo:

Awesome. Thanks for this and for the instructions.

Ed
EdwardOwen

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 pm Post

OK, I am having flashbacks of editing FORTRAN code in college (yes, I'm that old). I get the basic idea of the Terminal (I'm running Ubuntu 11.04) and I've tried to follow all the instructions I can find, but I'm not getting the program to run. So instead of writing my novel, I'm typing, copying and pasting endless lines of code only to be told, in polite computer language, that I'm an idiot and have no idea how to do this properly. I'm very happy to no longer be using Windows, and I love Scrivener, I just need to get going. If there is someplace to find step by baby step instructions, that would be great. Thanks for all your hard work and happy that there is a Linux version.

Ed
"Nothing beats the love of a good woman, but the affections of a naughty one are a close second. - Pocket Philosopher :D

uriel1998

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 pm Post

EdwardOwen wrote:OK, I am having flashbacks of editing FORTRAN code in college (yes, I'm that old). I get the basic idea of the Terminal (I'm running Ubuntu 11.04) and I've tried to follow all the instructions I can find, but I'm not getting the program to run.

First - are you using the .deb package or using the tarball? The instructions and help will be a bit different for each.

EdwardOwen wrote:So instead of writing my novel, I'm typing, copying and pasting endless lines of code only to be told, in polite computer language, that I'm an idiot and have no idea how to do this properly.

Would you mind telling us exactly how it's telling you that it's an idiot? (I'm hoping for "scruffy nerfherder", but...)

Seriously, though, the precise error messages will help.

Ed
EdwardOwen

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 pm Post

I got Scrivener installed, I think, but cannot either locate the file to get it to run, or I have not installed it correctly. I tried a .deb file, but Ubuntu told me the file was corrupted so I downloaded the tar file and went that route. I have tried both the Download directory and putting the file on the Desktop, but neither seems to work. I copied and pasted the codes directly from the wiki and the forum, but apparently I'm not doing it right. It says "Command not found" or "File or directory does not exist". I know this is not beyond me, I just need step by step directions (cut and paste code is a bonus) and I will get this. Your help is greatly appreciated (your cookies are in the mail).

Ed
"Nothing beats the love of a good woman, but the affections of a naughty one are a close second. - Pocket Philosopher :D

na
nathanzal
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:59 pm Post

It doesn't matter where you put it. What matters is that the system can find it. If you look at this:

echo $PATH

It tells you everywhere the system will look to find a command when you type it without using an absolute pathname.

My system outputs this:

echo $PATH
/home/nathan/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

Notice "/usr/local/bin." By convention, that is where binary executables -- or links to them -- that you install would normally go, although there are competing conventions.

Do this step, where "<directory>" is wherever you decided to unpack the tarball (the instructions in the Wiki are for /usr/local/LiteratureAndLatte):

sudo ln -s /<directory>/bin/Scrivener /usr/local/bin/

What you're doing is creating a symbolic link from the absolute pathname of the Scrivener binary executable into the /usr/local/bin directory, so that "/usr/local/bin/Scrivener" will be there for the system to find when you issue "Scrivener" as a command form the CLI or using some other means. For instance,

which Scrivener

should output something. Note that if you install the .deb package, it puts Scrivener in /usr/bin. If you don't have /usr/local/bin in your PATH environment variable, change the "ln -s" to point to /usr/bin instead. You can also change your PATH variable, but that's another topic entirely.

You can create a desktop file like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=scrivener
Type=Application
Exec=Scrivener
Terminal=false
Categories=Application;Office;

and double click on it to launch Scrivener. You can add an icon, too, but figuring out how to do that is a different kind of fun altogether.

Nathan