[SOLUTIONS] Paddle License engine fails in Wine

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4794
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:34 pm Post

MrBeardie wrote:
AmberV wrote:It will be there once you get into the order process. If I recall correctly the order of events is:

  1. Insert email.
  2. Region info.
  3. Then there will be a link to insert a coupon code below the payment icons.

Once you do that step, the cart should reduce to whatever your discount is for, and you can complete the order. At the conclusion, your serial number will be sent to the email address you gave in the first step.

No, I'm not seeing any place to insert the coupon code.
Screenshot at 2021-03-25 08-23-46.png
I've blanked out my email address but otherwise, this is what I see. The rest of the background is empty until you get to the page footer.

Given that your image says you're trying to purchase Scrivener for MacOS…

:D

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
MrBeardie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: The hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
MrBeardie wrote:
AmberV wrote:It will be there once you get into the order process. If I recall correctly the order of events is:

  1. Insert email.
  2. Region info.
  3. Then there will be a link to insert a coupon code below the payment icons.

Once you do that step, the cart should reduce to whatever your discount is for, and you can complete the order. At the conclusion, your serial number will be sent to the email address you gave in the first step.

No, I'm not seeing any place to insert the coupon code.
Screenshot at 2021-03-25 08-23-46.png
I've blanked out my email address but otherwise, this is what I see. The rest of the background is empty until you get to the page footer.

Given that your image says you're trying to purchase Scrivener for MacOS…

:D

Mark

I hadn't noticed that but, as I had gone through the process to purchase a Windows license I only see that as yet another Paddle issue. I'll try again from the beginning and hope that, if I get through to the right spot, that I can remove the extraneous item from the basket.
Running Scrivener for Windows on Linux Mint 20.1

User avatar
MrBeardie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: The hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:46 pm Post

After Mark ("xiamenese") pointed out that the item in my basket was for MacOS, even though I went through the steps to purchase the Windows one, I tries again. I ended up with the correct item but now have another problem; When first retrying the activation from within SCrivener and it said that code had already been issued it should as much of the code as would fit in the dialogue window. The problem is that, due to my name being a little too long for it, it did not show the whole code. When I tried to use what code was shown in the purchase process it told me it was invalid.

Given that we no longer have any Windows machines in our household, what can I do to get my activation code for Scrivener3?

BTW, I now have two items in my Paddle basket with no option to delete them, What happens there?
Running Scrivener for Windows on Linux Mint 20.1

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2110
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 pm Post

MrBeardie wrote:BTW, I now have two items in my Paddle basket with no option to delete them, What happens there?


I was given a spot underneath my total (Add Coupon) in small, red print to add the coupon code. Once I did, my total was zero, and I got my serial via email. (So put in a real email address.)

When I got my serial number (It's twice the length of the coupon code), I was able to put it into the Scrivener activation, and it went through. Note, I have dotnet 4.62 installed via winetricks. it'll fail installing 4.5, but that's fine, because we only need 4.62 installed.

Here's the place where you enter the code:

Screenshot_2021-03-24_18-26-26.jpg
Screenshot_2021-03-24_18-26-26.jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

User avatar
MrBeardie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: The hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:44 pm Post

garpu wrote:
MrBeardie wrote:BTW, I now have two items in my Paddle basket with no option to delete them, What happens there?


I was given a spot underneath my total (Add Coupon) in small, red print to add the coupon code. Once I did, my total was zero, and I got my serial via email. (So put in a real email address.)

In the message you quoted a small part of, I stated the problem I have with the code. i.e. I was unable to retrieve the whole code, leaving my in a situation where I'm stuffed.
Running Scrivener for Windows on Linux Mint 20.1

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24862
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 pm Post

Given that we'll have different messages beneath the cart price, depending on regions, maybe we have something messed up with the settings for Australia? For me, I see "Add Coupon" next to "Add VAT Number", for the EU region, where you see "Add ABN"
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
MrBeardie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: The hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:49 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Given that we'll have different messages beneath the cart price, depending on regions, maybe we have something messed up with the settings for Australia? For me, I see "Add Coupon" next to "Add VAT Number", for the EU region, where you see "Add ABN"

I posted above that it was pointed out to me that somehow I ended up with the MacOS product in the basket instead of the Windows one. The new problem is that I have been unable to retrieve my full upgrade code and need help, both with that and with emptying my Paddle basked.
Running Scrivener for Windows on Linux Mint 20.1

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24862
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:42 pm Post

I don’t think there is a cart at all, and if there is, a simple cookie reset should suffice I would think. In fact, to solve both birds with one stone, I’d try in an incognito tab as well—without any extensions running. We can’t reproduce what you’re seeing, even if we VPN to Australia and check the site from there, this is what we get:

Image

In the message you quoted a small part of, I stated the problem I have with the code. i.e. I was unable to retrieve the whole code, leaving my in a situation where I’m stuffed.


When you start up the software and see the demo panel, the full coupon code should be printed there in a field you can copy and paste from. But if for some reason you’ve reset the installation or something and have lost your coupon, then get in touch with support and share the fragment of the coupon you have. They can help you retrieve the full string from that or your email address.

Given that we no longer have any Windows machines in our household, what can I do to get my activation code for Scrivener3?


And after that, maybe try buying from your phone or something if you can’t get the browser working. I don’t know what’s going on there, but it doesn’t really matter what you use to go through the checkout in a web page. Linux, Windows, tablet, public terminal at the library…
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
MrBeardie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: The hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:54 pm Post

AmberV wrote:When you start up the software and see the demo panel, the full coupon code should be printed there in a field you can copy and paste from.

Thanks for that but clearly you see something I don't when you start the software because I have absolutely no idea of what you mean by "the demo panel". On a fresh install in a new Wine bottle, after the initial window that allows you to enter a code, continue in demo mode, etc. I see only the new project selector.

I'll contact support and see what they can sort out for me.

Reality: It just shouldn't be this hard and Paddle need to eliminate all this hoop-jumping. What should have happened is that it checked the V1 code for upgrade validity and, if it qualifies, immediately issue and use the new V3 key and send an email with the details.
Running Scrivener for Windows on Linux Mint 20.1

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24862
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:57 pm Post

On a fresh install in a new Wine bottle, after the initial window that allows you to enter a code, continue in demo mode, etc. I see only the new project selector.


To reiterate what I went on to say there, after you generate a coupon it stores that in your settings and displays it in that panel on subsequent launches, until you use it or activate the software and remove the panel.

Obviously, if you do what amounts to reinstalling Windows on a formatted hard drive, you’re not going to see the saved state of whatever was there beforehand. :)

Reality: It just shouldn’t be this hard and Paddle need to eliminate all this hoop-jumping. What should have happened is that it checked the V1 code for upgrade validity and, if it qualifies, immediately issue and use the new V3 key and send an email with the details.


I think it’s going to be unusual to find a vendor that lets you do that. Serial number gen is typically a closely guarded algorithm for obvious reasons, and it’s not in the software. Thus that means sending enough information about you to create a record tied to that information. If that happens, then we at the very least need your consent to do so, and the three click (for free rebates) shopping cart process is that form of record building and consent to store the record, in action.

But this is probably getting to be a little too abstract of a discussion for this thread.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
MrBeardie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: The hills east of Melbourne, Australia

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:14 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
Reality: It just shouldn’t be this hard and Paddle need to eliminate all this hoop-jumping. What should have happened is that it checked the V1 code for upgrade validity and, if it qualifies, immediately issue and use the new V3 key and send an email with the details.


I think it’s going to be unusual to find a vendor that lets you do that. Serial number gen is typically a closely guarded algorithm for obvious reasons, and it’s not in the software. Thus that means sending enough information about you to create a record tied to that information. If that happens, then we at the very least need your consent to do so, and the three click (for free rebates) shopping cart process is that form of record building and consent to store the record, in action.

But this is probably getting to be a little too abstract of a discussion for this thread.

II think you misunderstood what I was saying. When Scrivener, via the Paddle software/API or whatever is used, sent the V1 code to Paddle for verification. Paddle detected that it was not valid for Scrivener3. That much at least did happen.

At that point the Paddle system should have checked to see if it qualified for the free upgrade and, if so, generated a new V3 key, responded to Scrivener that the key is valid and also sent me an email to advise of the new V3 key for my own records. It's Paddle that should have done all that, not Scrivener.

There are no privacy issues or any other problems associated with such a process. Paddle already have all the details they require, otherwise, the upgrade code could not have been generated. No new information about me needs to be sent anywhere. Scrivener and L&L would not be involved in the process at all.

As for the technical side of such a process, it's trivial to implement in code. I have implemented such systems myself and can therefore speak from experience.

I'll drop the subject now and simply wait for support to respond.
Running Scrivener for Windows on Linux Mint 20.1

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24862
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm Post

I mean, obviously you're right. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

gr
grac
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:01 am Post

same problem with different settings: wanting to pay with paypal with a coupon (i had an existing licence):
paypal does not load, and when i click on "go to paypal directly" there is an error message saying i use an outdated browser.

which means: the link leads me to IE11, which i don't use.
i don't use any MS browser, only firefox, which works perfectly with paypal.

so my question is: why does your link go to an outdated and not preferred browser?

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24862
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am Post

grac wrote:which means: the link leads me to IE11, which i don’t use.


I’m guessing you’re on Windows then, and this is a thread with Linux tips mostly. But that aside, as noted in this same thread, you can still finish the upgrade process in a manner that is applicable to everyone that can generate a coupon from the software.

so my question is: why does your link go to an outdated and not preferred browser?


This is also answered in the thread you are responding to.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles