Bug Report - Blacked Out Text[BUG LOGGED]

Ch
Chryse
Platform: Windows

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:04 am Post

Having the same issue. Blackout on all my pages. I turned the highlight off and it's fine. Weird, too, because I don't recall turning the highlight *on*. I typed directly into Scrivener, am running XP on a computer a few mos old (whatever version that would be), and am using Scrivener v 1.3

St
Starnyx

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:51 am Post

I just had the same issue with the blacked out text showing up. I've cut and pasted (quick keys) from Google docs as well. It seems like several people have this issue from Gdocs or cutting and pasting across programs.

I'm hoping it goes away but so far closing and opening hasn't helped. Perhaps after a restart it will clear up. No one's posted if it disappears after time.

I'm using Beta version 023.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:02 am Post

I'll give this a look tomorrow too, as I've had it happen repeatedly with certain documents in the Tutorial, even in beta 023 (on Win 7 64bit). Only recall seeing it in a document that also included other (intentional) highlighting and an inserted image, and the text is accessible if I select it.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

pi
pindarninja

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 pm Post

I have had similar problems with a text pasted from a website. When pasting the text into Scrivener, it retains the font and font size from the website. I can change the font to the default in my document, but Scrivener stubbornly refuses to change the font size. After a few unsuccessful attempts at adjusting this, it blacked out my text. I had to delete the pasting and try again (unsuccessfully- to change the font size).

So two seperate issues: why is Scrivener refusing to let me change my font size, and why is the text being blacked out when I try repeatedly to change it?

I am using a Vista computer, with files saved on my Dropbox and edited also on a Mac computer.

MimeticMouton

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:53 pm Post

Hm, the instance I get is in the Tutorial on Step 3: Footer View--text toward the top, just above the yellow highlight, is highlighted in black. It appears this way in 10.rtf in the Scrivener program files for the tutorial, if you open it in another editor, so it's not just a sporadic thing the way others are talking about, but I wonder if it's related to either a) the old issue a few betas back where colors went on a value scale and so ended up "blacking out" things (e.g. the annotations were black, footnotes were black, etc) or b) the "viral highlighting" problem where certain invisible characters pick up formatting and won't let it go, causing adjacent text to pick up the formatting and so on. (For instance, if in the Step 3 document you turn on "show invisibles" and remove all the black highlighting, the surrounding pilcrows retain the highlight, so closing the project and reopening, or even just clicking around in a few other documents in the binder and then back to the Step 3 will cause the paragraph to revert to black highlighting.)

(beta 023, Win7 64bit)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ro
rorimandi

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 am Post

This is also happening to me with any text that I copy and paste into Scrivener from either Word or Google Docs.

Since I primarily plot in Scriv and Write in Google Docs, this bug is why I can't really use the software. Please help. There isn't even a shortcut to quickly revert the "highlighting" (background color).

Ja
Jasoon391

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 am Post

apalimpsest wrote:I am having a similar issue. My blacked out text came from text I copied and pasted from google docs. In addition to this bug, I am somehow missing or cannot view the "font toolbar" (which I can see in the tutorial version of Scrivener but not in my current project). I also tried to un-highlight the text with no results. Everything is black (text and highlighting) and I cannot find a way to fix it. Please advise.

I am also having a similar issue. My blacked out text came from text I copied and pasted from google docs.

DavidR

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:25 pm Post

A similar problem was reported, also several years ago, in this thread. The suggested solution was to select the text and then choose Format > Highlight > Remove Color. Worth a shot, if you haven't tried this already.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Ch
ChristopherBest

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm Post

Indeed, it's strange. Looking forward to support.