Crashes when clicking on "Research"[ADDRESSED]

eg
egernunge
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:17 pm Post

Scrivener crashes on me when I click on "Research" in the binder. It also crashes when I click on one specific folder in Research. The only thing in that folder is text (created in Scrivener, not imported).

I have no problems with any of the other folders (neither in Research nor in Draft). I have also no problem when I click on the text in the "crashing" folder - just when I click on the folder itself. It doesn't matter whether I'm in corkboard view or outline view.

The error message that I get is just the standard Windows error message.

I run XP.

olorinpc

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:13 pm Post

Hi and welcome!

Haven't run into this issue myself, so a couple of quick questions that might help myself or others with this one:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9100

Have you gone to that thread and downloaded the replacement Scrivener.exe? (It isn't an installer, but goes in your Program Files/Scrivener folder and replaces the existing Scrivener.exe file)

If you haven't done that - that will get you up to the latest version with a few bug fixes in there.

Second question - which template are you using? Blank one? Fiction one? or the NaNo template?
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

eg
egernunge

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:45 pm Post

Thanks for the welcome.

Anyway, I figured it out. Apparently it was one of the text files in the "crashing" folder that was causing the problem. I deleted that and Scrivener no longer crashes. Of course, the question now is what it was in the text file that caused the crashes. :?

olorinpc

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 pm Post

Ok good news. I have seen a couple of threads on issues with large files. Perhaps check and see if you have a very large file. Curious if that might cause it.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

eg
egernunge

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:06 pm Post

It wasn't that large, only about 1000 words. It was a long list with bullet points though. I just tried to make a text file with the same text but without the bullet points, and at least so far that seems to be working.

olorinpc

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:29 pm Post

Ahh ok - that makes sense. I think I have seen a couple of issues relating to bullet points too. Might try a couple of those too in case someone has tips there.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

va
vanessago
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:53 pm Post

This sounds very much like the bug I encountered in my "Characters" folder in post viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9078

I thought I got rid of that problem by deleting the troublesome file, but in fact it's recurred now - in the same Characters folder.

Vanessa

se
sent
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:31 pm Post

I found the same bug, only by doing [rightclick] on 'Research' -- then Scrivener crashes..

I've tried this with a empty project and a large-files-filled research directory, on both Vista-running computers.

I guess it crashes on wantin to load an scrivenings/corkboard view of all research files and/or "figuring out" what manu to represent.