Disappearing em dashes[BUG LOGGED]

User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:56 pm Post

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just something that happens upon importing, but when I import files, all instances of em dashes are removed. They don't leave a space in their absence; the words just run together instead. It's made it easier to spot where they used to be, but I thought I would make note of it in case it really is a bug and not just an unfortunate side effect of importing.

Right, almost forgot - running Windows 7 home premium on a 64-bit Dell Studio XPS 1640.
Testing Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC, Intel i3 processor
Don't blink. | 2010 & 2011 NaNoWriMo Winner!

Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:38 am
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 pm Post

I'm having the same problem, exactly as described by the previous poster.

Using Windows Vista, Word 2007, on a Lenovo ThinkPad.

Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:01 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:36 pm Post

This happens with any inserted characters, even those that are available from the keyboard. If I insert the % it will not import in rtf format but if I add through the keyboard then it works fine...... Here is the interesting part....

This import failure of inserted characters occurs only when I save the file as rtf in MS Word... if I copy-paste or open the rft file in OpenOffice and then save it as rtf it will import with all the special/imported characters from the Open Office saved file.

User avatar
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Hampton Roads

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:52 am Post

There are a LOT of documented import issues that I know the developers are working out.

Personally, I found all my format woes created on import could be easily avoided by taking format out of the original file completely. So I copied my test into Notepad (which has no format). Then I'm copying the now format free text out of Notepad and into Scrivener. Now i'm dragging and dropping segments without any text glitches at all.

I understand that this can't work for everyone. I did not use italics or bold print in the manuscript I'm editing, otherwise I would have lost all of that.

I had very different import problems involving smartquotes being in different fonts and things that caused me to find this work-a-round.
I am running Scrivener Beta 1.4 onWindows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 3 installed on a Acer Aspire One netbook computer. I am also running it on Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop.

Check the Bug List before you post!