***29th OCT - CURRENT BETA 1.2 IS VERSION HERE***

Ku
Kukuschi
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:46 am Post

LAP wrote: It's not just the software - it's all of us chasing our crazy writer dreams and having the guts to live out our passions, we just happen to congregate in a community around some great software.

Amen! :)

StarTigress
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 am Post

Thanks a bunch! :D
I <3 Scrivener for Windows Beta. Thanks to everybody who helped create it!!!

"A pen went scribbling along and when it tried to write love, it broke...." ~Rumi

da
darkhorse

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am Post

LAP wrote:It's not just the software - it's all of us chasing our crazy writer dreams and having the guts to live out our passions, we just happen to congregate in a community around some great software.

That's part of what attracted me to Scrivener in the first place. The good people here, with their enthusiasm and wit and sense of fun. There are lots of tools a writer can use to put the words in order (and I've tried most of them, and none has a feature set like Scrivener!), but communities are priceless. Thanks, Lee, for all your hard work getting a Windows version out there so more of us have a chance to not only use a wonderful tool for writing, but also a chance to join the Scrivener community. Because finding a place where our crazy dreams and passions are shared and we are not alone? That helps to kick depression and loneliness right out the door. I don't know too many writers who don't need that. :D
Ubuntu 10.04 i386 / Gnome
No matter how ephemeral it is, a novel is something, while despair is nothing.
--Mario Vargas Llosa

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:44 am Post

LAP wrote:...it's tempting just to shut the door and go to our programming caves without sunlight

What is this "sun" of which you speak? :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ya
yam655

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:12 am Post

tuttle wrote:I tried to install this update, but got this error message:

An unexpected error is preventing this operation. Make note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem: Error 0x80004005: Unspecified Error.
Scrivener
Type: Application
Date Modified: 29/10/2010
Size 4.19 MB

I got this error when I tried to copy from the ZIP file to the Program Files\Scrivener folder directly. (Reproducibly.)

I did an "extract all" for the ZIP file, then the copy worked as it is supposed to.

The dialog box's title was "Copy Error"? Try extracting the file first. It looks like the source of this particular issue may be Windows itself.

LAP

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:37 am Post

Ah, the 'sun' garpu. Tis a bright light that shineth upon mortal men in a galaxy far from yours.

tu
tuttle

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:53 pm Post

yam655 wrote:
tuttle wrote:I tried to install this update, but got this error message:

An unexpected error is preventing this operation. Make note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem: Error 0x80004005: Unspecified Error.
Scrivener
Type: Application
Date Modified: 29/10/2010
Size 4.19 MB

I got this error when I tried to copy from the ZIP file to the Program Files\Scrivener folder directly. (Reproducibly.)

I did an "extract all" for the ZIP file, then the copy worked as it is supposed to.

The dialog box's title was "Copy Error"? Try extracting the file first. It looks like the source of this particular issue may be Windows itself.

Thanks, yam655! I did extract then try to copy, but that's when I got the message.

After reading your reply that it "may be Windows itself," I thought to delete the downloaded zip, download it fresh, and start again...and the whole thing worked like a charm!

La
Laxaria
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm Post

LAP wrote:Ah, the 'sun' garpu. Tis a bright light that shineth upon mortal men in a galaxy far from yours.

Yay Lee has a soul! And a writing urge.

Psst: Write your NaNo in C++ code. :D

kd
kdbertel

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:35 pm Post

Lee, I think a lot of us understand that fixing the rtf stuff is going to be more involved than daily. Do what you need to do--if that mean disappearing for a week, so be it. I think the rest of the community can help with that some, too.

te
teacherguy66

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:46 pm Post

Thanks for the updated exe file. I had no problem installing it. And I appreciate all you're doing so we can follow our crazy writer dreams. Scrivener has helped me plan my novel for NaNoWriMo, and I plan on using it this November (tomorrow!) to start writing. Lee, I appreciate your hard work and your openness, and I'm getting to know some kindred spirits in this Scrivener community. Thanks for welcoming in us Windows users.

LAP

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:59 am Post

I've had this damn novel idea for the past three year, it just keeps nagging me. It wants to come out. I've outlined, character arched, got all my turning points lined up, read a dozen books on writing. But I've only written the first three chapters. Scrivener for Windows has been the perfect prograstination strategy.

My goal for 2011 will be to get Scrivener 1.0 out there, work on 2.0 and finish a first draft of the novel - 'done and dusted', then 2012 for 2nd, 3rd and final draft. That's the dream.

As for C++ code, We're already way past 50,000 lines of code so entering NaNo c++ style with Scrivener source wouldn't be fair; however, I would qualify for 50% of Scrivener for Windows which is quite appealing I guess :)

Lee

mn
mnashp

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:41 pm Post

no problems with install on windows 7 64 -- all as promised!

loving the project word count and daily tally - great incentivator ;-) GO NANO!

and much much appreciation for LAP and team ;-)

li
lizbee

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:38 am Post

Just a quick question-- I replaced the .exe file as stated, but I keep getting UAC prompts on Windows 7 (32 bit Ultimate). I gave the .exe permission to run as administrator, and now, per the troubleshooter, I'm running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode. Do you know of any way to override the UAC prompts? I never got it with Beta 1.

km
kmiles

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 am Post

I tried clicking to get the 1.2 version - I get a 404 page not found error. I get that for both the exe and the zip.

Is the 1.3 beta version out there? if so, I can't seem to find a link to it. How do I get that downloaded so I can continue testing?

Thanks.

Ba
Batni

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 am Post

I'm with kmiles on the 404 errors for both the beta 1.2 and wanting a beta 1.3 zip.

After som frantic searching I found a new download link on the official Scrivener for Windows page.
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... index.html
I'm downloading the Beta 3 file now. Joy! :D