Bug: No way to undo Autopopulate of index card[NOTED]

sa
sablebadger
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:16 am Post

Minor issue, but frustrating nonetheless.

I had no idea what the autopopulate button did, so I clicked it (it's a problem I have).

It over wrote all my notes for that chapter, and there was no way to get it back.

I lost the information, which was kind of useful.

Ro
Rovi

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 am Post

I had the same clicking disease. What it did to me was copy the first line or two of the document. Then it took me forever to learn I have to double click... not single click.. in the card text area to change it to what I wanted. But any changes I made there did not alter the text in the document... Your actual document changed??

Rob

mightygitis

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:15 am Post

So are you saying it changed the document, or it changed the synopsis for the document? If it is the latter, I think that's what it is supposed to do. It is a button that changed the synopsis for you.
I am running Scrivener Beta 1.4 onWindows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 3 installed on a Acer Aspire One netbook computer. I am also running it on Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop.

Check the Bug List before you post!

el
eldestmuse

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 pm Post

It's really unintuitive, but there is a way. I had a similar issue and asked about it on the Technical Services forum here -- viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9010

pk
pking36330
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm Post

The tutorial says that:
"You can auto-generate a synopsis by clicking on the button in the top-right of the inspector: if any text is selected in the editor, it will be copied into the synopsis; if no text is selected, the first few lines of text will be used."

But I haven't been able to successfully select text (by curson highlighting or even by copying) and then selecting the 'auto-generate' icon to transfer my selection onto the index card.

Very minor.

sa
sablebadger

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:24 pm Post

Sorry, to clarify my original post:

it changed the synopsis for the document.

I wrote the whole plot out in notecards in a fit of inspiration, and I'm going to be relying on my memory for that first chapter of what I wanted to write.

LAP

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback. The usability of index cards in general has been raised previously. The general discussion went along the lines of the following:

Current functionality:
- Single clicking a notecard in the corkboard selects the card and bring it up in the inspector.
- Once a notecard is selected, double clicking in the Title or Synopsis fields of the notecard or inspector, selects all of the text within that field. Single clicking doesn't select anything.
- At this point, a single click in the selected field will deselect all of the text and place a cursor at the point of click.

Proposed functionality:
- Single clicking a notecard in the corkboard selects the card and brings it up in the inspector.
- Once a card is selected, single clicking in the Title or Synopsis fields of the notecard or inspector places a cursor at the point of click. Double clicking would still select all of the text within that field.
- At this point, a single click in the selected field would still deselect all text and place a cursor at the point of click.

This would make it function more like the typical Windows program. This is an issue we will investigate.