Opening Mac 2.0 Project[ADDRESSED]

Ra
RavenCorbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:31 am Post

Background:
I have downloaded the preview of the Mac 2.0 version and also the Windows beta. My hope was to be able to open the same project in both computers.

What I did/expected to happen:
I have been using Dropbox for all my back-ups, and I just recently saved the new version of my project in the Mac 2.0 version into Dropbox.
I went to open the project from the Dropbox in the Windows beta. I went to Dropbox and saw all the .scriv files. I checked the Mac to make sure which one was in the new, updated version, and I clicked on it. I was expecting to see my project.

What actually happened:
Instead of opening the project, it opened it as a folder, showing a whole bunch of .rtfd files.

Attempt #2:
I went in and actually typed out the file name.

What actually happened:
It beeped at me and said it could not open the file.

How to reproduce:
I’m not sure really. It’s possible I’m doing something wrong. The only way I can think of to reproduce it would be to open a Mac 2.0 project in the Windows beta.

User avatar
olorinpc
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Jamestown, ND USA
Contact:

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 pm Post

Hi Raven - did you make sure to save the Mac version?

The Windows version isn't looking for the folders (which the mac version sees as packages) but looking specifically for the "project.scrivx" file contained within the first level of folders.

I had this issue yesterday when trying to import MacScriv 1.x projects into the Windows beta. I had to download the Mac 2.0 beta, open and upgrade the projects *Save*, (which then created the project.scrivx file), and only then could I open it in the Windows beta.

Hopefully that helps. Also, might be an issue if you are opening on both machines at the same time. I think there might be a locking file, but the key is that project.scrivx file.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

co
cor_stellae
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:19 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Costa Rica

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:00 pm Post

I just did the same thing. But when I opened the folder, there was a file in there with the new Scrivener logo and the name of the Scrivener project. I opened that file and voilá, my whole project was visible in Scrivener for Windows. It's great. I'm already working on it.

A few issues:

- I work in Spanish, therefore I have a lot of accents, ñ, and other characters. When I see the documents in Outline view, the "Synopsis" shows many wrong characters. Exemple: Módulo 1 Normas generales

- My document has a lot of bulleted and numbered list. I see, at the first glance, that there are a few problems on the original format (indents). It doesn't recognize hierarchies properly. (I attached a JPG to show how it looks).

- It has renamed the files with words that had an accent. It automatically splits the accented words into two characters: the accent and the letter. It looks like this: Mo´dulo 1

Everything else appears to be perfect: all documents in due order, I can see PDF files. I didn't have any web archive in this project, but I may test that tomorrow.
Attachments
scrivener hierarchy problem.jpg
scrivener hierarchy problem.jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 976 times

User avatar
olorinpc
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Jamestown, ND USA
Contact:

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 pm Post

cor_stellae wrote:- I work in Spanish, therefore I have a lot of accents, ñ, and other characters. When I see the documents in Outline view, the "Synopsis" shows many wrong characters. Exemple: Módulo 1 Normas generales


Hi cor_stellae - I know I have seen reference to this elsewhere in bug hunt threads. I would search around and see what other users have been reported, but I think it has been listed and logged as a bug. I suspect the same thing that causes the odd characters causes the documents to be renamed, but might be worth starting a thread on that as well.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

co
cor_stellae
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:19 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Costa Rica

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 pm Post

Yes, after I wrote this post I found the thread. It was reported in regard of some characters in german, I think.

Ra
RavenCorbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 am Post

It must have been that I had the Mac version open at the same time -- that didn't even occur to me (gah, I'm going to be a terrible beta tester). It opened fine tonight. I did, however, save it beforehand, so I knew it wasn't that. Thanks for the suggestion!